Disposable Diaper Recommendations (to use for the first few days-then switching to cloth) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody have any disposable diaper recommendations for the first few days? I plan on switching to cloth, but would like to use disposables until the meconium passes.

Has anybody used the Tushies disposables for their newborns? What do you think?

Thanks!

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#2 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Seventh Generation. They are unbleached materials and don't seem to cause any ill effects. I used them on my first for emergencies, but otherwise used prefolds. They are pretty easy to find too...our grocery store here carries them. 

#3 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM

I don't have a suggestion for disposables, but, just so you know, meconium didn't stain for us.  You can use cloth from the start without doing anything special.  We just threw those in the wash (cold wash, then hot wash) like any other breastfed stool and it came right out, no stains.  Now those mustard-yellow breastfed stools...  Those can be tough to get out without sunning.  

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#4 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
mra

Thanks! I go back and forth, pondering whether I should just go ahead and start with the cloth. It will only be me and hubby, so I also wonder if it would just be easier to use disposables for the first few days. I'm completely new to cloth and I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the choices and ways to care for cloth diapers. With a new baby, I'm not sure that I'll be up for doing wash for the first few days.

#5 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 03:49 PM

I like Seventh Gen as well, but we'll be using the Earth's Best diapers this time. I will be using them in the hospital,then switching to cloth at home. I can't imagine the prissy picky nurses in our OB dept even considering using cloth. With my last DS I took my own diapers, baby wash and stuff and got all kinds of weird looks and lots of questions.

Jess,mama to Brycenangel2.gif , Elijah, Jonaah and Josiah
#6 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 PM

We used Nature Babycare.  I hated Seventh Generation when our daughter was a newborn, although they are certainly easier to find than Nature Babycare, I just think they are a much better and more environmentally friendly diaper than Seventh Generation.

#7 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Another vote for Nature Babycare.  I haven't used them on a newborn, but they worked great for my daughter when she was older.  I bought them from Amazon and used Subscribe and Save to get an additional 15% off.  

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#8 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
mra

I just found the Nature Babycare on Costco.com. Must be new for them because I know they weren't there a few months ago when I checked the diapers. They also have GroVia starter sets online now, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page