Best Pads for After Birth Bleeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What kind of pads work best for after birth bleeding? Will I need those huge, long, super padded ones?

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#2 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM

Crashing here...Don't laugh, but for immediately after birth and a day or two after I wore Depends shy.gif They felt more like underwear and less bulky. They also didn't leak over the sides like the pads did. After my bleeding lessened a bit I went straight to the Super Overnight pads (the thin ones worked fine for me) with a Depends for night time (hated leaking on my sheets when I would wake up to pee and stuff would gush...ya know) It does depend on how much you are bleeding...if I recall correctly after my last I really enjoyed prefolds. They absorbed faster than the pads and with it folded in three I didn't have too many issues with it bleeding through. Much more comfy on your skin than the plastic :P

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#3 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 AM

This shop makes my favorite pads. I'm not sure if you're into cloth pads though. Yea, you will probably need the big, long ones. Or at least I know I did the last two times.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#4 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 AM

With DD I used what I used in Jr high because well.... what is what I knew.  They were Always ultra thin long with wings.  I got a terrible reaction to them.  Infact my midwife says to NOT use Always because a lot of people have a reaction to them.  I did find that the Stay free I think (purple package) didn't irritate me.  I do need the long and heavy ones but.... thin.  I think I might buy a pack of depends this time around too (so sexy I know)  So to answer your questions no they don't need to be thick but long really helps!

Big Momma

#5 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolian View Post

This shop makes my favorite pads. I'm not sure if you're into cloth pads though. Yea, you will probably need the big, long ones. Or at least I know I did the last two times.

I've been contemplating cloth pads—but I wasn't sure if they would be enough for the postpartum bloodbath I've heard so much about. Would overnight cloth pads be okay, of should I look specifically for postpartum ones? Or should I just suck it up and go with disposables for the first week or whatever?

#6 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

I have only used disposable postpartum, but I do get some pretty heavy periods otherwise and cloth has always worked very well for me! I'm now building up my PP stash. Overnight would probably work, but some pad makers do make some specifically for PP. You can also sometimes get a pretty good discount buying them all together.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#7 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Crashing here...Don't laugh, but for immediately after birth and a day or two after I wore Depends shy.gif They felt more like underwear and less bulky. They also didn't leak over the sides like the pads did. After my bleeding lessened a bit I went straight to the Super Overnight pads (the thin ones worked fine for me) with a Depends for night time (hated leaking on my sheets when I would wake up to pee and stuff would gush...ya know) It does depend on how much you are bleeding...if I recall correctly after my last I really enjoyed prefolds. They absorbed faster than the pads and with it folded in three I didn't have too many issues with it bleeding through. Much more comfy on your skin than the plastic :P

yeahthat.gif I second the Depends! Just way easier right after, I bleed way too much for cloth in the beginning.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#8 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 AM

OP, you do need some big pads in the beginning, I think for a week or so?? I bled for about 6 weeks last time, but of course it tapers off a lot after the beginning.  Def have the big ones on hand.

I've been using cloth forever for my periods, but I thought you were supposed to use disposables for PP? I know that I had to use them for my miscarriage, and I read in a couple places that you should do the same for PP. Am I wrong, was that just an anti-cloth bias? I do worry about not getting them clean enough, since I use shared laundry services. Baby will be cloth diapered but I won't toss my pads in with the dipes and I really don't want to have to do two PITA washing routines. I guess I'll use disposables but I REALLY am opposed to all those chemicals, and the all-natural ones are far too expensive to use for PP. *sigh*

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#9 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
mra

We walked by the Depends in Costco the other day and my husband joked about the fact that I should just wear them after the baby comes. Maybe I will, at least for overnight to avoid leakage all over the bed and my clothes.

I'm trying to stock up with all the necessary items now.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#10 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post

OP, you do need some big pads in the beginning, I think for a week or so?? I bled for about 6 weeks last time, but of course it tapers off a lot after the beginning.  Def have the big ones on hand.

I've been using cloth forever for my periods, but I thought you were supposed to use disposables for PP? I know that I had to use them for my miscarriage, and I read in a couple places that you should do the same for PP. Am I wrong, was that just an anti-cloth bias? I do worry about not getting them clean enough, since I use shared laundry services. Baby will be cloth diapered but I won't toss my pads in with the dipes and I really don't want to have to do two PITA washing routines. I guess I'll use disposables but I REALLY am opposed to all those chemicals, and the all-natural ones are far too expensive to use for PP. *sigh*

I can't find any info about not using cloth. The only thing I can find about post partum bleeding is to avoid tampons or other internal devices for collecting blood because it leaves you more prone to infection. I wash all my dipes together no matter what is on them. Granted I'm washing them at home and not through a service.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM

I second what bigmomma said. Always feels super plastic and my midwives have said to never use them. I really likes the StayFree ones in the purple package. I think they are overnight.

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#12 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM

My HB midwife said no tampons, cup, or cloth pads in the PP period.  No clue why, maybe sanitary reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandcheese View Post

I've been contemplating cloth pads—but I wasn't sure if they would be enough for the postpartum bloodbath I've heard so much about. Would overnight cloth pads be okay, of should I look specifically for postpartum ones? Or should I just suck it up and go with disposables for the first week or whatever?

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#13 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 02:38 PM

I just ordered a bunch of PP mama cloth from a WAHM I learned about on Facebook. I am SO GLAD I won't have to use disposable pads—I just recall them making me feel so sticky and awful the last time I used them. My Diva cup has spoiled me over the past few years! After doing a little reading and talking to some people over the last few days, I became convinced that mama cloth is the way to go (especially since we are already doing cloth diapers, so the extra laundry will be a non-issue. 

#14 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 PM
myk

i'm getting depends for the first couple days just cause i KNOW they're easier than pads. then i'm going to switch to the Stayfree night time pads, which are fairly big in terms of panties coverage, but still quite comfortable. i'm a heavy bleeder when AF comes and normal pads don't cover me, the stayfree ones do. look for the ones with what look almost like "wings" in the back as well as the wings that go around the crotch of your panties. that extra inch of coverage (which is paper thin, not padded) protects your panties a little better. absorption i find is better than many. i've also used the plus-size Always pads but i hate them because of the plastic cover.. they don't breathe, and just end up feeling nasty in no time. coverage and absorption is good, but the "dry weave" cover or whatever.. not comfy.

i've thought about getting cloth, too.. probably way more comfy than disposable pads! but it's not a priority at the moment.

January 2011
#15 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM

I use a Diva cup normally because I cannot stand disposable products in any form and man has that thing spoiled me  so I went ahead and made up a batch of about 9 PP pads for myself and also have a package of the Stayfree pads on hand. I figure if I don't like one I can use the other. When things slow down a bit I will definatly be using the Super absorbancy mama cloth I made.

I am also going to make a few PUL/microfleece crib size wet pads for the baby and plan to use those in my bed for the first few days just in case there are any leaks. That way I don't have to worry about stain removal on sheets which can be a hassle.

#16 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Over here in the Netherlands they recommend the very big pads in the first week. And absolutely no plastic lined pads (such as Always!). Always paper based pads. I am stocking up on Kotex (don't know if you have it over there) next to the big ultra postpartum pads. Normally I use a MoonCup, but will have to wait again with using it again. Last time I tried to use cloth pads, but it was such a tiny wash and I had little pads, so it was easier for me to use disposable. Also, the cloth pads I had were literally a PITA because they would turn whilst wearing. Flipping upside down in the back if you know what I mean.

#17 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM

I just finished up my first very own batch of mama cloth last night!  I had 2-3 x-large cloth pads already, and I made up 6 more.  The first one was funny looking, but by the last four they looked awesome.  I have one more extra hemp insert that I will probably use to make one more pad.

nicolian likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page