how far dilated and effaced should we be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know every women is different but I am just asking out of curiosity this is my third pregnancy and with my son I don't ever remember being more than about 2 cm at any doctors visit and with my daughter I was 2 cm and 80percent thinned out the morning I went in for my c-section. But I have had a horrible kidney infection for the last week and went in to the hospital to see my doctor that was on -call and she decided to monitor me for a bit and check everything out while I was there and I was about at a 1.5 cm and 50 percent thinned out which I didnt give a second thought because I figured at 35 weeks I should be "something" but my sister was with me and when the doctor left the room she asked if I was worried about pre-term labor , (which I'm no)t but she said that being dilated at all now is not normal. So after allllll that I was just wondering what every one else thoughts on this was?? 

p.s. the doctor didnt say anything about it either, so I think my sister is just over reacting as she normally does.winky.gif

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#2 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
myk

with DD1 i was neither dilated nor effaced at 37w. with this one i am not dilated but somewhat effaced, as of a couple weeks ago.

January 2011
#3 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I actually had a pelvic friday becasue I thought I might be leaking and I am thick and closed.  As I was with number 1 and 2 until labor really got going. However my best friend walked around 4 cm and thinned out for 5 weeks with her number 2 and 3.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#4 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM

I was 2cm and 70% at my 36 week appointment last week. I was 1cm and 50% effaced at 28 weeks (went from closed and thick to that while in L&D and that landed me a hospital stay on Mag and steroid shots). Pretty sure that I'm a good 3cm now. DD1 came at 37 weeks. DD2 didn't come until 39 weeks - with her I walked around at 3+cm for 2 weeks.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#5 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 PM

With my first at 41 weeks when I was induced I am pretty sure I was pushing 2cm and just soft. 

With my second I started softening at 35 weeks and I think by 37 weeks I was already at 3 and 50%. I just thinned out a bit more until my labor started at 41 weeks. 

With this one I had my 36w5d appt and had my midwife check me and she said my cervix was closed but very soft. 

So who knows why I was dilating sooner with my second than the other two. Maybe because he was bigger?

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#6 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've heard of moms being dilated a cm or even a few for weeks before the baby comes so I turned down the cervical checks in late pregnancy last time.

I think you're right on with your PS. If the doctor felt it was concerning, s/he would have said something.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't worry.  It can be perfectly normal to be dilated and effaced at 35 weeks.  It's purely anecdotal, but I was 3 cm and 80% effaced about 7 weeks before I gave birth the first time (no pre-term labor).  I think I walk around like dilated like that with each of my pregnancies.  They've all been fairly quick labors, but none have been pre-term or even really early (6 days early, 5 days early, and on my due date).  Maybe it's more indicative of how fast labor will be as opposed to how early?  I don't know, though.  shrug.gif

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#8 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Not sure of dilation, effacement, station with my first.  She came at 37+4.  Not sure with this one either.  I don't get checks.

I can tell you for sure though, that you will be around 10 cm, 100% effaced, and +5 when baby is about to be born.  thumb.gif

#9 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

lol...that is so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

Not sure of dilation, effacement, station with my first.  She came at 37+4.  Not sure with this one either.  I don't get checks.

I can tell you for sure though, that you will be around 10 cm, 100% effaced, and +5 when baby is about to be born.  thumb.gif

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page