S/O Those planning a homebirth, are you taking a hospital tour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I saw the thread about hospital birth and tours. I'm wondering about the home birth crowd. There is only one hospital within a 30 minute drive so if we need to transfer, we are likely going there. So I figure doing a tour is a bit silly but maybe I should consider doing one anyway?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't even registered there yet, I should do it one of these days, so they have me in their system in case of emergency.

For me, the transfer will be due an emergency or to go and have the c-section. So honestly, I don't think I will care that much about the rooms and the environment.

The other comforting thing is that my midwife works as a L&D nurse there so she will orient me in the environment pretty quickly I think. So no tour for me. Hospitals depress me and leave some anxious feeling about something bad going to happen. I know it is irrational, but I don't have good memories about hospitals.

#3 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Nah... no reason to expect to go to the hospital.  If I do have to go, my midwife will be going with me, and I figure she is familiar with the hospitals in the area.  IMO it would be a waste of time for me to take a tour.

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#4 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 AM

No, I won't be taking a tour.  If there is an emergency, we will dial 911 and go to the nearest hospital.  Whatever interventions are necessary, are necessary at that point.

#5 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM

I haven't done a hospital tour for any of my homebirths.  I don't think it's necessary.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#6 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM

i did one when i first moved here, that is one of the reasons im doing a home birth now!!

but seriously, im aslo glad i did, i like knowing the layout of places, in case i ever need to go there i know where things are and feel a bit more on top of things.

it was a really depressing tour

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm registered at the local women's hospital, and it is a NCB-friendly hospital. I used to work in the building (although not in L&D) so I'm not too concerned about taking the tour.  As I'm planning a homebirth, it's a crapshoot whether or not I'll be able to score a room with a waterbirth tub (they are first come first serve), but I figure that in the event of a hospital transfer, that probably won't be my highest priority...

My midwives will still be my primary caregivers in the event of a hospital transfer, and they are super familiar with hospital policies, so I will just rely on them. 

#8 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM

You may want to ask your midwife what she thinks.  I figured I should go and pre-register and take the tour, but my MW said she wouldn't bother with it.  That pretty much made the decision for me (and DH), we didn't really want to have to deal with it anyway :)

#9 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM

DDDC

I did the tour when I was pregnant with my first (and planning a homebirth). We ended up having to transfer after the birth for retained placenta. We were on the maternity ward for 36 hours and I was kind of glad to know where everything was (fridges for parents to use, visiting lounge) and to know where we could park and what door to use. Our midwives had come with us (we're in Canada and that's standard) but they don't stay for 36 hours after your baby is born so I did appreciate not feeling totally lost. This is all kind of nice stuff to know because considering transfers can be a bit of a whirlwind and you probably won't get told a lot of that stuff in the chaos.

I too found the tour totally depressing and it actually kind of helped steel my resolve to stay home when I hit transition and was feeling like maybe I wanted some drugs. winky.gif

All of that said, I wouldn't say that it's a MUST DO or anything...just go with what feels right for you. We're in a new community now, new hospital and I have no intention of doing the tour this time (3rd homebirth).

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#10 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

vtamanda - Good point. I have my birth team meeting on Friday so I think I will ask then.

The local hospital is pretty small so I don't expect there to be a lot to see. I already know they don't have telemetry units for FM. I know three L&D nurses (two run the local BFing support group and one is a mom friend) and might even be able to arrange just popping by the maternity ward....

I am pretty sure my midwife doesn't have any experience with this hopsital. She is a relatively new midwife and I don't think she's had huge number of births in my town.

I didn't even think about preregistering. Another question for the midwife.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#11 of 11 Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM

I didn't do a tour.  Upon my hospital transfer, my midwives came with me and there were no issues.  I had been under the care of an OB in the system early in the pregnancy, so they had a lot of my information.

I won't be touring this time either.  Not before, and hopefully not after, labor starts.

Send happy HBAC thoughts, ladies.

XO

Xen

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page