Anyone else GBS+? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I looked & didn't see one of these threads yet, sorry if there is one already.

This is baby #3 for me but my first that I've been GBS+ with. I really don't want to be tied to an IV pole in labor but I don't like the 1:200 odds of a sick baby. What are my options? My MW told me over the phone and said we'll talk more at the next appointment (Friday) and I want to be prepared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm GBS negative, but when I got the test I asked my OB what would happen if it was positive and he said they would give intermittent antibiotics.  So, at least at my hospital, they give you the iv antibiotics through a hep lock when you get there, then unhook you and hook you back up later.  You're not attached to the IV the whole time.

I hope that helps. 

#3 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM

i would look around in the general I'm Pregnant section there are a lot of talks about GBS

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM

I tested GBS+ for the first time as well. I was really upset because I want to have a homebirth. My midwife told me it is really no big deal and not an impediment to homebirth at all. She also said their protocol would be the same regardless if we delived in hospital or at home. For me she has prescribed antibiotics that I have bought and will keep at home. When I go into active labour and she comes to the house she will administer the antibiotics via iv. It will be through a heplock. She said that the she will administer a dose which will take about 20 minutes to go through the iv. She then removes the iv leaving just the heplock until 4 hours pass and then she will repeat. If my water was to break prior to labour starting then I would have the option of having the antibiotics started earlier. I know there is some question about the use of antibiotics for GBS* status but for us it is the right choice to have them.

Kelly 

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#5 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM

I was also GBS+ and opted for antibiotics. I had one dose via IV with a helplock when my water broke (before active labor started). It look about 30 minutes to administer the dose, and then the IV was removed. The heplock stayed in, and was not really bothersome. I would have had a second dose 4 hours later, but my little one was born just 2 hours after the first dose, so there was no time.

#6 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Just make sure you are taking a good probiotic!  I got NASTY nasty yeast infection from the ABX and because it was my first I didn't know what thrush looked like and 6 weeks later when we caught it, it was SO out of control we couldn't cure it.  But I was 18, had NO support, and didn't know breastfeeding was NOT supposed to be *that* painful.

My midwife swears by FemDophilus, I used it along with Grapefruit Seed Extract (also good for battling yeasties) to sway for a negative GBS swab.  I would start on two Femdophilus & 5 drops of GSE (both orally) until you deliver.  You may even be able to talk your caregivers into a repeat test in a couple weeks?

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#7 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM

This is also my third and my first time testing GBS+. Where I am delivering they require all VBACs to have a hep lock in anyway. My midwife said they can just hook the antibiotics up to administer them then disconnect after I have gotten my dose. 

I also asked about pro-biotics and she said to remember to remind the nurses to give me acidopholus afterward. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#8 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I went to L&D a few weeks ago and they tested me there. I was +.  My doc is re testing me this friday because that one was so early.  I am doing Hibiclense because I do NOT want abx if I  can help it.  I will also do Hibiclense during labor.  I talked to my midwife and she supports this option and my Dr. well she doesn't need to know.  I was neg for DD so this is my first time dealing with this!  I am on a good probiotic now too.

Big Momma

#9 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

I am.  I was last time as well.  I was hooked up to an IV the whole time, which wasn't super fun.  I think I would have been regardless at the hospital I delivered at.  This time I'm having a repeat c, so it's not an issue.  I also tested positive at the beginning of the pregnancy, took antibiotics and it's still there.  I think I'm in the minority that always have that bacteria present. 

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#10 of 11 Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Your options probably depend on your provider and possibly your pediatrician as well. I was GBS+ in my first pregnancy (have my swab coming up on Friday for this pregnancy). I saw hospital birth midwives for my first pregnancy and was told getting antibiotics is the best decision. I mentioned Hibiclens as a vaginal wash and was told that the CDC does not recognize that protocol. The midwife also warned me that if I refused abx that depending on my ped that s/he may recommend that my newborn needed to have blood drawn or be taken to the nursery for observation. (At that point, I hadn't picked a ped.)

So I decided to go with the abx. If you go with abx, my advice would be to make sure you go to the hospital (if having a hospital birth) as well hydrated as you can get yourself. I went in a bit dehydrated so the nurse decided to run fluids as well so I ended up being hooked up the IV even longer.

I'm having a homebirth this time. My midwife has done abx as an intramuscular shot for clients who opt for it. If I test positive, I am tossing around the idea of using Hibiclens (which my midwife does acknowledge as a possible protocol) unless I end up with another risk factor (prolonged rupture of membranes, maternal temperature) in which case I would opt for abx. Although I'm not sure how my hubby will feel about that....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#11 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

naturally- you can overdose on acidophilus, echinacae, and do a goldenseal douche.  Then get re-tested.  

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page