Car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you gotten a new one? Have you put it in a car yet?  Are you putting it beside other child's carseat?  We have a SUV & a small car. I'm wondering if I should have one car seat on each side or if I should put baby in middle beside DS.  No clue how the 2 r gonna fit in our car since DS carseat is in the middle right now. 

We have the chico brand travel system one from last time-so a base in both vehicles & one car seat.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#2 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 05:59 AM

We did buy a new seat this time. We purchased a Britax Chaperone. I was going to get a Graco Snugride but we got a good deal on the Chaperone so went with it. We have the base installed in our van. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with the two captains chairs in the centre so the base is installed in one of those. We also do have a small sedan but with 4 kids there is no way that we would ever take that vehicle (it's my husband's commuter car) so we will just leave the one base in the van.

When we had two kids we had them both installed in the outboard position. Technically we should have placed the least protected seat (so our forward facing daughter) in the middle and our rear facing son in the outboard but a) it was extremely squished and b) our daughter would not leave our son alone so we felt it was better to have a little space between them.

Kelly

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#3 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM

we have a small car, so we are going to put them behind each seat, I don't think it will fit in the middle of our car. We got a snugride from a friend and then we will get a convertible probably with #2 is a few months old, DD #1 got huge very quickly and it was easier using the convertible when she was 4 months. We have not installed the car seat yet because it may be possible we could get snow at some point before or after I deliver and my DH car is the only 4-wheel drive, so depending on how the weather is this year, we may need to switch back and forth because we haven't gotten an extra base yet. Otherwise, we didn't use the extra base for my first at all, we just never drove anywhere in my DH car, so I am not sure if we are going to buy another one just for a few months.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#4 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 AM

I have a britax boulavard 70 with the infant positioning insert.  It is not installed yet mostly because Big Daddy is going to get his kids from Christmas to New year so it is just going to be easier to not have it in the suburban.  Usually it is just going to be DD and little man in the suburban with me or me, big daddy and my mom with the kids.  I am going to have the baby in the middle middle seat.  Big Daddy is very tall and I am pretty sure the BLVD won't fit rf behind the drivers seat and the seat behind the passenger seat has to be able to fold to let people in the 3rd row.  I hope to get a honda pilot in a few months and I really want captains chairs in the 2nd row. 

Big Momma

#5 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am planning to use the same infant seat for this new one as I did for my toddler. (At least until I get sick of it and decide on a convertible.) I haven't installed it yet and am starting to feel a bit itchy about doing it. Yet I am still a teeny bit hopeful that we will get a new (to us) vehicle to replace my hubby's truck so I'm holding back. I currently drive a Civic and my toddler is in a True Fit. I feel that the best (and probably only) plan will be to have both seats outboard. I saw a thread in Family Safety about having a newborn and toddler and many there felt that having them both outboard is the better plan especially since it allows some space between the toddler and newborn (this thread was talking about having the toddler still rearfacing which offers more safety than forward facing). I was having some guilt over: moving my toddler out of his center position and not having the opportunity to offer the center position to my newborn. So that thread made me feel much better.

The vehicle we are thinking about getting is a Mazda5 which has two captain's chairs in the center row (it's kind of a mini-minivan). So in that case, outboard is really the only option unless I feel like putting them in the third row. Hubby still brings up the idea of a minivan but I feel like that's a bit overkill for our family.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#6 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 AM

We have a Blvd from ds.  I don't think Abbott will fit in it immediately, but someone gave us a bucket seat, not expired, to use for a couple months or so.  I have no idea how to set the seats up....  We have dd, who is not in a carseat anymore, she really needs to be by a window, shes so tall and sometimes gets carsick.  Ds has a high back booster, but it won't work in our new (OLD) car.  So I had to order him a smaller scale booster.  I guess I will try to put him in the middle, that way I can get to the baby.  This has stressed me out for months now.  lol

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#7 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM

I got the babe an Evenflo Triumph convertible seat since I love DDs Triumph so much.  I have a Honda Odyssey, and the baby's car seat is in the middle captain's chair, DD's is FF in the captain's chair behind the driver's side, and DS is in the 3rd row FFing in an Alpha Omega Elite in the 3rd row passenger side.  When the older two ride, they will have to climb over his car seat, but it frees me to at least be able to fold down one of the seats for hauling stuff.  I have not used an infant seat since DS 13 was a baby and I was just never impressed.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#8 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

I had to buy a new carseat because our old one expired so I bought a Safety 1st Onboard 35 which is a bucket seat.  It is supposed to be one of the best for fitting small babies.  I'm much more comfortable having a baby in a bucket seat than a convertable especially since I was expecting a small baby (and that is what I got!).  I installed it just to make sure I could get a good install in my car and then took it out.  I'll install it again when we get to bring him home.

We have a mini van so I plan on having my son in back in a booster, my daughter in the back in a 5point harness and baby behind me.  I can kneel on the seat in front of my daughter and buckle her in relatively easily.  My son can unbuckle her so I plan in enlisting his help for that.  :)

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#9 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM

I was reading this same thread and also relieved to hear it's better all around to put them both outboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

I am planning to use the same infant seat for this new one as I did for my toddler. (At least until I get sick of it and decide on a convertible.) I haven't installed it yet and am starting to feel a bit itchy about doing it. Yet I am still a teeny bit hopeful that we will get a new (to us) vehicle to replace my hubby's truck so I'm holding back. I currently drive a Civic and my toddler is in a True Fit. I feel that the best (and probably only) plan will be to have both seats outboard. I saw a thread in Family Safety about having a newborn and toddler and many there felt that having them both outboard is the better plan especially since it allows some space between the toddler and newborn (this thread was talking about having the toddler still rearfacing which offers more safety than forward facing). I was having some guilt over: moving my toddler out of his center position and not having the opportunity to offer the center position to my newborn. So that thread made me feel much better.

The vehicle we are thinking about getting is a Mazda5 which has two captain's chairs in the center row (it's kind of a mini-minivan). So in that case, outboard is really the only option unless I feel like putting them in the third row. Hubby still brings up the idea of a minivan but I feel like that's a bit overkill for our family.

Our infant bucket seat isn't expired and less than 4 months of use from our DS, so we'll use that in the cold winter months. I don't have a garage! Then we'll switch to the Decathlon that DS recently outgrew and keep keep him RF until that expires (we've got two years) and then see what we do from there! 

I'm not super worried about having it installed, we live literally 5 minutes from the hospital and I'm pretty confident my DH can put it in after he's born if need be. I'm only 34 weeks so not itchy quite yet. :)

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#10 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 PM

we were given 2 of those same seats, the Safety 1st Onboard 35 from a awesome military thing that helps outfit soldiers families so that answered what we were getting even before i could get the research done. we have not installed them ,but in light of this weeks medical twists it is not top of our list and i was just waiting for a day were it wasn't actually in the 20's and snowing, i may just need to buckle down, pun kinda intended.

Lisa did you have any issues with the seat when putting it in? we will definitely go to one of those places certified to help you, since i have never put a car seat in before. I can rebuilt most of a car, but i still know how many folks do it wrong so I'll let folks help me on this one!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
myk

i ordered the travel system but it hasn't arrived yet. we drive a tiny car - honda Fit - and the only way 2 kids will fit in the car will be beside the doors, not in the middle. it's not ideal but it's what we've got. we can't fit a higher-weight bucket seat behind our seats (my husband is huge and MUST have the seat all the way back) so we're getting a standard 22lb limit bucket seat. once katie outgrows that, i intend to get the TrueFit since the head rest can be removed, making it smaller for rear-facing.

i'm lucky, a friend is a car seat tech. i'm really good at putting in car seats, but i'd like a professional second opinion :)

January 2011
#12 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

myk - Check out this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1273907/angsting-about-where-to-put-each-carseat-20m-old-and-nb

I like my True Fit. My infant seat is also 22 lbs but I don't think it's much of an inconvenience because I'll be sick of lugging around the seat + baby way before 22 lbs!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#13 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 AM
mra

We bought the Britax Boulevard 70 but haven't installed it yet. We will probably install it around 37 weeks (two weeks from now) and go have it checked to make sure it is installed correctly since we have never had to install a carseat. I just read that 7 out of 10 are installed wrong.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#14 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 AM

When you guys who are new to putting in car seats go to have them installed make sure and let the tech know that you would like to know how to do it and if they can explain what and why they are doing stuff as they put your seat in. I thought I'd be there for a little bit but the guy who first put mine in was way faster than I thought. Your going to have to pull it out and put it back in at some point and it's good to know how to do it yourself correctly.

I think some of the things that people do wrong could be fixed if you actually read the entire manual and follow the directions (like you cannot use both the LATCH system and the seat belt at the same time) and then other things that I've found *everyone* in my family does wrong is that they don't put it in tight enough. The tech said that you should be able to rock the car if your rocking the seat, I personally have to kneel in the seat and pull the straps tight to get it right. I've seen seats literally just *sitting* in the seat. :( The chest clip (must be armpit level) and the straps (shouldn't be able to pinch together length wise) being tight enough are another big thing I think is done wrong a lot of the time. 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#15 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 AM

using the same infant seat we had for DS (chicco keyfit).  As for the layout of your seats in your car, have you tried posting in "Family Safety" they tend to know what configuration of seats will work. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#16 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM

after searching and searching, we finally found a bargain on a car seat - it's a graco snugride 32, brand new but it was manufactured last year and in a discontinued pattern, so it was only $99!!  I'm so relieved - that was one major purchase that was still outstanding. I'm sure I won't use it as a carrier for that long, but there's no way we can afford a convertible seat right now - they all seem to cost in the $250-400 range. The same day, I found a graco snap n go stroller frame on craigslist for only $35 - so we figure that even if we get tired of carrying it around by the time baby is 30 lbs, we can use it in the stroller frame. 

Hopefully by that point at least one of us will be employed again, and we'll be able to afford the next step, even if it is more money overall.

#17 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM

I thought it was very easy to install and I was able to get a rock-solid install with no movement at the belt path (you want less than 1-inch of movement at the seatbelt end--remember the front will move quite a bit more, but that is OK) plus I really like the indicator that tells you when it is installed at the correct angle.  I was able to get it installed at the correct angle using the latch system, but I didn't try it with a seatbelt.  I'm thinking that when it is time to move it upright a bit more (at 11lbs according to the directions), I may need a towel or pool noodle to get the correct angle but we will cross that bridge when we get there.  Just as an FYI, I always have to put my entire weight on a carseat to get a good install.  For the infant seat, I kneel on the base, not on the seat.

MYK--my 4yo isn't even 35lbs yet so I'm sure Micah will be out of the infant seat long before he reaches the weight limit.  I ended up with one that goes to 35lbs only because it is supposed to be a good one for fitting small babies also.  Both kids were technically too small for the Snugrides I have used previously (the straps were above their shoulders even though they met the weight limit) so since I had to buy one this time I made sure to get one to fit a tiny baby.

#18 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Mine are always cemented in (we have the other parent climb into the seat), but two mistakes I was making was not using the anchor when FFing, and I didn't realize my car's LATCH limit was 40 lbs and after that needs to be removed from the latch and secured with a belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post

When you guys who are new to putting in car seats go to have them installed make sure and let the tech know that you would like to know how to do it and if they can explain what and why they are doing stuff as they put your seat in. I thought I'd be there for a little bit but the guy who first put mine in was way faster than I thought. Your going to have to pull it out and put it back in at some point and it's good to know how to do it yourself correctly.

I think some of the things that people do wrong could be fixed if you actually read the entire manual and follow the directions (like you cannot use both the LATCH system and the seat belt at the same time) and then other things that I've found *everyone* in my family does wrong is that they don't put it in tight enough. The tech said that you should be able to rock the car if your rocking the seat, I personally have to kneel in the seat and pull the straps tight to get it right. I've seen seats literally just *sitting* in the seat. :( The chest clip (must be armpit level) and the straps (shouldn't be able to pinch together length wise) being tight enough are another big thing I think is done wrong a lot of the time. 

jessica_s likes this.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#19 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
myk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post

I thought it was very easy to install and I was able to get a rock-solid install with no movement at the belt path (you want less than 1-inch of movement at the seatbelt end--remember the front will move quite a bit more, but that is OK) plus I really like the indicator that tells you when it is installed at the correct angle.  I was able to get it installed at the correct angle using the latch system, but I didn't try it with a seatbelt.  I'm thinking that when it is time to move it upright a bit more (at 11lbs according to the directions), I may need a towel or pool noodle to get the correct angle but we will cross that bridge when we get there.  Just as an FYI, I always have to put my entire weight on a carseat to get a good install.  For the infant seat, I kneel on the base, not on the seat.

MYK--my 4yo isn't even 35lbs yet so I'm sure Micah will be out of the infant seat long before he reaches the weight limit.  I ended up with one that goes to 35lbs only because it is supposed to be a good one for fitting small babies also.  Both kids were technically too small for the Snugrides I have used previously (the straps were above their shoulders even though they met the weight limit) so since I had to buy one this time I made sure to get one to fit a tiny baby.

i'm smiling because kids are so different - my DD1 was 15 lbs by the time she was 2.5 months old - and she was 3 weeks early! she outgrew the bucket seat by the time she was 6 months old. are you going with a snugride35? i think the chicco one starts at 4 lbs, might be a better fit for a wee one :) my friend had a nearly-6 lb baby that couldn't fit the straps of a snugride either, i was surprised.. hopefully the one you got fits properly when micah's ready to drive around!

January 2011
#20 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 PM

I have the Safety 1st Onboard 35 and I got the version that goes down to 4lbs.  It has a very nice padded insert that you use with tiny babies and then remove parts of it as they get bigger.  This one and the Chicco were the ones recommended when I asked for seats for small babies and the Safety 1st was a bit cheaper so I went with it.

Every kid is so different!  My kids seem to stay small for a while and I don't think either of them were 20lbs by the time they were a year old.   By the time my kids were 6-8 months they were happier in a convertable anyway because they could be more upright.  I'm happy because my carseat was only $99 (I found it on sale on Amazon) because I doubt I will even use it for a year, but we will see.  Maybe Micah will be content in it for a while (even though after he hits 15lbs or so, the carseat will be staying in the car because it will be way too heavy to lug around!).

#21 of 22 Old 12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
myk

oh, your seat sounds perfect then! they don't sell that one in canada, but i saw it online and wished they would, it makes so much sense. i'm going to be lugging a heavy baby and car seat for some time, given how nasty the winters are here.. i'll wait as long as possible so that she'll have a comfy warm seat instead of a freezing one in winter. and try to avoid the hot seat in summer, too, if she lasts that long. i'm pretty convinced i'll only carry it in and out of the building, not carry it around for longer periods.

January 2011
#22 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM

We just spent way too much money, and got the car fully detailed in and out, in anticipation of installing the new car seat. The car is 3 years old, but now looks brand new again! I'm loving having a fresh, clean start for the baby. We were going to install the seat yesterday, but the steam-cleaned interior is still kinda moist, so we'll wait a few days so it can dry out. By pure luck, we got a really great deal on a new Britax convertible... it was at Babys'r'Us, on clearance, and they were having a two-day sale where all clearance-priced merchandise was marked down another 30%, so it came out to just over $100. So happy! My friend has an earlier version of this same seat, and it has taken her from her child's infancy to now (he's over 5 and 1/2 years old!). Between having the car seat and having the crib, it really does feel like this is going to happen, we really are going to have a baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page