Placenta Encapsulation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know I promised that I would post instructions on how to encapsulate the placenta for those interested.  I know some of you are getting close, so I want to make sure I get this posted before babies start to arrive!  orngbiggrin.gif

Placenta Encapsulation Instructions

Oh, one thing, I do suggest you use a coffee grinder as opposed to a blender.  Blenders don't work nearly as well or efficiently.  I recommend you put the dried placenta pieces in the lid of the coffee grinder (as opposed to putting the pieces in the coffee grinder itself), then put the lid back on (with the grinder still upside down), turn the grinder on, then flip the grinder over so the pieces fall into the already turning blades.  Then just kind of keep tilting the grinder from side to side as it grinds.  That's the best way to get the pieces ground.  I hope that makes sense!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know. smile.gif

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#2 of 4 Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM

can i ask why in general you steam it first? and why the additives while steaming, i keep wondering if there is real info on this or is it just how its always been done?

my gut says keep it as unfussed with as possible. is there a reason not too?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 4 Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

The placenta is steamed first because it follows USDA guidelines to safely prepare and dehydrate meat.  Steaming it first heats the "meat" (placenta) to 160 °F and assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat. 

The reason for the additives is because Traditional Chinese Medicine follows the philosophy of Yin and Yang whereby the goal is to find a balance between cooling and warming properties in food so they can aid the healing the body. Pepper, lemon, and ginger are to help that balance.  (Some foods are considered Yin and have a cooling effect on the body, while others are considered Yang and have a warming effect on the body.  After birth, one is supposed to consume more Yang/warming foods.)

There's no reason you HAVE to add the extras to the placenta preparation.  If you don't feel it's necessary, then just skip that part. smile.gif 

As for the steaming, that's another personal decision.  I do this preparation for other people, so I have to follow those guidelines.  I think it's just personal choice to steam it or not if you do it for yourself.  That being said, I do find that steaming it makes it easier to slice and is less messy.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM

I had mine done for me and so far so good even though I have nothing to compare it to.

My question is - how can I get around the smell & taste of the capsules??  I'm vegan, so whenever I burp up the pills or even when I first take them I almost gag.  LOL  I'm taking them with plenty of food & juice too.  Am I just being squeamish?  I paid good money so I'll definitely take them all; I just want to see if I can make it any easier on myself. 

thanks!!

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page