Hemorrhoids- Its really bad! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am mostly a lurker here this pregnancy but really need some help!  I am pregnant with my third child almost 36 weeks pregnant.  I have had hemrrhoids with my other two pregnancies but not this.  I have had a few episodes of of stomach upsets over the past few days and have been using that bathroom about 4 times a day.  It has gotten so painful that at this point I am having trouble walking.  i have been using baths, creams (even prescription), ice and astringent pads.  I think I maybe have taken about 10 baths in the last two days.  I am screaming in pain and trying not to eat so that I dont have to go to the bathroom.  If I could avoid the bathroom for a day or so I think it might get better.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I cant even leave my house for fear if I have an episode in public I wont be able to function.  Not to mention its not the kind of thing you want to share with your supervisior as to why you need some time off of work.  It feels like I am being ripped in half!

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
#2 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Sadly I feel I am an expert because I have gotten roids from both pregnancies due to constipation from medication - I started taking b-6 pills after reading a few places that it might be lack of b-6, I started with 100 mg once a day and now I take 50 mg, that resolves them in about 3 days. I haven't had any at all since about 32 weeks. Also b-6 is supposed to help with anal fissures too.

And you may want to research, but vit c I think helps with healing and zinc, but I stopped the zinc because it gave me stomach upset.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Zinc cream is always calming and safe to use.

#4 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Hamamelis Virginiana 9C is recommend for hemorrhoids...

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#5 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM
myk

SORRY THIS RESPONSE MAY BE WAYYY TMI!

i have the hemorrhoid from hell after a couple bouts with Clostridium difficile infection! if you are still having diarrhea that's going to stop you from effectively treating the hemmy.. not eating can make it worse. you could try the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast - which helps a whole lot of people. they're all easy to digest and tend to make stool more comfortable to pass.

personally, what i find most helpful is oatmeal. it's high fibre, so it has the opposite effect on some people, but it's primarily soluble fibre. it basically soaks up extra water so instead of explosive liquid, you get a soft, semi-formed stool. and with it comes less cramping, fewer trips to the loo, and basically you get a little bit of a break so that your hemorrhoid isn't being irritated by the acidic liquid stool all the time.

i find Penaten cream (zinc with some other stuff) helpful. it'll coat the skin so that the acidic liquid doesn't irritate as much. regular zinc creams don't work quite as well, either because there's less zinc or maybe it's the other ingredients that make a difference. who knows? i alternate between using penaten and my prescription hemmy ointment, OR i use a combination of penaten externally and a suppository internally.

i hope you feel better soon.

January 2011
#6 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM

this may be too simplistic but what worked for me:

use newborn sensitive baby wipes instead of toilet paper (carry a pack around in your purse)

the 'roid cream with the attachment that actually goes up inside your heiny to get the cream in the right place

bland food (BRAT diet & oatmeal) NOTHING spicy or greasy 

would soaking in an epsom salt bath help? 

Sit on a pillow or one of those epi pillows.

and most importantly... call your midwife/care provider and tell them what's going on!! Don't minimize. If you're at the point of screaming in pain and avoiding food it's a big problem. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#7 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM

I am due in jan too, and those hemi's are horrible!  I am terrified about pushing a baby out if the 'roids are already causing me such pain!! I am envisioning my midwife holding an ice cube on my bum while I push out the baby... yikes!!!

I have found that if I eat Fiber One Oatmeal bread as toast each morning, it makes a huge difference for me.  On the worst days, I have Cryostat, which is like an ice cube you place between your cheeks while you lay down for 20 minutes.  Also - Tronolane cream works better than the prep-H creams for me.  I use the witch-hazel wipes too as necessary (tucks).

I also jump in the shower for a good strong rinse after each poop.  I used to think bidet's were for after sex. Now I think they are made for 'roid sufferers!!  My mw recommends using the peri bottle for a rinse after every potty ... but it doesn't clean like a hand held shower.

I also don't "push" anymore.  I wait until the poo wants to come out on its own really badly, and only then do I head to the potty.  I laugh when I think of a comment by Ina May .... "don't strain when you s#it!".

Good luck mama. 

Wow - this is really TMI .... grossing myself out now!!!!

#8 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much ladies! I think I am going to take a good look at what I am eating as well as trying the remedies you mentioned.  I am hoping if I can get my pooping under control it can heal and then i will try to eat stomach friendly foods in attempts of avoiding this problem again.  I hope we all get some relief soon :)

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
#9 of 13 Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM

More TMI, but desperate times call for desperate measures... :)  You can, ahem, put them back. Its uncomfortable at first, but pushing them back in (sometimes a little lube helps - esp if you lube with roid cream) will get them where they're supposed to be and eliminate the pressure and pain. The main part of the pain is being squeezed by your anus so by putting them back behind it, it will alleviate that squeeze and give them time to go back down before you have to visit the bathroom again. You may need to put them back each time you go, but eventually they'll lessen and it will be less painful.

Momma to ds bikenew.gif6/02 (med free hospital), dd pinktongue.gif10/04 hb, ds diaper.gif6/08 hb, and ds babyboy.gif hb 1/12/11
#10 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM

The things that work for me are acidophilis pills - to get the gut bacteria back in line and using only wipes - never toilet paper.

#11 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 AM

I've heard shredded raw potato compresses are tremendously helpful as well. I think you basically have to shred the potato before you go into the bathroom, it's not the type of thing where you can just shred a bunch and keep it in the fridge. Altho, I'd suggest maybe keeping the potato in teh fridge so it's nice and cool on your sore bum. It's not exactly convenient but I've heard really good things about it. You can also make a raw 'french fry' and insert it if you need to to help push them back in and apply the potato internally if you have those type of hemmies.

I hope that helps!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#12 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Also don't sit on anything hard! As I am sitting here on a barely cushioned computer chair thinking it might aggravate me a little bit. I use a birthing ball as much as I can as a chair.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#13 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
myk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeof3 View Post

More TMI, but desperate times call for desperate measures... :)  You can, ahem, put them back. Its uncomfortable at first, but pushing them back in (sometimes a little lube helps - esp if you lube with roid cream) will get them where they're supposed to be and eliminate the pressure and pain. The main part of the pain is being squeezed by your anus so by putting them back behind it, it will alleviate that squeeze and give them time to go back down before you have to visit the bathroom again. You may need to put them back each time you go, but eventually they'll lessen and it will be less painful.

yes, that definitely helps. it works that way for internal hemorrhoids that have prolapsed (come out beyond the anal sphincter). if you have an external hemorrhoid (one that didn't start out on the inside to begin with), it can't be pushed in. with a combination hemorrhoid (one that is partly internal, partly external to begin with) you won't have as much luck - but those are less common. i recommend getting some Anusol ointment, using it to lubricate the hemorrhoid, and make it easier to slip in. if it's a grade 3 prolapsed hemorrhoid you should be fine. grade 4 hemorrhoids cannot be pushed back in manually - but they're less common.

January 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page