I can't take it any longer ...thinking about natural induction - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The title kinda says it all....I know babies will come when they are ready.And I have a c-section scheduled for Jan. 13th , but I can't wait any longer. Has anyone used any of the methods listed below and how did the turn out?

1. Walking. Stay active. This can help the baby engage and can encourage contractions to start.  

3. Sexual Intercourse. Semen on the cervix and having an orgasm can both stimulate labor. 

4. Nipple Stimulation. This is one of the safest forms of induction because it uses the mother's natural oxytocin. Apply warm compresses to your breasts and alternately stimulate each breast manually or using a breast pump for 15 minutes each until contractions begin. 

5. Relax. Anxiety alone can delay the onset of labor. 

6. Visualization. Get quiet and relaxed, and imagine your uterus contracting as well as the process of labor. 

7. Acupressure. The three main acupressure points for encouraging labor are: the roof of your mouth just behind the ridge behind the teeth, four fingerwidths above the inner ankle, between the thumb and forefinger. 

8. Pineapple. If it doesn't give you heartburn, eating lots of pineapple is reputed to begin labor. 

9. Spicy Food. Again, only use this if it won't give you heartburn. 

10. Cumin Tea. This is used by midwives in Latino cultures. Traditionally, a raw cube of potato is added to the tea, but the reason for this is not known. 

11. Natural Prostaglandins. Borage oil, evening primrose oil, flax seed oil, and black current oil all ripen and soften the cervix and increase the flexibility of the pelvic ligaments. You can take the capsules orally or put one or two in the vagina to melt. Use directly on the cervix only if the amniotic sac is still intact. These will not start labor. They only prepare the cervix. 

12. Herbs. Black and blue cohosh are common herbs for inducing labor, but these should not be used if a woman is anemic or has a history of postpartum bleeding. 

Combinations of false unicorn, black haw, and wild yam can be useful. Goldenseal is an herb that should be used with extreme caution for starting labor. You should only use this if you are two weeks past your due date and want to avoid synthetic drugs. Goldenseal can be EXTREMELY effective and the full effects of it are not known. 

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#2 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I recommend Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (not regular raspberry tea) and evening primrose oil. Its suppose to be a good cure for the common pregnancy. Use the evening primrose oil (sometimes called EPO) vaginally at night. I think if you were to do something like 4 cups of the tea and 1000 mg of EPO inserted at night that might do the trick after a few days or a week. Why are you having your c-section though? If you are having a c-section for medical reasons you might not want to induce labor.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#3 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

its a repeat c-section since my other two have been c-section and I thought about doing VBAC with my second but the doctor didnt support it and I was not educated enough at the time so I went along with it and now since my daughter is so close in age to this one they said it would be the best thing.

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#4 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

My office does allow vba2c, I just switched to them at 38 weeks. Is there any other supportive places in your area? You can always postpone the c-section due to family reasons (dh is sick, children are sick, have to go to a funeral, etc)

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Didn't try much w/DS, but I've tried these this time around:

Walking & other physical activity around the house - I'm usually pretty active anyway, & I walk because I enjoy it & to stay active.

Pineapple - I love pineapple anyway :)

Spicy Food - I've had major indigestion/heartburn, so I've cut way back on spicy food.  But I ate a ton of it w/DS just because I like it, and it didn't have any effect.

EPO & "Gentle Birth" formula of herbs/extracts - orally & vaginally for a couple of weeks now

Nipple Stimulation & Acupressure - tried it some, but haven't had the time to commit to it (all directions I've seen are pretty time-intensive)

So how have they worked??  Well, my cervix started ripening/dilating on its own before I tried anything else.  (Happened very early w/DS too.)  But when I use the EPO vaginally, I get crampy & can definitely feel my cervix changing.

Baby is currently "engaged" or "dropped" - head down in prime position.  Been there for a week.  My cervix is about 3cm dilated & has been for weeks.  I've had some Braxton-Hicks - some kinda strong at times, especially when trying the acupressure & nipple stimulation.  But haven't had any success with getting labor started during the 15-30 minutes I could devote to those methods.

#6 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Whoa- you are due til the 21st and have the section scheduled til the 13th???  I would def put #5 on your list to work.  If the baby is OK, and the mommy is OK then your job is to sit and relax and enjoy this last section of pregnancy.  No baby needs to come before it's ready, whether it's mommy or dr getting antsy...  By all means walk, and have sex and stretch and have good food.  Being active is a great way to be in your body and out of your head!  It will never be the same again and you can wait if you allow yourself : )  Be good to yourself.

Norabella likes this.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#7 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM
myk

i completely understand how you feel. i'm due on the 19th, repeat c/s scheduled for 13th, and i've gone into false labour so many times i can't count. it's so frustrating! but, you and i are not "term" yet so i would be very cautious about starting natural induction methods before we hit 37w.. so maybe hold off til new years. that's when i am going to start the EPO (orally) and nipple stimulation. not sure if i'll do the rest on the list, we'll see. i figure if i start the natural induction methods, we might be ready to birth a little earlier than scheduled. if it doesn't work out that way, well, the 13th it is :)

in my case it's not so much that i'm sick of being pregnant or want to meet baby too soon, it's that the false labour is very painful and if i can be spared an extra week of it.. so much the better. i'm growing tired of heading off to the hospital to get everything checked out. last night i was contracting every 7-9 minutes for hours.. i was just dehydrated (i'm sick with a gastro bug) but even when i'm healthy it's every day, for hours on end, every 15-20 minutes.. and it's painful enough to need to do controlled breathing, lean forward on a chair or desk, rock back and forth, you name it. i basically look, to the outside observer, like i'm in labour. i've scared hospital staff and random bystanders every day for 10 weeks now!

so far, my cervix is basically unchanged despite all these contractions. which is why i'm starting with EPO. if i do go into labour, i'll go straight to the hospital early on. they might let me VBAC or they might do a repeat c/s after all, i'm good either way.

January 2011
#8 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM

I have tried most of them with no success. Found out today I am only 1cm and baby is still pretty high. If I knew where to get some EPO I think I would give that a try. I am hoping to be induced the 3rd but unless I show some progress when I go back Thursday thats not going to happen.

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
#9 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

well when i had a kidney infection about 2 weeks ago and went to the hospital to be seen because my doctor was on call. She checked me then and I was 1.5 cm and 50% thinned out which I know really doesnt mean anything because it can always change without warning. 

#10 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 01:08 PM

I am 38 +1 today and hoping to make it to Jan 1st so am avoiding all of the above!! News years eve I plan to start on the list. My baby is engaged and I have been having prodromal labor for weeks but it gets worse each night. Last pregnancy I did natural induction methods at 38+4 and had my baby the next day, I think these methods only work if bub is ready.

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#11 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm a vbac and tried a few of those last time around to get labor going.  Nothing did, except time (he was born at 41w3d - which is exact average for a first time mom according to Woods method - research done in the 1990's, not research from the 1800's like the 40w time line is based on).  Nipple stim just cause annoying ctrx that led to nothing and EPO did help soften my cervix (I was fully effaced when I went into labor, but barely dilated).  As a vbac this time, I'm not doing anything to mess with nature.  Nope.  Chemical induction increases the risk of rupture significantly and I'm not messing with anything that could increase my risks at all, be that natural or chemical.  I take that back, I have been drinking RRL tea, but really just to tone my uterus, a cup here and there, no huge doses with the intention of getting labor started.  I've mentally prepared myself that this baby will be born past 40weeks and I have wonderful midwives who aren't pressuring me and just had a mom deliver at 43w.  Sure, I'm ready for the baby to come any day now (please please) but if he doesn't, it just means it's not the right time.

Babies always get born, ideally in their own time.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#12 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

did you ladies see this?

http://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

so interesting!

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#13 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamille View Post

did you ladies see this?

http://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

so interesting!

Very interesting. Oddly enough...my mom had pre-term labor only with my brother, all the others (girls), were late or near due date (even the twins!) And out of 4 women in my family, the only one who went into pre-term labor was my sister who had 3 boys (all of hers were 4-6 weeks early) I wonder if sex has something to do with it too?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#14 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
myk

probably not sex - i read, on average, that boys take a wee bit longer to develop than girls. not that it's really statistically significant.

January 2011
#15 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 PM

intercourse worked for me or maybe she was just ready

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#16 of 16 Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM

With DD #1 I went to just shy of 43 weeks before I was induced (long story).

I tried all of the following:

-sex

-EPO

-RRL tea

-Acupressure

-Acupuncture

-Pineapple

-Very long walks

-Nipple stimulation

-Relaxation

-Hypnobabies scripts

-Visualization

-Spicy foods

-Pitocin

NONE of these things, including the pitocin, worked for me.  Finally at almost 43 weeks they tried a second time with the pit and it eventually worked.  When I went in for my second induction I was completely closed and thick.  Not even finger tip dilated. 

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page