So stressed about getting this baby out!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Usually I just lurk but really need to vent right now.

This is my 4th child and I have never gone early with any of them. I was really hoping this one would be different but its not looking that way.

I am due the 5th and I go back to school the 11th!!! I wish I could take the semester off but I only have 2 semesters till I am finished and if I dont take these classes now they are not offered again till next winter!!

So I have been talking to my OB about inducing early so that I have some time with the baby before I have to go back to school and so far its not looking good. At my appointment today they said the baby is still high and I was barely 1cm. She tried to stretch it some but it hurt so bad she stopped. She wants me back Thursday with hopes I will have progressed enough to schedule an induction. I want to just cry!!! If I havent progressed, then what???

I dont want to go back to school but feel like I have no choice in it!!!! How am I ever going to handle going back to school a week or maybe a few days after giving birth and then coming home to 4 kids!!! When will I ever have time to get home work done???? Keep up with house work???

And on top of that dh only has 3 days off with us, so I will pretty much come home from the hospital and have all 4 kids and school!!!! I was really hoping the baby would come last week and then dh would have been able to be home with us for 2 whole weeks but nope!!!!

I know stress can stop labor but how am I not to stress??? I just dont know what to do and want to cry!!!!!

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM

I don't know what kind of schooling you're doing, but I would, right now, like, today, call and/or email the department head, dean of students and your professors and let them know that you are committed to being a student in your program this year, but are due with a baby, and need to sort out some kind of system for you to keep up with your classes during your immediate post-partum period. 

I've both taught and attended a variety of schools - and there are all kinds of ways to make this work out ok for you, mama.  Perhaps another student can email you class notes after lectures? In a big lecture, I like to ask for volunteers at the beginning of terms to provide lecture notes to those students who have spoken to me about conflicts or issues and may need extra help - in a smaller class, you may know your classmates well enough to work something out.  Your profs should by this point be able to email you the syllabi and readings lists they will be using for their classes so that you can get the necessary texts organized before the baby comes and be keeping up on reading. I honestly don't see any reason why they should not be able to accomodate your needs -- provided you have this discussion in advance.  Often there is not much a professor can do to help you make up missed time/exams/readings after the fact.  

Of course, every program and school is different, so these things may not work in more practical skills-based courses, but my advice to you would be to make a good-faith attempt to figure out a plan in advance - something that you find workable that your professors/school can also agree to - you might be surprised at how willing people are to help accommodate you and your family's situation. Don't forget that your professors want you to succeed as much as you do - honestly!  

#3 of 3 Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat_canuck View Post

I don't know what kind of schooling you're doing, but I would, right now, like, today, call and/or email the department head, dean of students and your professors and let them know that you are committed to being a student in your program this year, but are due with a baby, and need to sort out some kind of system for you to keep up with your classes during your immediate post-partum period. 

I've both taught and attended a variety of schools - and there are all kinds of ways to make this work out ok for you, mama.  Perhaps another student can email you class notes after lectures? In a big lecture, I like to ask for volunteers at the beginning of terms to provide lecture notes to those students who have spoken to me about conflicts or issues and may need extra help - in a smaller class, you may know your classmates well enough to work something out.  Your profs should by this point be able to email you the syllabi and readings lists they will be using for their classes so that you can get the necessary texts organized before the baby comes and be keeping up on reading. I honestly don't see any reason why they should not be able to accomodate your needs -- provided you have this discussion in advance.  Often there is not much a professor can do to help you make up missed time/exams/readings after the fact.  

Of course, every program and school is different, so these things may not work in more practical skills-based courses, but my advice to you would be to make a good-faith attempt to figure out a plan in advance - something that you find workable that your professors/school can also agree to - you might be surprised at how willing people are to help accommodate you and your family's situation. Don't forget that your professors want you to succeed as much as you do - honestly!  

I would try what she is suggesting. I read your post (as a soon-to-be Mom with 2 and former student) and thought OMG she is taking on a lot!  I would try whatever you can to get yourself a break.  Good Luck and remember that your sanity is the most important thing.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page