Well, our little girl is a little BOY! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This makes boy #3 for us! The funny thing is we weren't going to have another ultrasound but since I was consistently measuring up to two weeks behind, we went ahead and scheduled one just to ease the worries. The Dr. asked what I was having, and I said they told me girl at the first u/s but I'd like to confirm that if we could. My mw was there this time and they were doing all the size scans. She said it all looks good so far, and then they started hmmm-ing and huh-ing. Scared the piss out of me! Then my mw said, "so they told you it was a girl last time?" and just then the screen showed a very very obvious scrotum and penis. I was shocked. I still am... and now I have a lot of returns to make, lol. Just when I was getting really excited about of all this pink stuff...

I'm disappointed in a way because "she" was so real to us. She was our Eve, our little girl after 2 boys. She was going to have my grandma's middle name (she passed away this year & I wanted to honor her with our little girl's name). I know it's the same baby that's been kicking up my insides, that I've been bonding with already, but it's just... different! I'm thrilled either way, overall. Just excited to meet this little person face to face, but that totally threw me for a loop.

#2 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Wow, what a shock!...I have often wondered myself if I am having a boy, I was first told a boy, then a girl at 20 weeks and a girl at 32 weeks. I have another u/s on Monday at 39 weeks and I am wondering if they will say it's a boy again.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Oh my gosh, that would just be such a shocker this late in the game. Big hugs because I'm sure as happy as you are, I'm sure you still feel somewhat of a "loss" of what was "to be" all these months. Three boys will be so much fun! We could trade, this will be #4 girl... hee hee (just kidding of course!)

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#4 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Wow, that is a shocker!  I totally understand that it's going to be a bit of an adjustment -- maybe it's lucky you found out now, instead of in the delivery room.  That would definitely take some getting used to!

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#5 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 PM

DDCC

Have you thought about using a masculine form of your grandma's name? Is that at all possible? Two of my daughters are named after male family members, using a feminine variant.

I have a friend who was had an ultrasound the week before her baby was born (in 1998). She was told it was a 12 lb boy. The baby ended up being a 7lb 15oz girl. I have no idea how they got the gender mixed up like that, but I suspect they lied about the size to convince her to have a c-section. A 4 lb difference is A LOT.

#6 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 PM

DDCC- Congrats on another wonderful little boy!  That must have been quite a shock!  Don't beat yourself up over feeling sad or disappointed about not having a girl.  That little girl was very real to you for a while and it's normal to grieve for her.  Yes, your little boy is the same baby you've had in you all along but in a way you have to get to know him all over again now with this new info.  My DD was VERY convinced that baby was a boy while I was pregnant.  She was so adamant that I started to really feel that way too.  When we found out it was a girl, it was hard to shift my thinking for a while and I was a little sad.  It was strange to simultaneously feel sad for the "loss" of the baby boy I'd convinced myself of and also so excited for my second little girl.  DD1 took almost a month before she accepted that she was getting a sister and not the brother she said she needed. 

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#7 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Grandma's name was Betty Jean. We were going to have Eve ClaraJean. I don't like Gene or Eugene, ideas?

#8 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
myk

john and jean are related names. sorry for the shock, i'm glad you found out now instead of at birth, just because you have a wee bit of time left to make those exchanges!

January 2011
#9 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

My 3yo told me, and the midwife, at every appointment, that it was a boy. He finally started to accept "Baby Eve" and talked to her and told people about her... but he was not surprised when I told him he was having a brother instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseykn View Post

DDCC- Congrats on another wonderful little boy!  That must have been quite a shock!  Don't beat yourself up over feeling sad or disappointed about not having a girl.  That little girl was very real to you for a while and it's normal to grieve for her.  Yes, your little boy is the same baby you've had in you all along but in a way you have to get to know him all over again now with this new info.  My DD was VERY convinced that baby was a boy while I was pregnant.  She was so adamant that I started to really feel that way too.  When we found out it was a girl, it was hard to shift my thinking for a while and I was a little sad.  It was strange to simultaneously feel sad for the "loss" of the baby boy I'd convinced myself of and also so excited for my second little girl.  DD1 took almost a month before she accepted that she was getting a sister and not the brother she said she needed. 

#10 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Wow momma, what a shock for you. We are having a girl after two boys, although im yet to be convinced, I would be in shock too and I know i have a lot of pink stuff that are not returnable as tags are off and everything has been washed! I guess if mine turns out to be a boy he will have to put up with a pink butterfly bedroom for a while!!

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#11 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Maybe this isn't close enough to your grandmother's name, but perhaps Evan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

#12 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 PM

EVAN

EVANDER

EVER

EVERARD

EVERET

EVERLEY

EVERLY

EVERS

EVERT

EVGENIY

Here are some "Ev" names from babynames.com As far as Betty, maybe Bennett? It has the "BE" and "TT" in it like Betty. I like the John suggestion too. Bennett John? Everett John? James is also close to Jean.

Mourn the loss of your daughter, she was a real person to you.  I was kind of shocked when my husband told me Liam was a boy, because even though we chose to be surprised, everyone just assumed he would be a girl and I started to believe it.  Like you, I am not upset about another boy, as much as it is just a LOT to take in because I had a lot of daydreams about my daughter having a sister, not a 4th brother.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#13 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM

ddcc

wow I guess that would be quite a shock. That is one of my reasons for not ever finding out... I'm scared something like that would happen to me. I find it amusing that your other little guy seemed to "know". Kids can be so inutive

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#14 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 AM

How about Gentry?  I also like Bennett!

#15 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM

DDCC...

I think you could still use Jean for a middle name, pronounce it the French way, maybe?

At my ultrasound the tech said girl, but the photo is real iffy.  I'm mentally trying to prepare myself for the idea of either, but I feel for you for it actually happening.  You are doing great!

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page