Anyone else's Braxton Hicks feel like this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I suppose they are Braxton Hicks.  I kinda don't like differentiating between "practice" and "real" contractions.  They are all real, whether they are intense or not, whether they quickly result in a baby or not.  But I digress ...

The past week or so my contractions (which have been intermittent and somewhat intense for about a month now) have changed a bit in how they feel.  Now they seem to start in my chest, around my heart, and then spread to my uterus.  This especially happens at night.  Before I feel anything else happening, I know a contraction is coming because I feel this tightening in my chest, and I get just a little bit out of breath.  It's like the feeling you get when you work out your heart a little harder than usual?  Even if you generally stay in really good shape, but they you tax your system in a little more intense way, and you get that chest tightening?  It's weird.  And I have stayed active the whole pregnancy, so I dunno why they are feeling this way.  Has anyone else felt this?

#2 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM

I am having the very same thing.  Heart palpitations are fairly common in pregnancy - and for me they start just before I can feel my uterus contract.  I am fairly confident it has nothing to do with whether you are in good shape or not, so I wouldn't worry about it!

#3 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, probably just another normal thing that happens.  I am probably just working through a fear based on another MDC mama's experience with heart failure after her recent birth.  Very rare, very unlikely, but just something I had never thought of or worked through before.

Thanks for the response.

#4 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Glad you feel reassured.  I read the story of the other mama as well - pretty sure it was a different thing altogether.  But it's true that the palpitations themselves can feel pretty unnerving.  Take care!

#5 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM

a lot of my BH have been like this for a while.  they aren't all like this, but some of the more intense ones I feel tightness in my chest, almost like a little adrenaline rush, and sometimes complete with hot flash.  fun!  I'd say it's within the range of normal, but it is easy to get freaked out reading other people's bad experiences.  gestate in peace mama!

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#6 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM

some of mine are like that and end in all feeling all flushed and like the blood has rushed to my head.  I'm assuming it's because I'm slightly anemic? 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#7 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM

I've had that also.  Not with every one, but a lot of them.  It feels pretty awful IMO.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#8 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM

I've had those too, usually when I'm laying down. It's before the actual contraction starts, like you said. I was just assuming that it's my uterus and muscles pushing on my organs and probably creating less space or at least a different space. If you think of how much things are squished up there, it doesn't surprise me that change in the uterus also causes changes with all the other poor organs effected lol 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#9 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Yep. I'm experiencing these right now. Lots of tightening and discomfort at the top of my uterus, and it feels like it's squeezing my stomach and lungs and most of my lower chest. Not comfortable!

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

#10 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
myk

yes - and i also had a very erratic heart beat this morning. for HOURS. we ran some tests and baby is fine, but my hemoglobin is 100 (normal range 120-160). according to the doctor that's causing the chest weirdness and shortness of breath with each contraction. if you're concerned, definitely get checked out.. in my case it isn't a big problem, but there is a problem. my "normal" braxtons are very uncomfortable, they begin at the top of my uterus JUST below my rib cage, intensify, and eventually i'm tight right from my rib cage on down to feeling pressure in my cervix/vagina and across my back (sacroiliac) as well as symphasis pubis. apparently, i have quite the intense braxtons.. but they identify them as braxtons because my cervix is not changing significantly with them, so they're not "the real thing" (i hate when people say that.. it's not like they're imaginary!) :)

January 2011
#11 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM

This totally describes how all of mine feel.  I get that tightening in my chest, heart starts to pound, shortness of breath, sometimes accompanied by a head rush, hot flash, and increased swelling in my hands, followed by the belly tightening.  I agree that it does feel pretty miserable.

Anyone who had BH's like this also have labor contractions like this?  Just curious if the pattern continues through labor, or if labor contractions were not accompanied by all of the above.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#12 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I can't imagine that my iron is low.  I have slurped down almost an entire bottle of floradix in the last six weeks or so.  

#13 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM

My iron was actually low, 10.2 at the lowest I tested. However I've gotten it back up and still have the same sorta BH! For me personally the two don't seem to be related. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

I can't imagine that my iron is low.  I have slurped down almost an entire bottle of floradix in the last six weeks or so.  

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#14 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM

DDCC

I had this with my dd and again with this one.  I've had both the chest tightness and the blood rushing to the head feeling on both as well.  My iron was HIGH with my dd; I don't know about this one, as they haven't checked yet.

I chalked it up to just weirdness.  I'm glad I'm not alone.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page