Am I the only one without a concrete name picked out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I say that, but we have a girl's name set in stone - trouble is, the u/s at 20 wks said boy so that's not really helpful unless they were wrong (which is not out of the question).

BF is being a bit Debbie Downer that we don't have a name - he thinks it means we aren't connected to the baby or something.  I tried to tell him that I'm firmly connected to the baby and the name is not really relevant, but I suppose dads are different.  With my other two, my ex and I had the names before the babes were born, but I truly don't think it makes a difference. He's just insecure enough to think it does.

We have a few names we've kicked around that we both like, but nothing has 'clicked' for this little one.  There was one name that we both really like as a name, but it has personal negative connotations for me and I refuse to use it for even a middle name.  I've suggested names that I'm comfortable with, but he's wishy washy and doesn't really like them... then the opposite happens.  He likes more classic names (like those of the founding fathers) and I like less popular, but strong names (I'm not opposed to classics, but prefer something that isn't currently very popular). 

I have friends who didn't name their baby until he were 6 wks old and other friends who announced the name of their baby only to change it a couple weeks later because it didn't fit.  It doesn't mean they love their babies any less. 

Anyone else struggling with names?

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

we aren't struggling with names this time around but with DS we had a "short list" of both boy and girl names (he was a surprise). The plan was to discuss names once we saw the baby to make sure it fit. When he came out instead of saying "its a boy" DH was so excited he said "We have a (insert name here)!" and viola, DS was named.  The name suits him perfectly and (secretly) was my first choice =)

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 PM

we are completely stumpped on a name too!  we don't like any of them!  I want his name to start with the same letter as mine because his middle name  starts with the same thing as my middle name so we would have the same initials and I really like the idea of that.  his middle name and last name are set in stone but the all important first name is very hard for us.

Big Momma

#4 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Although DS has already been born(he'll be a week old tomorrow) we went into labor not having a boy or girl name picked out. We had a short list, and SO was busy looking it over while I was in labor, but we honestly didn't settle on a name until two hours before we left the hospital. We probably wouldn't have even picked one then, but we couldn't leave till he was named. That being said, I'm not nearly as in love with his name as I was with my other two DS, and if we do decide to have another, I'm pretty sure we won't have another surprise.

Jess,mama to Brycenangel2.gif , Elijah, Jonaah and Josiah
#5 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM

We don't have a name picked out either. I don't think it has anything to do with being connected or not. I'm thinking that we'll end up coming up with four names that we can agree on, and then once we meet our little man we'll go from there. The name I love combines part of each of our names, just not sure it will be the right fit. We knew going in with the last one, so it's kind of fun not having it picked out in a way. Our family is going crazy though because they think we are just keeping it a secret, when in reality we just can't come up with anything solid.

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#6 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM

We had a concrete name for a girl but this last ultrasound was quite boy. We're bringing a short list to the hospital and I hope something "fits" once we see him. The first was named from the get-go (before we were sure of gender) and the second had a concrete name that my friend used two weeks before he was born (we were both keeping our names a secret & just happened to pick the same name!) so he was quickly re-named and I can't imagine him as anything else. Now, though, we really don't know! We're using up all our boy names!

#7 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Not sure, here.  We have a name we like, but we've liked it without trying others on her, and now we're questioning if she'll match it or not.

#8 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

We don't really have a clue. We have names we both like, but there's something that's just so abstract about choosing the name for someone you haven't even met yet..so, I guess we have a short list, and are crossing our fingers that one of the names will just *fit* when we meet the baby. 

#9 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm 3 days past EDD and we have no name. We're pretty much narrowed down to 2, but I think we'll wait til he comes to decide. We did the same thing with ds1. With ds2, we had no names for months, so when we came up with one 4 months before he was born that we both liked, we went with it.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#10 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM

We don't have a name yet either although I think we've narrowed it down to two with multiple middle name choices. I'm fine with not naming him until he comes since the two we're thinking of are pretty different, I think he'll "look" or feel like one or the other to me. I kinda just have to see him first lol. 

I feel no less connected but I can see how your BF might feel a bit like that, guys don't really have very much to bond with before they are born and so a name might be one of those things that helps him. However, you don't want to just pick one out of a hat! It's a big decision! 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#11 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM

We had a name, we both loved it, until he was born and DH said "he doesn't look like a Jackson".  I had already told my mom and both my sisters his name, but DH was right, he didn't look like a Jackson.  So we named him the middle name we had picked out, Liam, and then picked Michael for a middle name.  So I say don't stress it, a name will come to you. 

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#12 of 15 Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM

We have a boys name but no girlsl name. We don't even have a short list for if it is a girl. Nothing is really clicking with either of us!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#13 of 15 Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM

my baby was born on the 4th and we just officially named her - as in announcing to family - today 5 days later! I didn't like the name I picked out earlier.  We still have to call and report it to the city where she was born.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#14 of 15 Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM

i feel the need to meet the baby before naming them. with my first, she didn't have a name for a 3 or 4 days. my husband struggle with finding names that sound nice in both languages we speak. plus, we need to find names that are culturally tolerable to the other person. i'll say a normal name like avery and he'll look at me like i have 4 eyes and just made it up right then and there because he's never heard the name. we just keep a list of a couple dozen or so that we like/tolerate and will figure it out once the baby is born.

hoping for a !
#15 of 15 Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat. We have a girl's name that we are quite sure about but the ultrasound said boy. We've made a list, narrowed it down to two names and now are doubting both those names! Yikes.

With our first son, we were decided on a name before getting pregnant. I wasn't sure about it for the first couple of days of his life (it might have been adjusting to a baby in general) but now I'm very happy with the name and couldn't imagine him having another name. I want to feel as sure about this little guy's name....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page