Jan '11 DDC Newborn Chit Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would start a chat for our life with newborns. How are things going, what little joys are you having, what little struggles?

Both of mine finally have taken the breast! He started yesterday at 10 days old, and yippe she started this morning like a champ!!! We are using nipple shields to help me get my nipples far enough in to trigger sucking but otherwise I think we are on a roll.

I'm still shocked at how much they sleep, I guess I have not been around newborned day in and day out to see this, they are nearly always out cold. I'm sure soon with come I day I will really miss this!

I think i saw him notice his sister for the first time! She was being bottle fed right next to him and he looked over with this puzzled look on his face, it was so cute, like " hmm who is this and why does she have my boobie juice?!". Then this morning my dh come in and told me the exact same story about it happening again, he hadvnot heard my experience, so we both got a big laugh.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Subbing! Will come back and reply later biggrinbounce.gif

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#3 of 63 Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Congratulations on getting them both on the breast!  That is awesome!

I am so tired.  Liam sleeps SO good during the day, but at night he will only sleep if he is in my arms, at the breast.  The second I put him in his co-sleeper, he starts crying.  This last week hubby has been home, and has gotten him up when he does so I can finally sleep and lets me sleep until noon, but next week he goes back and I am trying to figure out how I am going to do all this on my own.  I REALLY hope I can get sleep so I can function well enough to get 3 kids off to school in the mornings.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#4 of 63 Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Well, we're still on Cloud 9 here! Caroline  is nursing like a champ as long as I am diligent in making sure she latches on properly. She generally has 3-4 hour stretches of sleep at night, which gives me a chance to charge my battery a bit between feeds. She just wakes up to nurse, and what more can I ask for? She really likes to cuddle, which I love! She tries to snuggle right into my chest and makes happy little groaning noises!

I think she's really strong too. I don't have much experience with newborns, but she is already constantly rolling onto her side, and has rolled onto her belly a  few times. She's also really trying to hold up her head.

Adorkable: I'm so glad yours are both nursing. I love breastfeeding so far, but I can't imagine having 2!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#5 of 63 Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 PM

That's great that things are going better with the breastfeeding Adorkable!  

SummerRain--Micah is the same way.  He sleeps wonderfully during the day, but not as well at night.  He also appearers to be getting reflux so I have him sleeping in his bouncy seat so he is at a steep incline.

Micah was really starting to get the breastfeeding down, but he developed a cold a couple of days ago.  ARGH!  This is one of the last things I wanted--a 6week old preemie with a cold.  At least he has had the Synagis shot to help prevent RSV (only given to high risk babies).  Poor babe is congested and has a difficult time eating now.  I'm keeping a close eye on him and hopefully he will get over it quickly.  

We had a weight check last Friday and he was gaining 3/4 oz/day.  Not quite as high as we would like, but still in the OK range.  Hopefully once he is over this cold he will gain a bit better since it will be easier for him to eat.

So, has anyone found any products they absolutely love?  I am loving the muslin swaddling blankets.  I had 2 and just bought 4 more because we are using them constantly and I want to be sure I have a clean one whenever I need it.  I also found some Badger Baby Salve with calendula and chamomile.  I use it in Micah's face because he is scratching himself with his fingernails.  It calms him right down as soon as I start smoothing it on him.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#6 of 63 Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow the twins went to their 2 weeks check up today and drumroll please....... She was 5lb10oz up from a birth weight of 5, 3 and a low of about 4, 6 and he was a whopping 6 lb2.5oz up from his birth weight of 5, 10 and a low of 4,11 I think.

So they both gained 6 or 7 ounces over their birth weights at 16 days old, how awesome if that!??

Everything was great, cept having to do that horrible PKU test the second time, boy that is simply the worse thing in the world.
They both seem extra sad and fussy tonight, i wonder if it is from the stressful time with that test?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 63 Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Things are going pretty well. Most of the time Elise cluster feeds. She sleeps one good long stretch in the afternoon, and is up at night every 2-3 hours, but cluster nurses before the long nap and around 9-12 at night. Breastfeeding is going well though, but I have already found she has a milk intolerance. One huge milkshake and a couple of pieces of pizza and she cried for 3-4 hours straight, since I cut that out of my diet she has been fine. She is kind of a sleepy nurser - my first was all business, but this one nurses for a bit and then falls asleep, so we have change diapers and take off swaddles to get her to stay interested.

Now me on the other hand. I just want to poop! It's been over a week since my c-section and I haven't gone yet and I am scared! And for some reason I get a slight fever everyday. I went to L&D to get checked out and blood tests were fine, no UTI, no visible incision issues and they have no clue what it is. Best guess is one of the on call OB said it was hormonal from my milk coming in and getting adjusted. I don't know, I get achy, a fever, bad gas (that is weird) and a fever between 99 and 100.1 every day. Then it goes away. Last 2 times it happened during Elise's long stretch of sleep, so that is why they think it's an engorgement thing.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#8 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

lilly, are you taking a stool softener? they put me on one right away after the birth and explained that hte hormone changes postpartum could casue pretty bad slowing of the system again.

i never had this issue when preggo but now its horrible for me to, the stool softener is just barely holding it in check, barely.

a slightly connected funny, my daughter and i passed some silly right of mommy passage in the wee hours of this morning, i learned to go to the bathroom while holding her, so her and i sat there and pooped together, it was kinda cute. I'm just glad that the changing room is the spare bathroom in my house right now, so i had somewhere to set her down when i needed to wipe!

i know totally TMI but afte rthe 9 months we all have had together i felt i could laugh with you gals

#9 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM

I was told the drugs did it ; ) Plus I was on percocet, so I know that makes it worse. But anyway I POOPED today! Seriously took longer to get everything out than my labor - and I think it might have weighed more than my baby. I still have some trapped gas I think, but at least I can walk around. And I think the fever might have been from not pooping, I haven't had it today.

Now peeing is rough too - *sigh* they had to repair damage to my bladder from the first c-section and my nerves are a little weird. I just keep thinking - I will so much better after another week. At least I have a very content baby this time : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

lilly, are you taking a stool softener? they put me on one right away after the birth and explained that hte hormone changes postpartum could casue pretty bad slowing of the system again.

#10 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Liam had his 2 week checkup yesterday, he was also supposed to get circumcised like his 3 brother are, but DH finally relented on my request to keep him intact because he didn't think it was worth the money since we would have to meet our deductible this year for insurance to cover it.  WOOHOO.  He was also NINE pounds, which is almost 2 lbs up from his birth weight, and over 2lbs from his lowest weight.  He is getting his tongue snipped on Tuesday and I am REALLY hoping it helps with his shallow latch & gas issues he's having.  Liam is doing a little better about sleeping in his co-sleeper, he will start out and sleep about 2-4 hours a night in it.

My two year old on the other hand has been a handful, I think the green-eyed-monster has officially struck.  She is defiant, has not been listening, and throwing a ton of tantrums.  My five year old also seems to be having a harder time listening, but not as drastic as DD's issues.  DH went back to work this week and it has been rough.  We also found out this week he's probably going to be leaving for a year in Afghanistan sometime in March.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#11 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Are you using the Aden + Anais <sp> blankets?  I was thinking of trying them, but the price is holding me back, and I am not sure how long we would use them.  They are also at the local cloth diaper store, and I am not sure I could hold myself back there.  LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post
So, has anyone found any products they absolutely love?  I am loving the muslin swaddling blankets.  I had 2 and just bought 4 more because we are using them constantly and I want to be sure I have a clean one whenever I need it.

#12 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post

My two year old on the other hand has been a handful, I think the green-eyed-monster has officially struck.  She is defiant, has not been listening, and throwing a ton of tantrums.  My five year old also seems to be having a harder time listening, but not as drastic as DD's issues.  DH went back to work this week and it has been rough.  We also found out this week he's probably going to be leaving for a year in Afghanistan sometime in March.

This happened with my daughter, but I also found it was because visiting people were ignoring her. So we are having the IL take her places alone. Even my own mother kind of brushed my 3 year old aside and spent the day correcting her for pulling at her clothes, poking at her, etc, all because she wanted her attention.  She has been a lot different since the IL have played with her. Do you have a friend or relative can take your children for a while?

Sorry to hear about your husband, I hope it turns out he doesn't have to go.

#13 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM

I have 2 from a company called KoalaCuddles and 4 that are Pinzon Baby by Aden & Anais.  I bought the KoalaCuddles ones off of one of the mama bargains-type website.  They are a bit smaller and not as soft as the Pinzon Baby ones.  I bought the Pinzon Baby blankets from Amazon because I had a gift certificate and these things are huge!  They are almost too bit for my itty-bitty guy (not even 6lb yet), but he will grow into them.  My other 2 kids wanted to be swaddled for over 6 months so I'm just assuming this guy will want it also and the Pinzon Baby ones will easily swaddle a 6mo.  

Target also has some by Aden & Anais in their baby section.  I think it is a 4-pack for $30.  Even if you don't swaddle, they will be very useful in the summer to shade baby or to use on the floor for playtime and they pack up pretty small because they are so lightweight.  Sorry, I'm probably just enabling you.  2whistle.gif

#14 of 63 Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM

I have seen the Target A+A ones, the reviews say they are cheaper, a little smaller, and not as soft, but I might just pick them up because it is so much more convenient than a trip downtown to a boutique.  If I love them, we can get the boutique quality ones next.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :)

Quote:

I have 2 from a company called KoalaCuddles and 4 that are Pinzon Baby by Aden & Anais.  I bought the KoalaCuddles ones off of one of the mama bargains-type website.  They are a bit smaller and not as soft as the Pinzon Baby ones.  I bought the Pinzon Baby blankets from Amazon because I had a gift certificate and these things are huge!  They are almost too bit for my itty-bitty guy (not even 6lb yet), but he will grow into them.  My other 2 kids wanted to be swaddled for over 6 months so I'm just assuming this guy will want it also and the Pinzon Baby ones will easily swaddle a 6mo.  

Target also has some by Aden & Anais in their baby section.  I think it is a 4-pack for $30.  Even if you don't swaddle, they will be very useful in the summer to shade baby or to use on the floor for playtime and they pack up pretty small because they are so lightweight.  Sorry, I'm probably just enabling you.  2whistle.gif

#15 of 63 Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM

We had an appointment with our midwife today. Caroline is 19 days old and already one pound and two ounces over her birth weight! Yay! She has already outgrown all of the clothes I had ready for her, I had to wash a load of the next size up. Breastfeeding has been going well since the beginning, but this is good affirmation that my girl is really getting what she needs.

#16 of 63 Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

for those of you that swaddle, are you swaddling just at night or al the time or what? ive been wondering this, mine have been swaddled most of hte time, but now we are leaving their hands out more and letting them get used to them

#17 of 63 Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM

We're doing pretty well over here. I'm exhausted all the time, but dh is helping during the night, so that takes some of the load off. Eli wants to be held all.the.time. which I wouldn't mind so much, except that I have 2 other kiddos that have to be taken care of, and I work online from home, which has been pretty impossible lately. He's not crazy about the wrap either, which I was hoping would help *bummer*. We're swaddling at night with the muslin blankets (LOVE). He'll sleep about 3-4 hours the first stretch, then 1 1/2 - 2 the rest of the night. He's also been having green poop, so I've been trying block feeding in case we're dealing with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I haven't seen any change yet, and I'm not sure what else to try. 

We started CD'ing this week mostly full time. We still do paper at night because his little butt is just so tiny that none of our diapers really fit him well yet, and I'm worried about blowouts at night. 

I think my pp bleeding is just about done (3 weeks and a couple of days out). This is actually the longest it's ever lasted for me lol. I had a pretty substantial episiotomy (against my wishes, didn't realize what was happening till it was done) and I'm finally feeling like I'm really healing from that. I'm back to my pre-preggo weight, which is nice. I can't wait to start actually exercising so I can work on the belly a bit. :)

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#18 of 63 Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:

for those of you that swaddle, are you swaddling just at night or al the time or what? ive been wondering this, mine have been swaddled most of hte time, but now we are leaving their hands out more and letting them get used to them

I have barely swaddled her at all, she likes to move her arms and legs and wakes up frustrated when she is wrapped up. That being said, I have a family gathering coming up on Sunday, and I am planning to swaddle the baby when she is being passed around.

#19 of 63 Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I follow his cues.  We still swaddle quite a bit because he prefers it.  I leave him unswaddled quite a bit while he is awake, but when he starts getting stressed, I wrap him back up.  I expect his need to be swaddled all the time to decrease quite a bit when we get to his due date (in about 2 weeks).  I expect him to need to be swaddled for sleeping for quite a while yet based on past experience with my kids, but he is also the first one I am able to lay down to sleep (as opposed to needing to sleep in a bouncy seat due to reflux) so maybe he won't need to be swaddled as long.

If they are happy with their arms out then I would leave them out.  If they start fussing quite a bit, try swaddling again and see if that calms them down.

#20 of 63 Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 PM

So I just got over being sick. After a trip to L&D for a high fever and lots of stiffness and aches, they determined I had a virus. I got it like 3 days after I got home : (

I guess because of being sick, when I went to the pediatrician, baby lost 5 ounces. She pooped a lot yesterday, but has not pooped today, so I am a little worried and hoping things go back to normal in the next day or two. My mom keeps bugging to come and visit again (she has been once already), and I think she was the one who got me sick! And now she wants to bring friends. And she is not one to not touch the baby, I am shocked the baby isn't sick honestly, she was holding her after I asked her not to. So I had to tell her the pediatrician said no visitors for 4 weeks because it's flu/cold season.  And it has been bad around here.

Since the fever has broke though, I am beginning to feel somewhat normal, just worried about the baby's weight a bit.

#21 of 63 Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM

NAK

I got sick right after I got home from the hospital too... I figure since it was 3-4 days later, I probably picked mine up *in* the hospital.  My husband and I were both pretty sick, but none of the kids had it, so I don't think they were responsible for a change.  ;)  The baby didn't get sick at all, probably because I am nursing.  My fever never got above 100.2 though, so my midwife wasn't worried (I was worried about uterine infection @ first because of smelly lochia, & fever + 26 hours of ruptured membranes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

So I just got over being sick. After a trip to L&D for a high fever and lots of stiffness and aches, they determined I had a virus. I got it like 3 days after I got home : (

I guess because of being sick, when I went to the pediatrician, baby lost 5 ounces. She pooped a lot yesterday, but has not pooped today, so I am a little worried and hoping things go back to normal in the next day or two. My mom keeps bugging to come and visit again (she has been once already), and I think she was the one who got me sick! And now she wants to bring friends. And she is not one to not touch the baby, I am shocked the baby isn't sick honestly, she was holding her after I asked her not to. So I had to tell her the pediatrician said no visitors for 4 weeks because it's flu/cold season.  And it has been bad around here.

Since the fever has broke though, I am beginning to feel somewhat normal, just worried about the baby's weight a bit.

#22 of 63 Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM

NAK

Success!  Picked up the A+A from Target, swaddling arms out, and he's loving it.  The true test will be tonight when he goes to bed.  These will be awesome in the diaper bag too as a nursing cover.

Quote:

Quote:

I follow his cues.  We still swaddle quite a bit because he prefers it.  I leave him unswaddled quite a bit while he is awake, but when he starts getting stressed, I wrap him back up.  I expect his need to be swaddled all the time to decrease quite a bit when we get to his due date (in about 2 weeks).  I expect him to need to be swaddled for sleeping for quite a while yet based on past experience with my kids, but he is also the first one I am able to lay down to sleep (as opposed to needing to sleep in a bouncy seat due to reflux) so maybe he won't need to be swaddled as long.

If they are happy with their arms out then I would leave them out.  If they start fussing quite a bit, try swaddling again and see if that calms them down.

#23 of 63 Old 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM

So glad to be joining this thread!!  We are doign good here, finally getting over the battle with jaundice.  When we were discharged from the hospital Monday night, 24 hours after birth Kyle's bilirubin was only at 4, then the next day it had jumped up to 9.  The pediatrician wasn't overly concerned but wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't rise too quickly.  Two days later (Thursday) it was up to 17:( 

He advised me just to nurse, nurse, nurse and nurse some more, try to get him in some sunlight if possible but just to nurse as much as we could.  My milk didn't come in until 4 days Thursday (he was born Sunday night) so we think that's why the levels kept going up since the colostrum doesn't do the greatest job at flushing his system.  His weight had also dropped down to 5 lbs 7 oz - he was 6 lbs 2 oz at birth.  As of  yesterday he is back up to 5 lbs 14 oz!  All this nursing is paying off!

We took him back again on Friday to have him rechecked and it was down to 16.  The ped was happy with that but since it was still considered on the high end of the ranges he wanted to have it checked again Saturday.  On Saturday the results came back over 17 again which they said was VERY unusual since it rarely goes back up once it starts to decline.  They ped was pretty certain that the blood drawn had started to clot on the way to the lab and we got artificial results.  Just to be sure we had to have yet another test this morning and now the level is down to 13!!!  YAY!!!  I'm so glad we are done with all that testing, my poor little guy has been pricked in the heel almost every day since he was born:( 

Re: swaddling - I've really only been swaddling at night.  I've tried using different blankets but he prefers the swaddle sack that we got (I think Halo brand?)  Lol it's soooo much easier to get on him, especially after the middle of the night diaper changes and feedings.  During the day we don't swaddle, I really only do it at night to keep him warm because our bedroom gets pretty chilly and the swaddler seems to keep him nice and cozy.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#24 of 63 Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Are you using the Aden + Anais <sp> blankets?  I was thinking of trying them, but the price is holding me back, and I am not sure how long we would use them.  They are also at the local cloth diaper store, and I am not sure I could hold myself back there.  LOL

Quote:
So, has anyone found any products they absolutely love?  I am loving the muslin swaddling blankets.  I had 2 and just bought 4 more because we are using them constantly and I want to be sure I have a clean one whenever I need it.

I was given one of these,and I'm in luuuurve. I want one adult sized. And someone to swaddle me. :) 

#25 of 63 Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Things are going good here. Wendy is 10 days old. I can hardly believe it. She is nursing often and has a good latch, but she seems to be struggling with gas/spitting up.. poor thing. I keep taking her off the breast during feedings to burp her like our midwife recommended, but it isn't helping. I'm also not sure I've got good "body mechanics" for nursing yet. I'm struggling with arm/hand/neck/shoulder aches. Still, I know things could be even harder, and I'm sure with support we'll work these issues out! 

I'm not sleeping much at night because she is nursing so often, but I think this is a good thing. Despite having gone back to work my husband is very keen to help with Wendy however he can at night be it diaper changes, getting me water, etc. I'm blessed! I'm trying to remember to cat nap during the day with her, and that really helps my mood.

My MIL came up the day after birth with her sister and REALLY helped with cleaning/cooking/spoiling us, and stayed for just a day. She came up this weekend and acted a lot more "guesty" which did NOT IMPRESS me. She prepared the convenience food we had in the house and now if I want something good for dinner I have to shop or make something from scratch. *eye roll* And she kept cuing up for "baby holding" which was annoying, because Wendy seems to get pretty overstimulated with a lot of holding from non mom/dad. And she played wii while the laundry stacked up. So much for "come to help with the baby." 

Oh well. I talked to hubby. No more company until I'm a bit more recovered/Wendy is older. 

Do I should Fussy? heh. Maybe I need another nap. Really, I'm feeling blessed. And like somebody else needs to do my shopping. 

#26 of 63 Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Have you tried limiting milk products? My first had a ton of food issues, and I noticed Elise has them too now, when I drink/eat straight milk she is has a lot more spitting up. I always figure it doesn't hurt anything to remove milk for a few weeks to see and then add it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewik View Post

Things are going good here. Wendy is 10 days old. I can hardly believe it. She is nursing often and has a good latch, but she seems to be struggling with gas/spitting up.. poor thing. I keep taking her off the breast during feedings to burp her like our midwife recommended, but it isn't helping. I'm also not sure I've got good "body mechanics" for nursing yet. I'm struggling with arm/hand/neck/shoulder aches. Still, I know things could be even harder, and I'm sure with support we'll work these issues out!

#27 of 63 Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I'd love some advice on this too. Eli is having terrible reflux/spitting up issues. I thought we had it under control but the last 2 days have been awful again. I don't do any dairy except occasional small amounts of cheese. We're doing gripe water when it's really bad, and I'm giving him Natren Life Start. We were up all night last night nursing/spitting up/choking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

Have you tried limiting milk products? My first had a ton of food issues, and I noticed Elise has them too now, when I drink/eat straight milk she is has a lot more spitting up. I always figure it doesn't hurt anything to remove milk for a few weeks to see and then add it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewik View Post

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#28 of 63 Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Liam does not have any spitting up issues, but he is terribly gassy and uncomfortable, so I talked to his ped about it last week.

Tomorrow he's getting his tongue tie clipped, he has a shallow latch and tons of gas so I am hoping it helps.  His is VERY easy to see, but I read here there are less common ones that are harder to diagnose:  http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2011/01/posterior-tongue-tie.html

His ped also said that gripe water and simethicone are just as effective as placebo in helping with gas or spitting up, so not to bother.... however she said infant probiotics found in the fridge section of health food stores have been shown to help more than placebo.  This website seems to have a lot of good information, especially on the elimination diet, however it does seem to be product oriented and I have not tried any of them, so I can't endorse anything:  http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/breastmilkeasiertodigest.html

I'll let you know if the tongue clipping helps him, his is very noticeable though, his tongue is actually forked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin-mama View Post

I'd love some advice on this too. Eli is having terrible reflux/spitting up issues. I thought we had it under control but the last 2 days have been awful again. I don't do any dairy except occasional small amounts of cheese. We're doing gripe water when it's really bad, and I'm giving him Natren Life Start. We were up all night last night nursing/spitting up/choking.

#29 of 63 Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Sorry to hear you have a tongue tie! I had our midwife checking Wendy's tongue before I counted her toes because I was so tongue tied! 
I finally got to chat to my midwife, and it seems I have an over enthusiastic let down. So, I'll be doing my first letdown into a cup or burp cloth and then feeding her on the same side 2x before I offer the other breast. And lots of burping. Really hope this helps.. 

Quote:

Liam does not have any spitting up issues, but he is terribly gassy and uncomfortable, so I talked to his ped about it last week.

Tomorrow he's getting his tongue tie clipped, he has a shallow latch and tons of gas so I am hoping it helps.  His is VERY easy to see, but I read here there are less common ones that are harder to diagnose:  http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2011/01/posterior-tongue-tie.html

His ped also said that gripe water and simethicone are just as effective as placebo in helping with gas or spitting up, so not to bother.... however she said infant probiotics found in the fridge section of health food stores have been shown to help more than placebo.  This website seems to have a lot of good information, especially on the elimination diet, however it does seem to be product oriented and I have not tried any of them, so I can't endorse anything:  http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/breastmilkeasiertodigest.html

I'll let you know if the tongue clipping helps him, his is very noticeable though, his tongue is actually forked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin-mama View Post

#30 of 63 Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

yeah we are deeling eith gassy babies too, lower gas, not just burping, its so hard when you want to fix everything

also calling to get her checked out for tougnue issues tomorrow, i think a mild case of it is hassling her.

no im just stuggling to figure out pacifiers, they do seem to need to suck when they arent hungry and so i think it would help, but they are still so wishy washy about their latch and the bottles are stilli nthe picture a few times a day, so i worry what i should do when

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page