41 weeks and getting frustrated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
butterfly1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So... I'm 41 weeks today.  My first was at 39w6d, second 40w4d, both had SROM. 

 

My midwife is a CNM with OB backup, and has delivering privileges at a mom&baby-friendly hospital.  When I hit 42 weeks (she actually has my EDD as 1-3 instead of 1-1, so I get an extra two days), she can no longer legally deliver me at home.  She can deliver me in the hospital, but I'd have to go to the OB, get a stress-test done, and discuss induction.  I had pitocin in the hospital with my first and I DON'T want to have that again!

 

I know I still have some time... I'm getting a non-stress test at her office on Tuesday (my choice), just for peace of mind, but I know how active he is, so I'm not really worried, ya know? 

 

But something inside me is convinced that I won't go into labor naturally at this point.  I don't think my body's broken or anything, but I just have this....off feeling that maybe his head's not quite in the right spot... or something... I dunno what exactly.  I just wake up every day not even surprised I'm not in labor yet.  Once I go to see her Tuesday, I will have her do a membrane sweep again (I requested one this week, the first time I've had an internal my entire pregnancy), which, for me, is never painful, or even uncomfortable.  A few days after that, if I want to, she will instruct me on either trying some castor oil, or some herbs, to get things moving, before it gets to the point of where I can no longer deliver at home.  Hospital birth, with possible induction is the one thing I want to avoid, so I will try other things first.  Somehow though, I think it will at least get to that point, where I have to try herbs or something. 


I don't know if I really want advice on this, or I'm more just rambling... I just thought I'd be holding my little one by now, and I feel horrible mentally about the whole thing.  Sigh... thanks for reading mamas (if you made it this far!)


Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
butterfly1001 is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM
 
elisheva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All babies DO come out :) It's a total fallacy that some women are told that their bodies just "won't" go into labor (As if they have some genetic defect that causes this). You still have the power, even if your MW can't catch your babe at home after a certain point. You *can* refuse pitocin, discuss other options, ask for one more day, then another, then another. Listen to your body and your baby and let your intuition guide you wherever it does.


"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton
 
 
 
   

elisheva is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 PM
 
thebeljur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear you, Aubree.  You're tired of waiting, of not knowing, of the anxiety as the time creeps closer to 42 weeks.  You want to go into labor now.  You want a home birth.  You want to hold your baby.  I hear you.  Thank you for reaching out.  I'm guessing that it will be helpful for you that you wrote it out and are speaking your truth.  I'm sending you labor vibes, mama, and support and encouragement.  hug2.gif


Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
thebeljur is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 PM
 
mamas2atti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: way left of center
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hugs mama.  I totally understand.  I lost my birth center privileges with DS2 at 42 weeks and had to go to the hospital to be induced or I lost my beloved midwife's care.  My third came on his own at 41w5d.  My babes just take longer and it is frustrating when the medical establishment rushes that.

 

Have you thought about mapping baby's position on spinning babies and then seeing if there is anything you can do to get baby into a better position?  I had some horrible "contractions" the other morning at 4:30 and I started crawling around on my hands and knees because it hurt VERY bad and I could just tell baby was in an awful position.  After I did it for a while he moved and I felt much better and those pains went away.  I totally agree that position is everything...maybe you can find something to get baby in the right spot.  Not sure if baby is also posterior, but I've pushed two out that way so my midwife is having me take Pulsatilla every hour to see if that will help get him to anterior before labor. 

 

I really hope you find peace and baby comes right away.  <3


Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
mamas2atti is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Maine Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post

 

But something inside me is convinced that I won't go into labor naturally at this point.  I don't think my body's broken or anything, but I just have this....off feeling that maybe his head's not quite in the right spot... or something... I dunno what exactly.  I just wake up every day not even surprised I'm not in labor yet.  


I can SOOOOO identify with this feeling.  I felt it last time as well and let myself be convinced at 41 weeks that induction was the way to go.  I'm not planning that route this time, but I'm starting to get those feelings (I won't go into labor naturally....baby just wants to stay in there....maybe my uterus is just SUPER comfortable, unlike all other uteruses at 40ish weeks).

 

My midwife checked me yesterday, and nothing was going on yet.  No dilation.  Maybe a little bit of effacement.  But...you know...nothing really.  I'm just hoping I can relax and get my head in a good space this week.  


Hi, I'm Aileen!

Wife to Lance, Mama to Elijah superhero.gif,Gideon learning.gif, and Jasper slingboy.gif.

Maine Mama is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
 
elisheva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Remember that dilation and effacement mean absolutely nothing as to when you will go into labour. With both my last two pregnancies, babe was high, my cervix was closed and hardly effaced in the morning (10am) - babe was in my arms that evening (7:40pm and 5:53pm, respectively). When your body is ready, it will go - some spend weeks at 5 cm dilation. Some spend minutes.


"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton
 
 
 
   

elisheva is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Maine Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's comforting to hear.

Even though I know it, I still don't "know" it sometimes.  Somehow it seems like it would be closer if things were changing more.  You know? orngtongue.gif


Hi, I'm Aileen!

Wife to Lance, Mama to Elijah superhero.gif,Gideon learning.gif, and Jasper slingboy.gif.

Maine Mama is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
butterfly1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

All babies DO come out :) It's a total fallacy that some women are told that their bodies just "won't" go into labor (As if they have some genetic defect that causes this). You still have the power, even if your MW can't catch your babe at home after a certain point. You *can* refuse pitocin, discuss other options, ask for one more day, then another, then another. Listen to your body and your baby and let your intuition guide you wherever it does.


I do realize this... I think   :-)   .....I'm just so frustrated that I'm even having to think it right now!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

I hear you, Aubree.  You're tired of waiting, of not knowing, of the anxiety as the time creeps closer to 42 weeks.  You want to go into labor now.  You want a home birth.  You want to hold your baby.  I hear you.  Thank you for reaching out.  I'm guessing that it will be helpful for you that you wrote it out and are speaking your truth.  I'm sending you labor vibes, mama, and support and encouragement.  hug2.gif



I can't tell you HOW wonderful it was for you to say this.  I read it first thing this morning and cried my eyes out.  And then cried some more.  And then some more.  It felt good to release the thoughts last night, and the emotions this morning.  In fact, reading it again, I'm tearing up.  Thank you for your honesty, your words, and your support.  It means a lot.  :-)

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas2atti View Post

Hugs mama.  I totally understand.  I lost my birth center privileges with DS2 at 42 weeks and had to go to the hospital to be induced or I lost my beloved midwife's care.  My third came on his own at 41w5d.  My babes just take longer and it is frustrating when the medical establishment rushes that.

 

Have you thought about mapping baby's position on spinning babies and then seeing if there is anything you can do to get baby into a better position?  I had some horrible "contractions" the other morning at 4:30 and I started crawling around on my hands and knees because it hurt VERY bad and I could just tell baby was in an awful position.  After I did it for a while he moved and I felt much better and those pains went away.  I totally agree that position is everything...maybe you can find something to get baby in the right spot.  Not sure if baby is also posterior, but I've pushed two out that way so my midwife is having me take Pulsatilla every hour to see if that will help get him to anterior before labor. 

 

I really hope you find peace and baby comes right away.  <3


I have been spending the last two days on my birth ball rocking and rolling around, and on my hands and knees.  I really have no real reason to think that he's not in the right position (in fact, he's usually in the LOT position), but something keeps bugging me that maybe his head is crooked. I did link to the spinningbabies article on this as well, and am trying the pelvic release thing tonight, just in case.  Maybe it's intuition, or maybe I'm just paranoid, but it's what's sticking in my mind right now.  And I took Pulsatilla about a month or so ago for varicose veins and it did weird things to me mentally... although I'm more in the state of mind right now, so maybe it would help me out now!  Thank you for your advice!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post

 

But something inside me is convinced that I won't go into labor naturally at this point.  I don't think my body's broken or anything, but I just have this....off feeling that maybe his head's not quite in the right spot... or something... I dunno what exactly.  I just wake up every day not even surprised I'm not in labor yet.  


I can SOOOOO identify with this feeling.  I felt it last time as well and let myself be convinced at 41 weeks that induction was the way to go.  I'm not planning that route this time, but I'm starting to get those feelings (I won't go into labor naturally....baby just wants to stay in there....maybe my uterus is just SUPER comfortable, unlike all other uteruses at 40ish weeks).

 

My midwife checked me yesterday, and nothing was going on yet.  No dilation.  Maybe a little bit of effacement.  But...you know...nothing really.  I'm just hoping I can relax and get my head in a good space this week.  



I'm a fingertip dilated, about 50% effaced as of last week and that part doesn't bother me too too much, because I was 2cm and 90% effaced for over 3 weeks with DS1 before my water broke, so like the next poster said, don't worry much about that.  But it's good to know someone else is there with me.  Hugs to you!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

Remember that dilation and effacement mean absolutely nothing as to when you will go into labour. With both my last two pregnancies, babe was high, my cervix was closed and hardly effaced in the morning (10am) - babe was in my arms that evening (7:40pm and 5:53pm, respectively). When your body is ready, it will go - some spend weeks at 5 cm dilation. Some spend minutes.



I do get this, and left the part out about my lack of dilation in my original post, because that didn't affect me when I found out.  So true!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama View Post

That's comforting to hear.

Even though I know it, I still don't "know" it sometimes.  Somehow it seems like it would be closer if things were changing more.  You know? orngtongue.gif


As much as I say (and said above) that it doesn't bug me much, I'd probably be a tad happier if I were a bit further along in that department.  :-)


Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
butterfly1001 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off