Talking about induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwife is really concerned about me getting both doses of abx for GBS. I'm not so much, after what I've read but when I told her DH is off Mon/Tues (this was at the appt on Friday) she said we could induce tomorrow or Tuesday. I told her I'd talk to him about it and he thought it was as crazy as I did. She said third babies tend to come really fast and she wants to make sure I make it to the hospital in time.

I talked to my friend, who was induced for the very same reason (and still birthed w/o an epidural, go her!) and she said her current midwives can't believe she was induced for that.

Meanwhile, I don't think this baby is ever coming out anyway. I know I shouldn't be whining since I'm nowhere near "overdue" (hate that word) but I'm TIRED of all the false labor. My first two never did this to me. My first was born gestationally TODAY and my second was born gestationally a week and a half ago. I had BH with both of them, but once things got regular, that was IT. I've used contractionmaster.com so many times already and every time it just peters out. I haven't told MW that because she keeps telling me that if they start to get regular I better get my butt up there. If I'd done that, though, we WOULD have been induced already for failure to progress, I'm sure of it.

#2 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM

i know if I was GBS+ I had the option of doing iodine douches instead of abx in labor. Do you have other options besides the IV abx?  Is it really *that* big of a deal to get both doses? from my understanding GBS happens and while the complications are dire they tend to occur in patients who've had NO pre-natal care.  Babies are born all the time without having had both doses of the abx.  I can see a Dr wanting to induce for the scenario you've described but am surprised to hear it coming from a midwife.  Has she elaborated on where her concern is coming from? Is this her typical protocol with her GBS+ patients or is there something about your situation that is more alarming?

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Seems pretty typical, I don't know why it's such a big deal. I didn't ask about other options, I should have but she acted like it was the only possibility.

#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm not in your ddc but thought I'd chime in!

That seems like a strange policy to me. I was GBS+ (and induced but for different reasons) and I was told if I were to go into labor spontaneously and wasn't able to get my two doses in, the peds would just keep a close eye on the baby and worst case scenario, we'd have to stay an extra day in the hospital to make sure the baby was ok. I know that different midwives/hospitals/OBs have different policies but that really seems overly cautious to me because the risk of transferring GBS even without antibiotics is still fairly low. I'd ask the midwife to clarify why she thinks that's necessary. And as pp said, there are alternative measures to prevent GBS transfer that may be a possibility for you.

#5 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Do you have any other risk factors that make the GBS a big deal?  Other risk factors that can put you at risk for delivering a GBS baby are:

• Labor or rupture of membrane before 37 weeks
  • Rupture of membrane 18 hours or more before delivery
  • Fever during labor
  • A urinary tract infection as a result of GBS during your pregnancy
  • A previous baby with GBS disease

The midwife's concerned because 3rd babies "come really fast".  I'd like to see the data on that one.  It's probably more anecdotal than anything.  Have you had any precipitous labors before?  If not, and if I didn't have any of the above there's no way I would get induced just to be sure I get all the antibiotics.  It's kinda crazy how all over the map healthcare people are about GBS.  Some don't even test for it, others act like you need to be on antibiotics from the moment of conception till after delivery, and then your baby needs more.  (that last one may be a bit of an exaggeration, but that what it seems like sometimes.)

I personally think doctors like c-sections and inductions because it's easier to plan and they don't have to worry about being called in for a delivery on their day off or in the middle of the night or whatever.  But that's just my opinion I guess.

#6 of 6 Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

She's been great about everything else, I don't know what the hangup is with this one. I've got none of the other risk factors, and both my other labors were 24-ish hours, with 11 & 7 hours spent at the hospital before they were born.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page