Longer recovery with subsequent children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 5 days pp with my third child. This is my VBAC baby. My first was vaginal and my second was a cesarean. I am still so sore! It is mostly my lower abdominal area. I don't remember being this sore with my first vaginal birth. At 5 days out we were walking around the mall to get out of the house. I know with my cesarean I didn't feel right until after about 3 weeks.

I am wondering if it was just due the the fast labor (under 7 hours of active labor) and pushing her out so quickly (less than 10 minutes and 4 pushes). 

Did anyone notice that the more children they had the longer their recovery was? Or maybe it is just because of the VBAC?

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Hmmmm...I don't know.  I wonder if it's because it was a VBAC?  My recoveries have all gotten easier and faster with subsequent births.  And my births are all fast, so that hasn't made recovery more challenging for me personally.  Maybe a VBAC mama will be able to offer her experience.  Either way, listen to your body, mama, and take it easy.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#3 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM

I'm a VBAC also 5 days pp. I do have to say that this has been my easiest recovery so far (sorry, I feel bad saying that since you are having a harder time). I have had three vaginal deliveries followed by my csection and now this VBAC. I did have a very quick, very intense labour and delivery (intense meaning screaming my head off - something I've never done before but this was by far my most painful delivery) I was kind of thinking the easy pp was payback for having such a crazy intense delivery. 

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#4 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

Hmmmm...I don't know.  I wonder if it's because it was a VBAC?  My recoveries have all gotten easier and faster with subsequent births.  And my births are all fast, so that hasn't made recovery more challenging for me personally.  Maybe a VBAC mama will be able to offer her experience.  Either way, listen to your body, mama, and take it easy.

That is how I thought it should be. Oh well! I get to spend more time in bed with a gorgeous baby. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apcanadianmamma View Post

I'm a VBAC also 5 days pp. I do have to say that this has been my easiest recovery so far (sorry, I feel bad saying that since you are having a harder time). I have had three vaginal deliveries followed by my csection and now this VBAC. I did have a very quick, very intense labour and delivery (intense meaning screaming my head off - something I've never done before but this was by far my most painful delivery) I was kind of thinking the easy pp was payback for having such a crazy intense delivery. 

Don't feel bad! My labor was very intense and the most painful as well and my other labors included pitocin. Go figure!

#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm 6 days pp and still feel yuck, I felt incredible in hospital but since getting home on Saturday my pelvis has been sore and I have the dreaded mastitis, my little one wasn't attaching properly in hospital which damage my nipples so I spent yesterday at a early feeding centre and now before every feed I have to express to get her attached. I keep wishing for the next week to hurry by cos I remember I started to feel normal after two weeks with my first vbac. My labor was also quick, 4 hours and intense. My princess is a fantastic bub and is giving me 4.5 hours between each feed at night! Doubt that will last tho!!

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#7 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumma cop kaz View Post

I'm 6 days pp and still feel yuck, I felt incredible in hospital but since getting home on Saturday my pelvis has been sore and I have the dreaded mastitis, my little one wasn't attaching properly in hospital which damage my nipples so I spent yesterday at a early feeding centre and now before every feed I have to express to get her attached. I keep wishing for the next week to hurry by cos I remember I started to feel normal after two weeks with my first vbac. My labor was also quick, 4 hours and intense. My princess is a fantastic bub and is giving me 4.5 hours between each feed at night! Doubt that will last tho!!

I too am getting a long stretch at night. She is up from around 11-2am cluster feeding but then sleeps until 8 or so. I do not remember this with my other two this early. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 AM

I'm crossing my fingers that she stays this good! Both boys were every three hours overnight accompanied by a dirty nappy!! I'm just hoping this mastitis eases quickly!

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#9 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumma cop kaz View Post

I'm crossing my fingers that she stays this good! Both boys were every three hours overnight accompanied by a dirty nappy!! I'm just hoping this mastitis eases quickly!

Well last night was more of the same. I did pump a little yesterday evening just to relieve myself. She slept ALL DAY I had to wake her to feed her. I can't believe that I am getting this much sleep with a 6 day old baby. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page