Placenta Encapsulation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyWoman

#1 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone going to do placenta encapsulation or have done it already? I'm doing it with this one, I've never done it in the past. I'm hoping I'll see a big difference in recovery and mood. I need something to keep up with four kids! That being said, I don't think I'd ever be able to do the encapsulation myself, no way. I got someone from PBI doing it and she was showing me everything about my placenta and it was fascinating! Very cool.

So has anyone done it and seen a measurable difference in recovery and or ppd?

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#2 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm going to be encapsulating mine myself. There is someone nearby who would do it but the price tag is a bit up there. (An annoying thing about living in Cali - everything seems to be expensive.)

I'm interested to see what the feedback on this thread will be...

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#3 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM

I previously posted my link for doing it yourself if anyone is looking for instructions: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1285995/placenta-encapsulation 

I do it for mothers in my community and am constantly getting positive feedback (mood stabilizing, milk production, post partum healing, increased energy levels, etc.)  smile.gif

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 PM

I had my placenta encapsulated after the birth of DS2 and I have noticed a HUGE difference when I have taken them.  A local practitioner made the capsules for me, along with a homeopathic tincture, and it was so worth it. I believe it was $120 for everything.

I rationed the pills out. I took them every day for the first 2-3 weeks, and then only when I felt I needed them. When I'm having a hard time and I'm feeling emotional, I take one and I feel much better. I still have a lot of capsules left, and it's reassuring to know that they are in the freezer if I ever need them. I'm hoping to keep some for menopause. In addition, the tincture can be used by mama and baby and will last for years.

http://placentabenefits.info/

AllyFolsom likes this.
#5 of 17 Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

i'm planning on having it done.  It'd be great to do it ourselves, but I don't see that happening in our house!  

great to see that it actually does help & will be worth the investment!  

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#6 of 17 Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM

just got off the phone with the woman doing ours before logging on here. in my neck of the woods it's about $150-200 to have it done. i like the security of knowing it'll be available to me, but am not sure how often i plan to take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleka333 View Post

great to see that it actually does help & will be worth the investment!  

hoping for a !
#7 of 17 Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

I contacted a local woman who does it and she charges $200, which is outside of our price range considering we're paying for the birth and BF just got laid off (sigh).  So we talked to the midwives about it and one of them teaches an elective on it at the midwifery school.  She found one of her students who will do it for just the cost of materials (capsules, etc) and will prepare everything here (might cost us about $50).  Considering I had bad PPD last time (very likely related to PTSD from my c-section) I really wanted to encapsulate the placenta this time to ward that off and stay on top of things.  Women have been consuming their placentas forever (as do other mammals) and there's got to be a reason for that :)

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#8 of 17 Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

I previously posted my link for doing it yourself if anyone is looking for instructions: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1285995/placenta-encapsulation 

I do it for mothers in my community and am constantly getting positive feedback (mood stabilizing, milk production, post partum healing, increased energy levels, etc.)  smile.gif

Question for you: are the lemon, ginger and pepper necessary? I really want to get my placenta done tomorrow but I don't have those things in the house....

ribbonpb.gif
#9 of 17 Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Angela - Never mind: I made a trip to the market and am about to get down to business with my placenta. Thank you so much for posting instructions. thumb.gif

ribbonpb.gif
#10 of 17 Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM

i have someone coming in on monday to do mine, charges 250 which really sucks, way too much, but in soo busy with the twins that i barely have time to take a piss let alone do it myself. so im sucking it up and doing it.

thankfully i froze mine pretty much right away, with me stuck in the hospital for the first 4 days i had little option, i haven't even looked at it yet, will defrost it over the weekend, look forward to checking it out!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 17 Old 01-23-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

We ended up paying $300. I think it was well worth it. This has been the easiest, best recovery!! Plus I just couldn't do it myself, the smell uck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i have someone coming in on monday to do mine, charges 250 which really sucks, way too much, but in soo busy with the twins that i barely have time to take a piss let alone do it myself. so im sucking it up and doing it.

thankfully i froze mine pretty much right away, with me stuck in the hospital for the first 4 days i had little option, i haven't even looked at it yet, will defrost it over the weekend, look forward to checking it out!

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#12 of 17 Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 PM

I finished up mine today and began taking it. thumb.gif

ribbonpb.gif
#13 of 17 Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM

We put my placenta in the freezer after birth. We'd looked at encapsulation, but the cost scared us off. Then we looked at doing it ourselves, but the business and smell were deterrent. 

I've been doing really well it terms of mood and healing and we like to joke that if I get blue we'll just "defrost the placenta and make tacos." That probably sounds weird, but we have an odd humor. I would actually just eat the placenta if I started feeling really blue, but so far so good. 

#14 of 17 Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Bummer, my lady was supposed to come in today but got a cold, so we wait till next week. Really wanted to start taking it, they are starting to drink so much, I no longer make any extra milk I worry about that, sure could use the boost to my pumping. I'm also traveling this weekend and could use any extra health and energy I would get, too bad.
Glad at least I'm getting ti done at all.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#15 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM

I got mine done but the woman told me to hold off taking it until my sickness subsides...  I was fortunate she wanted to trade for my jewelry in lieu of the $200 charge...Yeah for bartering!  I can't wait to start taking it.

#16 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Several people mentioned a smell being a deterrent- are you just assuming or what?  When mine was dehydrating it smelled really good to both me and my boyfriend.  Kinda like steak cooking or something.  It didn't smell bad at all. 

#17 of 17 Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 AM

i dehydrated half of mine in the oven (other half i chopped into cubes to throw into smoothies) and didnt have an issue with bad smells

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page