Anyone else headed for 42 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm at 41 weeks 3 days. I've become depressed and irritable about it, as I do not think my body is ever going to go into labor. I'm only dilated to 1, with a long cervix and minimal softening. I've had a little bloody show, but that was after an exam so I don't even think it counts. Baby still has not settled in my pelvis. My DS was already born by this point and I was sure my second pregnancy would end sooner than my first. I'm becoming very upset because if I go past 42 weeks I'll lose my lovely birth center experience and end up at the hospital delivering with whatever OB happens to be on staff at the moment. Great. I can't thoroughly express my horror at that thought. I have visions of the OB storming into the my room and demanding I be hooked up to a fetal monitor, breaking my water and starting pitocin, with the whole situation ending in a C-sec. I am thoroughly terrified of needing an epidural. My mother died of Multiple Sclerosis when I was young. She was paralyzed from the waist down and I have a particular fear of being immobilized that way. I'm going in to see my MW today and we will start stepping up the natural induction methods. I was saving CO as a last resort but it looks like I'll be trying that tomorrow. With DS all I had to do was buy the stuff and my labor started. Am I the only one with an extremely stubborn baby?

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM

DDCC...I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated. I know the feeling very well. I went over 42 weeks with my first two and to 41 5/7 with my third. It is a very frustrating time. I was lucky and was still able to have my birth center and home births with the first two but I know exactly how you're feeling. I am only 13 weeks now but living in another country and I know I'll end up at the hospital if I go past 42 weeks this time. Daunting!

Something I wanted to recommend that really helped me was to take a really good mental and emotional look, just for one afternoon, at the question, *What if?* What if you do go to the hospital?  What can you prepare ahead of time to help you get through that situation? be it things to pack to take with you, or a support person to have on hand, or a birth plan for that situation, or a state of mind, research different induction methods so you're informed...whatever. Make a mental plan for what if the worst happens, how will I get through it? once you've done it, pack that all away as best you can, you've taken care of it, you can revisit it *if* that situation arises... then get to focusing only on visualising the birth you want, your cervix ripening and opening, your baby being in the best position possible etc....

I assume you've talked to your MW about things to help ripen your cervix, EPO, sex etc. Maybe try some hypnosis (there are CDs or MP3s available), or accupuncture, or chiropractic???  Maybe discuss nipple stimulation with her? maybe you're not quite ready for that yet, I don't know....

Wishing you the very best for labour to get going soon and that you have the birth experience you're hoping for.

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#3 of 6 Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't have any particular advise. I do like what the pp said about taking some time to consider the "what if" and then move on.
I can tell you that my 1st and 3rd went past 42 weeks. 2nd was 2 days past my EDD so I was shocked when #3 went the longest at 17 days past. I am now on #4 and an 40+5 and feeling that nothing is on the horizon for me. It is incredibly frustrating being on a time limit. One of the natural techniques is bound to work for you.
Best of luck to you. These days are very long but you really are just days (if that!) away from meeting your baby.
Funny how I can say that to you but not to myself! It's very hard isn't it?

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#4 of 6 Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the thoughtful replies grouphug.gif It seems that all I have to do is post my fears on here and later in the day I'm feeling better. I saw my MW today and found out that I'm making some progress. Almost 3 cm and 75% effaced. I did the NST, which was perfect, and my fluid levels are fine. I checked out the hospital that I would be going to if I don't go into labor on time, and they are very nice and accommodating of the mother's wishes. My MW told me to hold off on the CO for now, since it's such a nasty way to go into labor. She thinks that we can still do the "wait and see" approach. I've just been doing EPO and walks.

I feel like I know the worst case scenario now, and that's a big help in accepting it should it actually happen.

Phoebe, I hope your baby gets moving soon, too. It is so frustrating. I know I'm supposed to do things to stay active and keep my mind off of it, but that's impossible. The days are loooong.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#5 of 6 Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Big hugs mama.  I completely understand your frustration.  With ds2 I "risked out" of the birth center at 42 weeks and was sent to the hx for pit.  Although it was not the ideal situation, we made the best of it and had a great experience all around.  Ds3 came at 41w5d--homebirth that time so no risking out.  I'm at 40w6d with ds4 and shockingly calmer this time around.  I just keep repeating my mantra: Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Hang in there mama.  He'll come when he is ready and it will be wonderful.  

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#6 of 6 Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas2atti View Post

Big hugs mama.  I completely understand your frustration.  With ds2 I "risked out" of the birth center at 42 weeks and was sent to the hx for pit.  Although it was not the ideal situation, we made the best of it and had a great experience all around.  Ds3 came at 41w5d--homebirth that time so no risking out.  I'm at 40w6d with ds4 and shockingly calmer this time around.  I just keep repeating my mantra: Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Nobody has ever been pregnant forever.  Hang in there mama.  He'll come when he is ready and it will be wonderful.  

Thanks for the encouragement smile.gif Yes I am terrified of having to go to the hospital and getting induced. This is my last baby, I so want to have him at the birth center. DS was born in the hospital and it was all natural but I also had my MW there to shield me from interventions. I won't have that this time so it freaks me out. I only have 3 days left to go into labor "or else." Hopefully nipple stim and castor oil work. Sending you some labor-starting vibes, too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page