A hellish day. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please excuse my rant. I really need sympathetic ears. 

Had a day from hell yesterday. Here is the bullet point:

Drive 3 hrs to get birth certificate. 

Bleed through my pants (ahhh!) Luckily my midwife loaned me a pair, but unggg. 

Husband nearly pees pants on SF golden gate bridge (Thanks traffic!)

2 week PP appointment. Hear my birth center is moving to smaller location/greatly cutting back as of next month because of budget. Try not to cry on scene. Such a loss for this community. 

See friend at midwife who goes into labor.

Friend's husband disappears and my husband and I support her through early (but intense) labor for more than an hour. Woah! We hadn't planned this.

Laboring friend has a number of seizures and midwife has to call 911. 

Friend is okay, but probably having a very medical birth as we speak. Waiting for updates. 

Get $50 parking ticket because we hadn't planned on that

Stop in starbucks for a tea to calm down AND THIS WOMAN asks in a really weird way if she can hold baby (who is 12 days old!) and I say, "No, sorry." She lingers, waits until my husband gets up and then puts her arms under mine and asks for the baby again. I growled a super fierce "NOOO." at her and seriously would have hit her if both of my arms weren't full of baby. She wasn't even small-taking with us when she started lobbying to hold the baby. WTF?

Drive through bridge without cash. $30 ticket. Ah. brain fail. 

Sob in the back seat for a bit. Mumble "Seizures. She tried to take my baby. Ow my breasts. I'm covered in blood." etc. 

Pull over on the 99 for more than 1.5 hrs because now we're traveling through baby's usual hungry hours. 

An awful, awful day. 

I'm really curious though, has anyone else had their baby bring out the crazy in random strangers? I can't believe that woman tried to take my baby from arms. I've never heard of such a thing. I keep wondering what she might have done if I'd let her hold my daughter? Nothing? Kidnap? Unexpected psycho business? 

I'm so weary. We're never going out again. I have takeout menus and I know how to use them. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Your day beats mine.  I thought mine was bad when a minivan parked so close to me at the grocery store that I couldn't fit my huge pregnant body between the two cars to get in to mine.  I was about to burst into tears on the spot and I think I'm going to tell my husband that my grocery shopping days are over for the rest of the pregnancy.

I would have ESPECIALLY been p*ssed about that women putting her arms under yours.  I had someone do that when I was holding someone else's baby and I was like, "WTF, baby etiquette, ok!"

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

DDCC I live in the bay and the lady at starbucks sounds pretty normal for the city. We had to kick a guy out of my work (grocery store) because every time he would come in he would try the same thing on mothers that were shopping. Also ask them odd BFing questions and such. Really strange, made everybody uncomfortable.

I missed the last sausalito exit a few months back and told the guy at the toll booth and he said they would send me the $30 ticket but I don't think he snapped my plates because I never got the ticket. I hope the same happens for you.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Ugh - sorry you had such a craptastic day.  Some people have NO boundaries, especially crazy people.  But even people that seem sane seem drawn to babies and crossing boundaries.  With my first, I remember people getting right in his face, taking out his pacifier (like he's going to start talking to you without that plug in his mouth), my MIL shoving her acrylic fingernailed finger in my day old baby's mouth b/c he was crying and even had people try to touch both my kids while they were in the sling.  Irritating... and in your case, damn scary.  

Sounds like you need to stay home, where you're safe, and recuperate from that day!

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 PM

DDCC- babies really do bring out the weirdness in people! Over here it seems like people think of babies as like "community property". I remember the first time I went shopping with DD1 (she was around 5 months old) without DH over here (we live in Japan). I was at the commissary and she was in one carts that have the baby seats on them, I turned to get something off the shelf, turned back and some woman had taken her out of the cart and was holding her. I almost flipped, who takes a complete strangers baby out of the cart. i ended up yelling at her which she didn't understand a single thing I said, gave me the baby back and walked away while her friend gave me a dirty look. I found out later it was pretty typical which is why most peopel have their child in their carseats or in a carrier attached to them. DD1 didn't ride in a cart again until she was older and could scream NO at someone who tried to touch her.. DD2 didn't ride in a cart until I was pregnant again so she was almost 17 months old.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page