Lila is here! 1/21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My water broke at 4:45 am on Wednesday morning. I was thrilled since I was over a week late at that point! The contractions were mild until around noon, when I started having to really focus and breathe through them. I labored at home for quite a while, using my birth ball and Hypnobabies techniques, until the contractions got really tough and we decided to head to our birth center.

A combination of a posterior baby and a posterior cervix made the birth slow and excruciating. My midwife would hold my cervix in a better position for 4-5 contractions, then let me labor. Even though we did this several times, it always slipped back and I'd actually lose a few centimeters of dilation. I tried to relax and work with my body, assuming that with time I'd progress, but it became pure agony and I was discouraged that the attempts to move the cervix kept failing. Also, although the contractions were very strong, they weren't getting much closer together.

At this point, I decided to transfer to the hospital. I'd been saying that for a while, out of sheer pain and desperation, but at this point I really meant it. I was a bit disappointed in myself - I had put a lot of effort into preparing for a natural birth, and I couldn't help but feel like a failure for happily accepting all the interventions I was previously against. But, I'm a pretty go-with-the-flow person so I didn't mind the change of plans too much. The epidural helped me relax and a touch of Pitocin made the contractions more regular. Lila was born at 1:17 am after an hour and a half of pushing. There was meconium in the water so she was quickly taken to the warmer to be checked out, but she was perfectly fine so within minutes I had her skin to skin on my chest. She immediately grabbed my thumb and squeezed tight! I couldn't believe she'd just come out of me, even though I'd seen it for myself!

Even though my birth was the opposite of what I envisioned, I am still very happy with my experience and glad for all the choices I made. I'd heard so many hospital horror stories, especially in natural birth circles, but everything went smoothly for me and I don't regret transferring. I do wonder what would have happened if I'd stayed at the birth center, but I guess I'll never know and I'm okay with that. My little girl is gorgeous and healthy and I can't believe she's really here!

esoy2b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 AM

What a beautiful baby!  Congratulations!

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#3 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Congrats on a beautiful baby girl!
And even though things didn't go the way you envisioned, you made informed decisions and that's whats important!

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Congratulations! And going-with-the-flow is the best you can do for your baby! Next time hopefully you'll get your completely natural birth!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page