Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   January 2011 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/551-january-2011/)
-   -   c-section mommies (http://www.mothering.com/forum/551-january-2011/1293719-c-section-mommies.html)

closedaccount15 01-24-2011 10:34 AM

How are you doing with your recovery? I planned and hoped and tried for a vbac, but it didn't happen, the midwives tried so hard too, I made it to 9 centimeters without any drugs, but then the pain seemed abnormal and after getting an epi and pushing for 2 1/2 hours without the baby moving down at all, I decided on a repeat c-section.

Anyway, this recovery has been so much harder than my first and I pushed for much longer with my first and she was 2 pounds heavier! I remember feeling normal after 3 weeks or so last time. A few days after getting home from the hospital this time, I got a bladder infection that wasn't detected until 8 days after my fever started. I have 2 more days on antibiotics but it's still a little hard for me to tell when I have to pee, I am still taking percocet some days, and I am getting depressed because I am not bouncing back as well. thank goodness I have a very content and predictable baby this time, otherwise I would be miserable.

Anyone else have a harder than expected recovery? I am beating myself up for still asking for help and needing pain drugs, I am being so hard on myself which is making things worse. I feeling like I am wishing the month away just so I can feel better faster, but that means my baby gets older faster too!

kerrybennysmama 01-24-2011 01:12 PM

I had my 3rd CS just about 2 weeks ago.  I would say my recovery after the 3rd has actually been a little easier than the first two that were not planned.  I actually found my worst recovery to be my 2nd CS.  I tried for a VBAC and I too made it to about 9 cm but the baby got into a weird position and wouldnt come down any further.  I actually think that it was worse becuase I labored so long and then had surgery on top of it.  Having a CS is major surgery and I think sometimes because its connected with a happy occassion we forget that.  Its not an easy recovery at all.  Even with my 3rd time after 2 weeks I am still in pain.  My body feels worn and I recently now have a cold.  So be easy on yourself and take help so that you can feel well.

teeg1973 01-26-2011 04:50 AM

I guess technically I didn't have an RCS, but the outcome  regarding recovery was the same....I had my VBAC followed by an emergency hysterectomy where they re-opened the prior c-section scar to remove my uterus.  Good times.

The recovery from the CS actually hasn't been so bad this time, but then week 2 my DD was back in the hospital due to RSV so I didn't have much time to think about myself.  Honestly, I wish I hadn't gone for the VBAC and had gone straight to the c-section as I had originally planned (water broke a few days prior to planned section and we decided to go with a trial of labor).  The VBAC was fairly traumatic in its own right and while my stomach and c-section feel pretty good right now, it is my episiotomy and hemorrhoids (which I never had before pushing) that are still giving me issues right now.

Lilymonster - I am sorry things didn't go as planned for you (I can certainly sympathize on that one). I hope your healing from here on out goes quickly!

Tracy

justduckyangie 01-26-2011 07:05 AM

Lilymonster - I think you have to give yourself a break...I know easier said than done. Remember with your first c/s you didn't have a 3 year old to run after! I know that's what is really tiring me out this time around. Plus I'm not one to "sleep when the baby sleeps"...um plus I can't with an active 3 yo and two school age kids. I get up in the morning to help get the kids off to school and I seriously just want to go back to bed sooo bad when they get on the bus!

closedaccount15 01-26-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justduckyangie View Post

Lilymonster - I think you have to give yourself a break...I know easier said than done. Remember with your first c/s you didn't have a 3 year old to run after! I know that's what is really tiring me out this time around. Plus I'm not one to "sleep when the baby sleeps"...um plus I can't with an active 3 yo and two school age kids. I get up in the morning to help get the kids off to school and I seriously just want to go back to bed sooo bad when they get on the bus!

I have had a lot of help...but yeah, I am too hard on myself. I feel guilty for not spending time with my daughter, 3/4 is a hard age as it is, and now seeing mommy not being able to play with her, I feel so bad for her too. So I know I want to get better for that reason.