Any other 10 month mamas out there? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post

Well, went to Dr today and I am 1cm, and -3. I told them I wanted membrane strip but they said I needed to be more dilated. They did try but couldn't do it.

They want to admit me Wednesday night, get a cervical ripener, and then begin the induction in the morning.

I had a NST today that made them worried, although was followed up with a good one otherwise they wanted to induce me like right now after that first one! I was like, eek!

She has told me to do nipple stimulation as much as I can tonight. But she also said that if my cervix looks tomorrow like it does today, they are going to use cytotec. I talked with her a bit about it, seemed rather extreme, but she said that so many first time inductions fail that she wants to hit my cervix with the big guns right away and she feels it will make the rest of the induction go more gently. I have always heard bad things about cytotec, but I also admit I have been DTD frequently these last weeks, so apparently bathing my cervix in hormones is not cutting it anyway.

I mean this in the best tone possible and it is a warning but I feel compelled to give it based on my own experiences with this drug.

Cytotec can fail as well.  Also, using cytotec when you are this late in the game is like using a grenade to open a door that is already ajar. They CAN use other cervical ripeners but they cost more than pennies a pill and that is why they are using cytotec.  Cytotec is dirt cheap and that is why they like to use it-and it WILL blast your baby out esp if they use anything more than 25 mcg during a 4 hour period but even then there is no way to know how it will effect YOUR cervix because no one has done adequate research on this ulcer drug.  It is not just a cervical ripener as a lot of med professional like to tout--it does often cause the uterus to be hyperstimulated-back-to-back contractions-no rest in-between etc etc.  I know this because it happened to me!

I spent a lot of time researching journal articles written by docs who basically did the research "on-the-job" because Searle won't pay for a legit study of their drug and I thought I was informed.  However, we will never know the real ramifications of the off-label use of this drug until Searle decides to do the right thing and cough up the money for an empirical research study.

I won't share too many details-but just know I sustained a traumatic injury from having this drug used on my cervix when I was 41+5 with my second child.  The contractions were too strong and our baby came way too fast.  I never ever want to go through that again--I had to speak up-someone needs to let you know you can say NO to cytotec!  Frankly, I suggest strongly that you refuse this drug and opt for one that is specifically FDA approved for cervical ripening.  There are no guarantees that your uterus will not be hyperstimulated by cervidil but at least you can better empower yourself with actual peer-reviewed research on that drug.  Opt for the most gentle induction-cytotec is not one of them.

Why not start on a very low-dose of pit?  Doc was not understating cytotec being the "big-guns".  It will blast your baby right out of there...  I had a doc tell me they don't use that drug for routine induction unless they want the baby to come out NOW.  

Please do your research and make an informed choice before allowing this drug to be used on your cervix.  If you have any reservations don't do it-it is not worth it.

Big Hugs,

Rosa

Mommy to 3 babes and expecting #4 any day (41+4).

#32 of 44 Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I think I will call them tomorrow and discuss further.

I don't have much of a problem with it being off label, I am familiar with the medical field and I know lots of drugs are safely and routinely used off label. Usually once something gets into common off label usage nobody is willing to pony up the money to pay for the study to get FDA approval. (This is actually my field, monitoring of drug testing regulations)

Anyway, I am very concerned with this use of cytotec and the associated risks. Just a simple google search is frightening.  Researching it is making me so ill, I have been considering just asking for a C section. greensad.gif

I did protest about the cytotec and they said they would have cervadil on order, but I should really go with the cytotec. But I will call them tomorrow.

#33 of 44 Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegarden77 View Post

Why not start on a very low-dose of pit? 

I actually did ask about this, she said my cervix was so very very "not ready" the pitocin won't work at all.

#34 of 44 Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Go with your gut instinct.  I really thought hard about posting my post because I know how hard it is waiting and having nothing happening and worrying-I did not want to add to that.  Then the big sister/Mama said Nope-gotta give her a heads-up! LOL.

I carry my babies a long time and have had them just about every way but a c-section (which I feel fortunate and am very thankful for).  I am fully prepared to go past 42 weeks because I am so sure about my dates from charting OV and Sex etc. that I don't think I wil be pregnant for much longer-the odds are in our favor!

There are a lot of scary info sites but then there are lots of good sound informative evidence based sites as well.  I have no doubt with your prof. background you will have no problem discerning between them.  Frankly, I like to skip the general internet search and just use our university research databases since I can access journal articles for free. 

The good thing about cervidil other than that it is specifically formulated for cervical ripening-is that it can be removed because it has a retrieval cord.  This significantly reduces the risk of over-stimulation.  With cytotec once it is in there-that is it.  They would have to administer more drugs to counteract any hyperstimulation.

All that being stated-at the end of the day no one gets to make the decision but you.  Ultimately you need to be able to say this was your decision because no one else has to live with it.  I am a big believer in allowing women to have all the options available to them.  Don't be afraid to speak up for what you want and NEED-it is your body and you are the only expert in your body.

I am sending you HHB vibes  (happy healthy birthing)

Warm Sisterly Hugs,

Rosa

#35 of 44 Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Well, good news. I spoke with my Dr today and he had already noted how uncomfortable I was about cytotec, so he had already secured permission for me to go with cervadil instead. We agreed there was no reason to rush and he understands a want a more gentle route.

I have two doctors, a physican/resident pair, and I usually see the resident because he is super awesome, laid back, friendly, and supportive of whatever I want. However, he was working with the head staff physician (who I had never seen before) for my visit yesterday, I think because he is male and they always have a female present for vaginal checks. Anyway, it wasn't him pushing the cytotec, it was the head physician, and I think only being a resident, he was not in any place to disagree with her pushing the cytotec, although he did manage to mention a few alternatives at the time while she was INSISTING cytotec is the way to go.

So I confirmed we are good to go with the cervidil. (however you spell it)

#36 of 44 Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegarden77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post

Well, went to Dr today and I am 1cm, and -3. I told them I wanted membrane strip but they said I needed to be more dilated. They did try but couldn't do it.

They want to admit me Wednesday night, get a cervical ripener, and then begin the induction in the morning.

I had a NST today that made them worried, although was followed up with a good one otherwise they wanted to induce me like right now after that first one! I was like, eek!

She has told me to do nipple stimulation as much as I can tonight. But she also said that if my cervix looks tomorrow like it does today, they are going to use cytotec. I talked with her a bit about it, seemed rather extreme, but she said that so many first time inductions fail that she wants to hit my cervix with the big guns right away and she feels it will make the rest of the induction go more gently. I have always heard bad things about cytotec, but I also admit I have been DTD frequently these last weeks, so apparently bathing my cervix in hormones is not cutting it anyway.

I mean this in the best tone possible and it is a warning but I feel compelled to give it based on my own experiences with this drug.

Cytotec can fail as well.  Also, using cytotec when you are this late in the game is like using a grenade to open a door that is already ajar. They CAN use other cervical ripeners but they cost more than pennies a pill and that is why they are using cytotec.  Cytotec is dirt cheap and that is why they like to use it-and it WILL blast your baby out esp if they use anything more than 25 mcg during a 4 hour period but even then there is no way to know how it will effect YOUR cervix because no one has done adequate research on this ulcer drug.  It is not just a cervical ripener as a lot of med professional like to tout--it does often cause the uterus to be hyperstimulated-back-to-back contractions-no rest in-between etc etc.  I know this because it happened to me!

I spent a lot of time researching journal articles written by docs who basically did the research "on-the-job" because Searle won't pay for a legit study of their drug and I thought I was informed.  However, we will never know the real ramifications of the off-label use of this drug until Searle decides to do the right thing and cough up the money for an empirical research study.

I won't share too many details-but just know I sustained a traumatic injury from having this drug used on my cervix when I was 41+5 with my second child.  The contractions were too strong and our baby came way too fast.  I never ever want to go through that again--I had to speak up-someone needs to let you know you can say NO to cytotec!  Frankly, I suggest strongly that you refuse this drug and opt for one that is specifically FDA approved for cervical ripening.  There are no guarantees that your uterus will not be hyperstimulated by cervidil but at least you can better empower yourself with actual peer-reviewed research on that drug.  Opt for the most gentle induction-cytotec is not one of them.

Why not start on a very low-dose of pit?  Doc was not understating cytotec being the "big-guns".  It will blast your baby right out of there...  I had a doc tell me they don't use that drug for routine induction unless they want the baby to come out NOW.  

Please do your research and make an informed choice before allowing this drug to be used on your cervix.  If you have any reservations don't do it-it is not worth it.

Big Hugs,

Rosa

Mommy to 3 babes and expecting #4 any day (41+4).

This is purely anecdotal, but I wanted to share that I had a cytotec induction this pregnancy that went great.  This is my third pregnancy and I had a very medically necessary induction at 38 weeks (3 to 4 weeks earlier than my other children were born).  I know my situation was quite different than yours, but I had a quick, easy labor with no interventions other than the cytotec.  I know that is not really a minor intervention, but I had zero pain meds, no IV, no continuous monitoring, was allowed to eat every 4 hours right before the next dose of cytotec (it took 3 25 mg doses to start my labor), etc.  The labor felt very natural and my daughter did wonderfully.  I did some pretty extensive research before my daughter's birth and, with the input of my midwife, opted to try cytotec.  

I'm glad you're going with cervidil since you're more comfortable with it.  For me, the cervidil would've meant being attached to a monitor my entire labor which I didn't want.  I was going to use it only if the cytotec didn't work and then pitocin and/or AROM as a last resort.  I'm not trying to change your mind, I just wanted to share in case the cervidil doesn't work well for you and you are considering other options.  Hope your labor goes well and you are holding that little one soon!

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#37 of 44 Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

@MamatoElias ~ I'm curious if you know why the hospital would require constant monitoring if you have the cervidil and not the cytotec. Way to go on getting through the birth unmedicated, even though it was an induction...Sounds like you were a very determined woman :0)

#38 of 44 Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM

My understanding is that cervidil is released for the entire 12 hours it is in (or until it is removed), so you are monitored the entire time.  Plus, I don't think you can be up and around too much because you want to keep it in place.  Cytotec is absorbed more quickly which is why 25 mcg can be inserted every 4 hours x 4 doses,  I was on EFM for 1 hour after each dose (not an issue for me since my labor started almost 4 hours after the third dose).  Then I was allowed to walk around the hospital, shower, sit on the birth ball, shower, etc.  I just had to come back and check in with my nurse every 30 minutes or so to have fetal heart tones checked.  

I just googled it and it sounds like the policies at my hospital are pretty standard as far as monitoring with cytotec vs cervidil.  

#39 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Well, I had prevadil (sp?) cytotec, and cervadil over a period of 45 hours.

They administered the cytotec cautiously and the lowest dose.

I did however, never go into labor, and was C sectioned after 45 hours of irregular contractions and barely making it to 3 centimeters,

There are some things I may have done differently in hidsight, but I think the important thing is I have a very healthy and vigourous baby now.

Also, I was treated with the utmost repsect and compassion by everyone at the hospital. It was a tough ride but I feel so greatful and how much empathy and compassion I recieved.

Will fill in more details on the birth thread once things are not so crazy here with the new baby (and first time parents with no family to help)

#40 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Greenmulberry, congrats on your little one's arrival.  I'm sorry to hear that your birth did not go as planned.  I hope you are being gentle with yourself and giving your body time to heal.  I'm so glad you encountered such kindness at the hospital.  While a healthy baby is, of course, the most important thing, your birth experience matters too.  Its okay to mourn the loss of your ideal birth if that is how you are feeling.  Hope you have an easy recovery.  Enjoy your precious newborn!

#41 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Congrats greenmulberry. I couldn't read and not respond, I came very close to being C-sectioned myself. I hope you are healing well and getting good rest. I know it's hard without having anyone around to help, it's just me and hubby too. I hope every day things are getting better for you, I'm sure they will in time. And echoing PP, it's definitely OK to mourn the loss of the birth you had wanted if that's what you feel, it's what you need to do to get past it and heal yourself. Take care mama.

#42 of 44 Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

greenmullberry, cograts on the arrival of you LO. Sound like your baby just wasnt ready to be born yet greensad.gif I'm so sorry you ended up with a section. I hope you are being well taken care of so you can heal. I wanted to reiterate that it's completely okay to grieve the loss of the birth you wanted. Ignore anyone who tells you to 'just be grateful you have a healthy baby' - the birth and the baby are two separate things; of course you are happy your baby is healthy, duh. But you can still be bummed about the birth. www.ican-online.org is a great resource. There is also a great yahoo group which was instrumental in my own healing. Many gentle hugs to you.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#43 of 44 Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Thank you both for the kind words. What makes me sad was not being there for her right away because of being drugged up and in pain. So many things got started differently than I had wanted but we are making up for lost time now.smile.gif

#44 of 44 Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Nod... I remember the realization that everyone there (some family and friends) all held my first son before I was even out of surgery. 10 years later and it still stings a little. Take care of yourself mama (or better yet, let other people take care of you smile.gif )

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page