Forgive me if there was somewhere else to post this-I will try to keep short. For thsoe who want to read.
On Wed Jan 12th I went for 39 week check-up. My midwife said I was dilated to a 3 & was "guessing" our baby to be over 8lbs. DH & I agreed that we would like my membranes to be "swept." So when she checked, she said she would if she could. So she did that w/ 2 tries. Said if it was going to help move things along it would happen w/ in 48 hrs. If not...just wait for baby.
That night/next morning around 4am I felt what I thought was water trickling. Wasn't sure since it was broken for me last time. Trickled again around 6ish. When I got up I had a contraction-nothing too major. Cont'd to trickle on/off but hesitant to do/say anything b/c no real/bad ctrx. Send DH 2 work, called dr office but they said if I thought it was water I should just go to hospital, but let me make an appt. I called DH & he came home. Took our time getting ready. Told my parents (7 hrs away) and they were on the road. Dropped DS off w/ friend.
Checked in at hospital around noon. Confirmed it was water that was broken. Found out that only the doctors delivered at this hospital...not the midwives-like I was told by ob practice. A dr I never met was on call & was already saying I needed pitocin. Tears in eyes...b/c planning natural/no drugs.
Got to room & gave me a lil bit, then started pitocin. Couldn't even walk out of room b/c I had to be hooked up to monitors and pitocin. They bumped it up "slowly." I used a birthing ball, but standing made the ctrx stronger-which is what I wanted b/c I didn't want to slow the process down. DH got me one of my hypnobirthing cds out that my therapist made me. My parents arrived at 4pm. I was doing good...think they pumped the pitocin too much. I asked for drugs in IV-w/ last birth it made me drowsy for about 30-40 min. Plan was to get some rest & compose myself & not use epidural. BUT...this drug did not help at all. It was nubane-not sure what I had last time. So I'm trying to get out of bed b/c it's not helping, even though they say not to get up. So disappointed, so I asked for epidural. Found out later that my hubby was pretending to tell nurse-not to be mean,b ut he knew how much I wanted to do natural. My mother was telling him to ask...I heard none of this though. They checked me before the IV drug and I was still at a 6. Got epidural b/w 6:30/6:40. The minute they got done I said " i feel pressure i need to push." They checked me and I was a 9 1/2. They said I had to wait b/c the dr wasn't there. So for 20 minutes i had to WAIT to push. I started pushing at 7, she was born at 7:03 PM. Caroline Hazel was 8lbs & 4oz, 20 1/2 in long. They were supportive of me holding her for several minutes & hubby cutting cord. They pretty much asked me if I was ready for them to clean her off & weigh her. The nurses were GREAT, it was just the dr from OB practice that pushed pitocin-didn't like her bedside manner. Caroline brought back to me, my mom & hubby held her. I nursed her-she did pretty good. Nurses were helpful/encouraging. I only tore a little, no stiches. Took about 90 min after her birth to get switched to other room.
I was disappointed b/c I think if the IV drug would have worked I wouldn't have asked for epidural. If they would have checked me before epidural & at a 9 1/2...I wouldn't have asked for it. Don't know why they didn't check beforehand. But anyways, I went a lot longer bc of hypno preparation. Both of us were/are very healthy. She lost 6oz before we left-but gained that and 6 more by her 2 week check up. Still sore from nursing & not the best latch-but better than w/ DS. I think healing for me has been easier this time. :-) We r very blessed!
DDDC. Sorry you're birth didn't go as planned, but I'm glad your babe is here and nursing well! Congrats!
I wanted to say that I had a similar experience with pitocin and the epidural. I was at 5 cm for a while and they just kept upping the pit to no avail (other than I was getting more and more stressed and in agonizing pain). I asked for the epi and then 20 minutes later they checked me and I had dilated completely to a 10. So, I really believe that the epidural can allow your body to relax enough to do the work it needs to do, particularly when you're subject to an "unnatural" pitocin induction. So, my point is, that it may very well have been the epi that allowed you to dliate, and not that you'd already done it. My friend who is a nurse says that this is very common (sadly, it's common because pit inductions are common, but still). Just something to think about and hopefully help you feel less disappointed. It sounds like you did great with the circumstances you had :)
That's what my nurse said. She's a mother of 2 & said she tried to go w/o epidural & as soon as she had it she was dialted & ready to push. Nothing u can do about what's already happened. Funny how it does kind of make me want to try for a 3rd. I mean we aren't decided on one or not, but u know what I mean. I think if the first drug would have worked i would have been able to make it-but who knows? Was this experience w/ ur 5th? :)
I wanted to do homebirth, but DH really not comfy w/ it. Plus no family nearby since they're 7 hrs away. I don't know why they force pitocin so much. Thought i read that u need to deliver within 48 hrs of water breaking. Not even 12 hrs after and they forcing it w/ me.
Welcome to your little girl!
I had a hospital birth and my midwife told me studies show that results for baby and mom are the same up to 3 days after your water breaking and giving birth. Hospital policy was 24 hours w/out contractions mean pitocin.
Mama to three