Extended lochia or pp af? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm 7.5 weeks pp. I thought I was all finished with my lochia but then a couple of days ago I began bleeding again. I would say it's light flow. It was bright red then maroon then some brown and now back to red. I wonder if this could be a period although after my first it took 4 or so months before my period returned. I had my final pp check up with my midwife around 5.5 weeks pp and she did mention that my cervix was anterior when she would have expected it to be posterior (or vice versa - I forget). So perhaps it is simply lochia....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no idea but I'm also just shy of 8 weeks pp (tomorrow) and starting bleeding last night. I'm fairly certain that it's AF and am not surprised. I exclusively pump for DD and don't pump in the middle of the night.  When I had DS 3 years ago my midwife told me that AF would return once my breasts weren't stimulated (nursing) from 12-6am and/or less than X number of minutes per day (66?). 

So since I'm "sleeping through the night" I'm not surprised to see AF return.

BUT even for those who do nurse/pump in the wee hours my friend had her AF return at 8 weeks pp, also her 2nd child (and she was exclusively nursing). 

if you're concerned call your midwife and see what she says. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hm. I'm nursing on demand around the clock as I was when my period returned after the birth of my first son.

I'm not really concerned. Just confused/curious.

ribbonpb.gif
#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM

I'm nursing on demand around the clock, and just had my SECOND pp period. The first was at 5 weeks pp and everyone insisted it was just a second round of lochia (which had stopped after 3 weeks) but exactly 32 days later it happened again, right on schedule. My son will be 11 weeks old in a few days, and the longest he ever goes between feedings is about 3.5 hours.

#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 PM

I am also nursing around the clock and just had my second pp period. very light and very short but it happened.  sigh.  LO is 8 weeks old.

#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

The episode of bleeding ended up lasting from that Friday through Tuesday or Wednesday. So very possibly a period. I told hubby we really need to be careful with BC just in case!

ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page