Bad news - Update: I'm out - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to get my proof of pregnancy today from the local pregnancy clinic. They tested my urine twice and could barely find a second line, kept telling me they were negative tests. I told them about my positive digital test's at home so they gave me an abdominal ultrasound and a vaginal one.

They couldn't see anything. So I was given information on miscarriages and tubal pregnancies and sent home. If I'm still "pregnant" in two weeks I'm supposed to go back for another ultrasound.

It's so weird cause I've lost babies before, but it felt different. I still feel very pregnant right now.

I was bummed to find out I was expecting, and now I'm devastated to be losing the baby. And scared to death about the possible tubal pregnancy.

So I guess nothing is for sure yet, but it's not looking hopeful.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#2 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM

How far along are you mama? I was under the impression it was common not to "see" anything for awhile yet.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm going to stay positive along with you.

I'm hoping your bean is just hiding.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#4 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Oh no! I am very sad to hear that. Please keep us posted. And take care of yourself. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you!

(I'm DDC crashing ... I've been following your posts in other forums)

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#5 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Oh dear! I will be thinking of you and hoping that this is a mistake. Great big hugs!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#6 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. Hopefully they just used really unsensitive tests and it was too early to see anything on the US (which it probably is).

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM

From what I understand it is hard to see much until around 6 weeks. Have you tried another pregnancy test at home? Maybe theirs just wasn't sensitve? I've had a miscarriage before and my hcg levels were still high while I was bleeding alot, the er told me I was still pregnant due to the levels - but when I had a vaginal ultrasound two days later the babys heart wasn't beating anymore That was at about 8-9 weeks.
My thoughts are with you and I'm hoping everything works out for you.
#8 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaw/two View Post
From what I understand it is hard to see much until around 6 weeks. Have you tried another pregnancy test at home? Maybe theirs just wasn't sensitve? I've had a miscarriage before and my hcg levels were still high while I was bleeding alot, the er told me I was still pregnant due to the levels - but when I had a vaginal ultrasound two days later the babys heart wasn't beating anymore That was at about 8-9 weeks.
My thoughts are with you and I'm hoping everything works out for you.

Until mid-to-late 4 weeks time, it can even be hard to find a sac
Until mid-to-late 5 weeks time, its impossible to find a fetal pole (and after that rare but happens)
Until mid-to-late 6 weeks time, its totally normal not to see a heartbeat

Everything is SO tiny in the beginning...

And offices tend to use tests that test for 100miu

if you used a FRER digi I would say it tests for about 20miu and a CBE digi tests for about 25-30miu

doubling every 48 hours (normal doubling time) 2 days later you could only be 40-60miu or so! a 100miu would NEVER pick it up.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 PM

What a terrible day! I am really surprised they didn't do a blood test. Big hugs and keep us posted.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#10 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM

with my second the office test said I wasn't pregnant and the blood test was the one that confirmed it (and I went out that night and bought another one before getting the results back to make sure!)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#11 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Mama hang in there! Mae's right. You may just have had an awful day that doesn't mean anything in the long run. Can you call the office and ask the sensitivity of their pregnancy test?

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#12 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I took four digital tests at home this week that were all positive (afternoon pee too). They are basing this impending miscarriage off of the fact that the tests are saying almost negative today and because the ultrasound showed nothing but what looks like a "period" about to start. It's not a real doctors office though, just a pregnancy clinic. I see a real doctor on the 8th.

Ever since I got the news I swear I feel crampy and have less symptoms. Maybe that's all in my head though.

It's just really disturbing to not know if I'm still pregnant or not. I don't know how to feel. Just numb for now.

It's just too much loss lately and I can't stop bawling. Thank god I have a psych appointment tomorrow anyways. My sweet dd though has been so sweet and doing everything she can to "help me feel better".

#13 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

The latest possible date I could have conceived would have been on the 9th of May. Is it even possible that it would be too early for them to see a sack? Wouldn't I be too far along for them to "miss" something?

Guess I'm still hoping a bit. Yes hoping. I really did want this baby I realize now.

#14 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:26 AM

My dr's office test was negative, not even light. They told me I was not pregnant at all. I asked them to do an HCG and they (reluctanlty) did. Turns out my HCG was 65, no wonder I had been getting beautiful digis and solid lines for 2 days! Their urine tests suck.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#15 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 AM

the last day that you could have conceived or the last day that you had sex?

Because you can conceive up to 7 days (though thats rare, up to 5 is more common) after you have sex.

ETA if May 9th was the only possible date for actual conception... you would be 5 1/2 weeks, you could see a sac but not seeing a baby/heartbeat would be normal and if their equipments not good and they arent trained they could possibly not even see a sac, if you could have Oed up to 7 days later, you could possibly not be any further than 4 1/2 weeks along making this all totally feasible.

If your Jan. 29th due date is right, which im guessing you got that from LMP... you would have conceived on May 13th... which would make you just under 5 weeks along... however, unless your cycle was spot on every 28 days and you ovulated on the 14th day without fail... its possible that it wasn't until a day or two later anyway... making you about 4 1/2 weeks.

I would really take a deep breath and relax. As they say, que sera, sera, what will be, will be... and nothing can change that right now. I know its hard to keep that in mind facing a possible miscarriage, Ive been in those shoes, but its true. Stressing will not save a baby that is already gone, but it could cause harm to a mommy with a baby that is still tiny but growing!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#16 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM

That's great news that the home digi's are positive!! You are not having any spotting or bleeding? If not, it sound to me like you are pregnant!! Maybe getting yourself some black haw tea to drink would help you feel better, it is said to prevent miscarriage.
#17 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah the 9th would have been the last time I could have had sex. I don't get periods, so I don't know about my cycles.

I'm very crampy today and my back hurts. My symptoms seem to have all but vanished. No spotting or bleeding of any kind.

I'm considering myself out of the club. If some miracle occurs, that would be fantastic. But I'm not optimistic anymore. I think it's over.

Hope you all have healthy and happy pregnancies.

#18 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Well... if the 9th was the last time you had sex, I wouldnt worry at all. It really is most likely that you are just about 4 1/2 weeks along, which would honestly be too early to see anything on ultrasound... and many places use pee tests that test for 100miu which, myself, did not even get a positive with a 20miu test until 13dpo and at 19dpo would have very likely still been under 100, which would explain why their line was so faint.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Produc...nd_scannin.htm

Quote:
Your ability to identify an early gestational sac will depend on many factors, including the capabilities of the ultrasound equipment, your approach (vaginal or abdominal), your experience, the orientation of the uterus (generally it is easier to see if the uterus is anteflexed or retroflexed), and the presence of such complicating factors as fibroid tumors of the uterus. While a gestational sac is sometimes seen as early as during the 4th week of gestation, it may not be seen until the end of the 5th week, when the serum HCG levels have risen to 1000-1500 mIU.
Not seeing it at 4 1/2 weeks can be totally 100% normal! Really! So do not count yourself out!

#19 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 01:28 PM

You are seeing your doc on the 8th right? Don't count yourself out until then. I would also see if your doctor's office would give you a blood beta today.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#20 of 36 Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well I've been crampy and had a migraine all day. The migraine is a bad sign because I've never had one while pregnant before. I suppose the cramps could be for all sorts of different reasons, especially being my fourth baby.

No spotting or bleeding at all though, so who knows.

Doctors won't do the beta for me. Want me to wait and see. I love medicare. The 8th feels like forever away.

#21 of 36 Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 AM

sorry you are having to deal with it. Migranes can be triggered by stress so (I know this is hard to do) but try not to stress. Im hoping that its all just a big mistake on their part.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#22 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

So sorry to keep updating this daily. Still no spotting or bleeding. I still feel very pregnant.

They seemed so sure at that clinic that I had lost it, but I'm starting to have my doubts. They were nurses, not doctors and not ultrasound techs. Maybe they were wrong?

So for now I keep going on like I'm pregnant. Hopefully I'll get some real answers on the 8th.

#23 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#24 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
So sorry to keep updating this daily. Still no spotting or bleeding. I still feel very pregnant.

They seemed so sure at that clinic that I had lost it, but I'm starting to have my doubts. They were nurses, not doctors and not ultrasound techs. Maybe they were wrong?

So for now I keep going on like I'm pregnant. Hopefully I'll get some real answers on the 8th.

DDCC (again)

YAY! And please keep updating.

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#25 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I started cramping and bleeding a lot a few minutes ago. Glad I've been wearing post partum pads for a few days now.

I'm angry, sad, bitter, and maybe a little relieved all at once. I have no opportunity to get pregnant again anytime soon since my dh left. My daughter is going to be devastated. She was so excited about a baby that we could "get to keep this time".

Hope you all have happy and healthy pregnancies and births. I enjoyed being here for this short time.

#26 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM

I'm terribly sorry for your loss mama. I hope you can heal quickly and find peace.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#27 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm so sorry! Heal quickly and know that there are people out there who wish you the best.

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
#28 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. Many hugs.

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#29 of 36 Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Im so sorry for your loss.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#30 of 36 Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 AM

I'm really sorry. Hope your heart and body heal quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page