Any plans for exercising while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm waiting to tell my gym that I'm pregnant. I want to tell my trainers when i tell everyone else. It's only a week, after all. I'm a CrossFit devotee, and I can't wait to get my CrossFit Moms shirt to wear when I announce. Anyone who wants to join me in a tough workout throughout pregnancy should check out CrossFit Moms:

http://www.crossfitmom.com/

It's not for everyone, but I was really inspired by the success stories of the women who have done it while preggo and had super short labors and low, healthy weight gains. I was doing this before I was pregnant, so I'm pretty sure I can make it through the trimesters exercising. I'll fall back on bellydance and yoga (what I did last pregnancy) if it gets to be too tough. We'll see!

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Crossfit looks amazing!

Since I developed pre-e in a past pregnancy, I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to minimize risk in this one, including being rigid about getting regular exercise. I took a nice, brisk half-hour walk today, and am going to do my yoga before bed. There's a bellydance class that meets in my town, which I hadn't thought of, but will totally start going to! I hope that along with keeping me healthy physically, it will help keep me healthy emotionally - I've had some struggles with anxiety, and don't want any of that messing with baby growin'!

Maybe in the second trimester I can start to be a Crossfit mom, too

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#3 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM

I am very into exercise!

I am a martial arts instructor, and I have pretty much kept with that up until about 8 months with my other pregnancies. I will do the same this time.

I was also training for a half marathon when we found out about the baby, so, while I obviously won't be adding miles, I will try to remain on a running schedule. Last time I was able to run until about 7-8 months. I am going to go for a 3, 4, 3, 5 schedule with rest days between.

On the off days I would usually do arms and abs, which I am not too sure about right now. I was actually going to do a bit of research on lifting and pregnancy right now.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

The CrossFit guidelines for weightlifting while pregnant are to lift no more than 50% of your single rep max, and err on the side of light weight when you don't know. I've seen moms who were pressing 45 lbs overhead in their third trimester, so I think it all depends on what you were doing before.

I won't be doing any sit-ups or other exercises on my back after first trimester, but I'm sure I can find other ab and core exercises at that point.

I'm so excited to see other moms who want to commit to fitness while carrying their babies! The first time around I saw birth as a marathon, and I realize now that I didn't train hard enough. It took a year to get the weight off, and I felt like a slug for the first month after he was born. This time, I'm in better shape to start out (only 14 lbs overweight instead of 40) and I'm going for it!

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
#5 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM

this baby was a total surprise to us. In the last 9 months, I've gone through P90x twice and beachbody Insanity once...I worked harrrrd to get my pre-pre-pre pregnancy body back, and I don't want to lose all that hard work.

So I am definitely in and I think we should have weekly or montly exercise threads!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#6 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM

DDCC - I wish you much luck in keeping it up! It really DOES help... I dont know it from personal experience but from several friends who continued to exercise through pregnancy. While their labors were not any less painful or more easy than mine (granted I think Im blessed with how easy/painless mine have been for an out-of-shape momma), their recovery time was MUCH faster.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM

yeah with my first I didn't exericse: 14 hours

exercised a little (walking, some karate) with second: 16 hours

3rd exercised right up until the end: 4 hours! and I just felt so much better the whole time and in the weeks after. it was amazing difference!

#8 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 AM

I REALLY want to exercise during this pregnancy. I exercised throughout my first pregnancy with no problems. I couldn't during my second. They think that my second was leaning on a nerve in a leg? No sure, but I could barely walk! I am hoping I can be active throughout this pregnancy. You all sound like an inspiration group to hang out with!

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#9 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 AM

I have never been very into exercise, I do crunches and light weights at night and occasionally jog but that's it. I have read that the amount of exercise that is safe and healthy while pregnant is really dependent on the amount of exercise you were doing before you got pregnant so I don't want to do anything strenuous now. I did get a prenatal yoga dvd that I have done a few times and really enjoyed, and now I don't have to feel like a poser while doing it lol.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#10 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 AM

I'm an aerobics instructor, so I always work out during my pregnancies. I stop liking gym work outs when pregnant for some reason. I like to take a lot of walks (outside or on the treadmill). I really love walking on the treadmill while watching movies. I also do a ton of swimming and yoga. Maybe some pregnant exercise videos thrown in...but most annoy the heck out of me.

That was my plan again for this pregnancy. I was actually going to start a thread like this earlier.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#11 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm in! I workout very regularily and do a variety of things (running, gym, pilates/yoga stuff) I worked out on a regular basis w/my DS 1 and while I can't say it helped my labor (posterior baby, almost 32 hours) I did get through the labor fine and w/no tears (9 lb 10 oz baby) and think working out was good for my stamina.

This time I'm hoping for a non posterior baby. I worked out last night for the first time in a week - I'd been so tired and had morning sickness. I'm hoping to workout today as well I feel so much better when I work out!

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#12 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

ooh ooh me!

i gained 85 lbs my first pregnancy. yes you read that right. i really am not excited about repeating that experience. especially being hugely pregnant in the colder months and around the holidays i really need to be diligent about exercising. last time i think i basically sat around and ate. i really didn't exercise at all...i was really worried about it somehow hurting the baby.

so far i have been taking long, brisk walks with my son in the stroller, doing about 2 miles at a time, just around my neighborhood.

i am also going to start going to zumba 3x a week.

one of my good friends just had a baby 3 weeks ago..she exercised 3x a week for her entire pregnancy, gained 23 lbs, and is already back to her pre-pregnancy weight. she's definitely inspired me.

i had a natural labor with my son. i think it would have been easier on me if i had been in better shape because i was really wiped out toward the end. i tried to squat while pushing but it was too hard for me to hold my weight up. so i really want to be stronger and have more endurance for labor this time.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#13 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm a sloth. The most exercise I did my last pregnancy was bounce on my yoga ball while eating pints of Ben and Jerry's.

I really really really need to be more active. I have an almost 2 year and and a 3.5 year old, I'm going to start stalking craigslist for a cheap double (side by side) jogging stroller to go walking on the beach with. Thanks for reminding me. I've gained more than 60 with each pregnancy but thankfully due to nursing on demand i've lost the weight + 10 each time within a year (without dieting, i hate diets).

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#14 of 33 Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM

FM this is the prenatal yoga DVD I have and I love it!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Its very low stress and has great meditations not to mention I love the woman leading it, her voice is soothing and she tells great stories! I really do feel great afterwards.

#15 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 AM

should we do weekly or monthly thread?

Today I did 40 min of P90x shoulders and arms. I didn't try to up my weight, just worked on yeps and maintaining! tomorrow morning I am doing a 5 mile run, that's the longest I will run while preggo I guess since its the longest I would run before I found out.

#16 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM

Im planning on working out as long as I can. My oldest DD I had such bad morning sickness the entire pregnancy that if I stood I threw up, so no working out. I ended up gaining 70 pounds and being totally miserable at the end. My second i was on bedrest from 20-24 weeks but I did do long walks before and after the bedrest. I gained 60 pounds during that pregnancy.
Recently Ive lost over 50 pounds and I DONT want to gain it all back. Im planning on doing some workout videos, long walks/jogs and whatever else I feel like doing at the time.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#17 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love to see a weekly exercise plan. We can all post what we've been doing and support one another. I love this idea!

I just posted this elsewhere, but I did some deadlifts (85 lbs,) assisted pull-ups, and resisted run sprints this morning. I'm not going to tell my gym I'm pregnant until Thursday (when I'll be 5 weeks) and I'm trying to kind of follow the CrossFit Mom guidelines for first trimester. I just failed this morning in her recommendation not to get too winded. Man, I was huffing through those resisted runs! I just am not ready to tell them yet and I couldn't think of any excuse not to participate. I figure, I was doing it before I got pregnant, and at this early stage a lot of women don't even know they're pregnant anyway.

Early fatigue is setting in. Yesterday I got plenty of sleep and a nap, and it was my rest day and I was still falling asleep sitting up. I'm hoping if I just stick it out it'll get better.

BTW, I have a lot of respect for you ladies who are runners. I could barely run two miles before I got pregnant, and now I'll be putting off my 5K goal for quite a while. Or maybe I'll just walk/jog it....

#18 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrau View Post
I'd love to see a weekly exercise plan. We can all post what we've been doing and support one another. I love this idea!

I just posted this elsewhere, but I did some deadlifts (85 lbs,) assisted pull-ups, and resisted run sprints this morning. I'm not going to tell my gym I'm pregnant until Thursday (when I'll be 5 weeks) and I'm trying to kind of follow the CrossFit Mom guidelines for first trimester. I just failed this morning in her recommendation not to get too winded. Man, I was huffing through those resisted runs! I just am not ready to tell them yet and I couldn't think of any excuse not to participate. I figure, I was doing it before I got pregnant, and at this early stage a lot of women don't even know they're pregnant anyway.

Early fatigue is setting in. Yesterday I got plenty of sleep and a nap, and it was my rest day and I was still falling asleep sitting up. I'm hoping if I just stick it out it'll get better.

BTW, I have a lot of respect for you ladies who are runners. I could barely run two miles before I got pregnant, and now I'll be putting off my 5K goal for quite a while. Or maybe I'll just walk/jog it....

Me too! Exactly! I have a 5k goal too but i can't run more than 2 miles either! lol. I am going to start doign prenatal yoga next week!!! There is a studio right near my work and the teacher is the mom of one of my students and the class starts 15 min after i get out of work so it's PERECT

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#19 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
FM this is the prenatal yoga DVD I have and I love it!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Its very low stress and has great meditations not to mention I love the woman leading it, her voice is soothing and she tells great stories! I really do feel great afterwards.
Excellent! I just put it in my cart.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#20 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Last night hubby and I took a 6 mile walk. Wow, some of the hills over here are killers. Its pouring today so Ill probably do some workout video tonight instead of walking.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Sign me up for the group. So far I do quite a bit of walking and some weights at home. I walk my son to school for drop off and pick up. It is a brisk 2 miles twice a day - but, school ends next week! My girlfriend gave me a coupon for a free MONTH at her swanky new gym in town.

So, even though I can usually barely move during my first trimester, the incentive of free babysitting for an hour (saving money and no camps for my 6 and 2 year old sons this summer), TV on the cardio machines (we have no TV at the house), AND heavy duty air conditioning - I'M THERE!

I'd just love some suggestions on what to do when I get there! I sometimes feel like I wander the gyms in a haze of indecision.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#22 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM

I walked a mile and a half yesterday morning but today the air quality was already at level orange by 8:30 am and it seemed like a bad idea Summer is definitely here.

#23 of 33 Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 PM

even here it seems hotter than usual for this time of year. We are trying to sell our house and its really annoying me! (we dont have central air)

ran today-- with some walking when I got tired- 5 miles. not bad for this heat!

#24 of 33 Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Hey all,
Glad to see this thread! I am generally pretty active, I run/jog 4-5 times a week, row one morning a week, usually go to a yoga class 1x/wk, have been working on planting my garden a bunch recently, and generally enjoy all that seasonal outdoor playing like skiing and hiking!

I am currently planning/hoping to continue my regular exercise... I've been more winded the last 2 days, and wonder if it has anything to do with being pregnant or is just because I haven't exercised in a while!

From what I hear, joints are starting to be a little different, so I do want to just pay attention, "listen" to my body while maintaing activity so that my pregnancy, birth, and recovery all go well.

Good job to everyone!
#25 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'll go ahead and post my Workout of the Day. I ran a quarter mile for a warm-up and did some stretches, then did 3 rounds of 200 meter row (on a rowing machine,) 15 sit-ups, 15 squats, 5 burpees, about a 50 foot crabwalk back. It didn't sound like much on the board, but after the first round, I knew I was in trouble. Round three was rough, but I was pretty proud of myself for finishing!

Nutrition wasn't great today. DH and I treat ourselves on Saturdays after our workouts and we go to a great little pizza place for lunch. On the other hand, my portions weren't overblown, I started the meal with a salad, and I had fruit for breakfast. I also had a couple of Godiva chocolates (leftover from my birthday) and a small mocha this morning.

Gotta keep up the motivation to eat right and workout most days of the week for myself and my baby!

#26 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Today I did P90x legs and back...it's a 55 min workout that focuses on those two groups. You do two leg exercises and then a set of pull ups and then back to legs. I felt really good!

Tomorrow is a run day and I'm going for three miles.

I need to head to walmart or target and get one of those belts that allows you to carry a water bottle.

#27 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 AM

I was thinking of this thread last night and after dinner I asked ds and dh if they wanted to go on a long brisk walk with me. So we loaded ds into the jogging stroller and off we went. We were about 35 minutes from home when out of nowhere it started DOWNPOURING and it was getting dark. DH ran as fast as he could with ds in the stroller to get home and i kind of half-jogged in my flip flops getting SOOOOOOO WET! I'm sure I was quite the sight! LOL

When we got home we all laughed about it and snuggled up in warm towels. I hope it's not a foreshadowing of how all my exercise moments will be this pregnancy LOL

#28 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 PM

I started pre-natal Yoga today and LOVED it. I highly recommend it if it is anoption in your area! It left me feeling really good (like i had a great workout) and really peaceful and it's so nice to just have time to concentrate on yourself and the baby. Especially now that this is my second I can imagine there won't be as much time to just sit around and meditate so it was really nice. I bought a a 10 class card and i'm gonna go twice a week!! It's so great

#29 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 PM

There's a yoga studio right next to the karate school I teach at...I might check it out!

DId three miles today but have decided that I will be waking up early to run on all running days from now on until the heat goes away in the fall!

#30 of 33 Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I joined the gym a couple of months ago to help lose a little weight and gain more energy (and help with the getting pregnant!) so I'm hoping to keep it up - even if it's just to go and walk on the treadmill for 20 min or so. I'm really not sure what else is 'okay' to do while pregnant...

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page