DDBC (Due Date Book Club) ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would start this thread to see how much interest there is in starting a February DD Book Club. Also it might be a good place to figure out everyone's literary taste so we can pick a good one.

In the summertime I love to read horror and thrillers, I don't know why, maybe the fantastic lightening storm in Texas. I just got Stephen King's Duma Key but haven't started it yet. I also enjoy sci-fi/fantasy like Neil Gaiman, Piers Anthony, and Douglas Adams and chick-lit like Sophie Kinsella and Hester Browne. I finished a book last night, Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and I seriously cried for almost an hour while reading the last 100 pages. I am not sure my poor heart can take another tear jerker.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Sci Fi/Fantasy fan here as well! I am more the fantasy side of things though. I also like historical fiction and good nonfic books on interesting events in world history. But I read pretty much anything.

last 5 books I read:
-The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
-The Silent Blade (RA Salvatore Drizzt novels)
-As We Forgive; Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda
-Caesar: Life of a Colossus
-Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 PM

I would def. be up for it. I love to read! I love all genre's, and I haven't read anything lately so I need to get back to it!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Sci/Fi Fantasy
Horror
Jane Austen
Historical Fiction
Biographies
Beach/Light/Chick Reading
Best Sellers

What I'm reading right now:
Dresden Files
Something Borrowed
The Zookeeper's Wife

I'm in for a book club!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

Old 06-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Im not a big horror fan, If I want horror I just read the news. I enjoy a lot of light reading and parenting/birth related books. Im always being asked parenting advice and birth/breastfeeding advice (Im known as the weird hippie mom who knows a lot over here so I get a lot of questions from people).
Right now Im reading:
Jane Eyre
Chronicals of Narnia (Im on Lion, with and the wardrobe)
Graced Based parenting

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM

I'm a huge lover of sci fi/fantasy (mostly fantasy) with a recent emphasis on urban fantasy (think vampires in modern times, like the Twilight series.) I've read a lot of horror in the past, most Dean Koontz and Stephen King, but now I'm reading a lot of social issues non-fiction. Recent reads have included:

Quiverfull
The Purity Myth
Your Second Pregnancy: What to Expect This Time
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Favorite series (mostly of the fantasy persuasion):

George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series
Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian Trilogy (King Arthur historical fiction)
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (which has recently gotten too sexual for this wild child...and that's saying something!)
J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels (True Blood)

I'm looking forward to reading Ricki Lake's Your Best Birth and Freakanomics (and its sequel.)

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm a fan of just about anything(my mom is like the book queen! so grew up with a taste for everything). Though my special favorites are always Fantasy!

Due With Baby#1 February 2nd 2011
Missing my 2 Angel Babies
Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM

So, it looks to me like there are 7 of us. What if we each took a month beginning in July and chose a book? If we find we finish faster (which I think we might ) the next mama can choose early. Just an idea...I don't want this to die because I love the idea!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

Old 06-13-2010, 05:26 PM

I just got copies of two Robin McKinley books: Sunshine and Beauty. any interest in making one of these our first title?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM

Sure carriebft, I just checked my library's catalog and there are three copies of Beauty available. I'd be up for that since it'll be easy for me to get my hands on.
How fun!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM

I know Beauty has been highly recommended to me a few times here at mothering and by friends. It is a retelling of Beauty and The Beast...I also think because its shorter and YA fiction, it will probably be a quick read. But it's not "kiddie" I hear, a lot McKinley's YA fiction is not your typical YA stuff.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 AM

heading to the library today to pick up a copy of Beauty

Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
heading to the library today to pick up a copy of Beauty
I'm in. When do we need to be finished with it?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM

What a perfect choice! I am seeing the musical (Beauty and the Beast) on Friday! What fun!

Thanks for picking!
Jenne

02/11/2011   

Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM

I'd love to join the book club. I'm an avid reader anyway, but I seem to be reading a lot more now since I am too tired to do anything else.

Segrau- I love the sookie stackhouse series! Do you also watch the show?

Jenne- I just started the Dresden files and really enjoy it.

Carriebft- I loved Sunshine by McKinley. Her writing style is so descriptive and beautiful. I look forward to reading Beauty.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Hurray! glad so many are into this! Should we start a discussion thread maybe end of July? we could start a new thread announcing the book and give til end of July for reading? then from there a new book each month?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Hurray! glad so many are into this! Should we start a discussion thread maybe end of July? we could start a new thread announcing the book and give til end of July for reading? then from there a new book each month?
sounds good to me!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm out for this book. I have a pile of books to finish and return to friends before I can start a new one...though I can't wait to hear how Beauty is.

pugmomma~ I'm actually reading the last Sookie Stackhouse novel right now. It's starting out good! Oh, and yes, I LOVE True Blood. I have to watch online because we don't have HBO, but I think it's amazing!

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Okay I got it, but I also got some wonderful birth related reading, so I'll be happy to wait until a few more people get in on it before I begin Beauty looks like a fairly quick read.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM

What birth/pregnancy reading did you get?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I join the book club? This sounds like fun!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
What birth/pregnancy reading did you get?
Spiritual Midwifery (the hippie speak in there is just cracking me up!)

Easy Labor I've already skimmed and I'm only reading the sections on aromatherapy and hypnotherapy in full I already read the section on hydrotherapy
Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year
Birth by Tina Cassidy

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM

I am wondering when this total exhaustion will lift so that I can read without falling asleep. I finally read the other books I had checked out at the same time and made it a point not to check out any more until I make it through Beauty.

I say all books in the first tri need to be a little more on the quick read side

Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM

shall we set a date for a chat? or make a discussion thread? I know there are some programs out there for easy chat access and we can post the link and password here.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM

sure, a deadline usually gets me going LOL, with everybody's diffent time zones and schedules maybe we should just have a discussion thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM

I'm reading "Having Faith" by Sandra Steingraber, an ecologist. Very informative, talks about pesticides and environmental toxins.
I also have in my pile a book called Hypnobirthing.

Reading is something I always wish I did more of - but I'm a wimp, can't do scary movies or books!

I'll see if my library has Beauty.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Ooooh, I love this idea! Just saw this thread. Am I too late? I'm a fast reader (read the ENTIRE Twilight series...I know, I know...in 4 days) so I can catch up. Are you guys still reading Beauty?

I think just a thread discussion for the monthly book would be great. Maybe we can do a 2nd thread for just general book chatter?

Here's what I'm reading right now...
"Spiritual Midwifery" - who said the hippie speak was hilarious. Oh, totally. But I'm really, really enjoying it.
"Homebirth in the Hospital" - Excellent! Actually an old resident of "The Farm" who became a doctor and applied the midwifery model in a hospital setting. It's short and a super easy read.
I've got a couple novels from my last library trip that I haven't started yet, but they look interesting...

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitelydebbie View Post
I also have in my pile a book called Hypnobirthing.
I have that one. A little heavy and technical sometimes, but very helpful!

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 AM

Im not reading any pregnancy books right now, Im bad but I never have. I just go with what my body wants at that moment (which probably isn't the best but yea). I could probably get a childbirth book from the library although last time I checked only ones they had were what to expect and something about epidurals making yours the best experience or something like that.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Anyone who wants to join in, can! Random date pulling out of my head here....how about July 28th for the chat? A weeknight better for people or a weekend? July 31 is a sat if that's better.

We can also just make a discussion thread here for people who cannot come to the chat and for further discussion!

User Tag List