**~~Weekly Chit Chat~~** June 20-26 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I need to blow off some steam here.

My mother is already being crazy about my stupid baby shower, oh my god. She asked if I wanted her to throw me one (is that how its typically done? she was very "oh do you want that?" about it after she was the one who brought it up) and I said sure. And then she wanted to know if I want a "classic" one or a "fun" one. My mother has not thrown a party let alone a shower in the last 10+ years but whatever. So I said (and this was probably my mistake) that I really enjoyed Emily's with the really personal games and fun stuff. Then I mentioned it might be nice to have it somewhere closer to my friends then her house, in Corinth (lets be honest, my mother has 14 dogs and 3 cats, her house stinks!) and she got offended and told me I had hurt her feelings and she wanted to decorate, which is when I escalated things with "mother I have never been to a party where you have decorated" and she said "I decorate for Halloween and Christmas (she does not btw, have parties for either of those holidays) and you are hurting my feelings" so yeah I was like " i dont want to fight about this, its stupid, but it is supposed to be my shower and I want my friends to be able to come (and to myself, not be embarrassed about your disgusting house)." so she says "if you do it somewhere else, someone else can throw it for you." I am ALMOST 8 weeks pregnant and my mother is ALREADY sucking. This is the woman who wanted nothing to do with my miserable bridal shower and now she wants total control over my baby shower regardless of what I want. she can suck it! (oh lord I am so cranky).

P.S. I told my mother this morning that I feel awful and am going to try and nap today, so she has called me... let me check my phone.... 5 times in the last hour and a half. Why?

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#62 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
Okay I need to blow off some steam here.

My mother is already being crazy about my stupid baby shower, oh my god. She asked if I wanted her to throw me one (is that how its typically done? she was very "oh do you want that?" about it after she was the one who brought it up) and I said sure. And then she wanted to know if I want a "classic" one or a "fun" one. My mother has not thrown a party let alone a shower in the last 10+ years but whatever. So I said (and this was probably my mistake) that I really enjoyed Emily's with the really personal games and fun stuff. Then I mentioned it might be nice to have it somewhere closer to my friends then her house, in Corinth (lets be honest, my mother has 14 dogs and 3 cats, her house stinks!) and she got offended and told me I had hurt her feelings and she wanted to decorate, which is when I escalated things with "mother I have never been to a party where you have decorated" and she said "I decorate for Halloween and Christmas (she does not btw, have parties for either of those holidays) and you are hurting my feelings" so yeah I was like " i dont want to fight about this, its stupid, but it is supposed to be my shower and I want my friends to be able to come (and to myself, not be embarrassed about your disgusting house)." so she says "if you do it somewhere else, someone else can throw it for you." I am ALMOST 8 weeks pregnant and my mother is ALREADY sucking. This is the woman who wanted nothing to do with my miserable bridal shower and now she wants total control over my baby shower regardless of what I want. she can suck it! (oh lord I am so cranky).

P.S. I told my mother this morning that I feel awful and am going to try and nap today, so she has called me... let me check my phone.... 5 times in the last hour and a half. Why?
traditional etiquette for baby showers is that a close friend/friends of the mom-to-be should be responsible for throwing the shower. A shower is basically asking people to give you gifts and I guess it's tacky for your own family to throw the party for you... so tell your mom "Thanks but no thanks". Problem solved.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#63 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtwinMama View Post
traditional etiquette for baby showers is that a close friend/friends of the mom-to-be should be responsible for throwing the shower. A shower is basically asking people to give you gifts and I guess it's tacky for your own family to throw the party for you... so tell your mom "Thanks but no thanks". Problem solved.
Awesome. Everyone I know's mother threw their shower, sometimes with the help of close friends, but I like your way better

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#64 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 02:12 PM

oooh, nintendork...that does suck...go sleep and don't worry! My guess is that if your good friend/s throws one and your Mom is invited she'll come. Too bad there isn't a book on how to be the mother of someone pregnant!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#65 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Is this your first baby? Maybe your mom's trying to figure out her place. She's probably not out to upset you. This is an adjustment for her, too, be patient with grandma to be.

And let your friends throw the shower for you. You want your mom sitting close to you, sharing the experience with you, not running around being the mom, filling everyone's cups, at the party.

AFM, I'm having a relatively comfortable day. And this is me not worrying about it.

Am I convincing?

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#66 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresa View Post

AFM, I'm having a relatively comfortable day. And this is me not worrying about it.

Am I convincing?

I'm uncomfortable enough for the both of us today

I'm tired, my boobs hurt, my jeans are feeling way to snug against my stomach today, nothing sounds appetizing and I'm hungry.

Okay.. complaining over, I can't wait until I can go home.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#67 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresa View Post

Am I convincing?

You sound like me. Actually, I'm starting to feel some mild nausea in the morning until I force myself to eat. And, right now, I'm popping popcorn because I have to eat something right now and dinner will not be ready for another hour. If I don't eat, well, let's just say .

So, is this "morning sickness"? This is my 3rd pregnancy, but with my other two morning sickness was unmistakeable all-day sickness, nausea, vomitting, couldn't think about food, prepare food, or eat anything but the littlest bits of nothing.

I POAS'd again today. I had one left in the box...just wanted to see the pretty "Pregnant" again on the stick.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#68 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
I POAS'd again today. I had one left in the box...just wanted to see the pretty "Pregnant" again on the stick.
I also peed on my last stick today... it was just too tempting, sitting there in the medicine cabinet all alone (I bought a 3 pack)... I couldn't just leave it there, could I?

It was nice to see that *dark* blue line pop up almost immediately... yep, still pregnant. (as if the sore boobs and queasiness weren't proof enough, lol)

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#69 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Mine was the last of a 3-pack, too, LSUtwinMama! I thought surely I wouldn't be pg this month so I bought the 3-pack so I would have some left for next month. Surprise for us! I guess it really does only take once

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#70 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 PM

lol on the POAS - I've got a FRER that is waiting to be peed on until like 6 or 7 weeks pregnant, I want to try and "break" the test by making the control line way lighter than the test line!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#71 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm done with my HPTs! Yay! haha. they weren't getting any darker so I stopped doing them. but now I feel so horrendous and tired. AND I don't even have to squeeze my nipples anymore to see if they still hurt, because now my whole boobs hurt 24.7. ouch.

I am so tired. will someone please tell me how to use mind control to make my husband put away the 5 loads of laundry that are on my our bed? because apparently using verbal commands isn't working.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#72 of 82 Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

nintendork - I had 2 showers. One at friends thrown my close friends and one at a cousins thrown with my mom. I had nothing to do in the planning at either, but since my family and friends don't live near each other that much it worked out great. Neither was really big and both happened around 30-32 weeks.

I would tell your mom, that it's bad luck to start planning a shower this early and you can discuss it in a few months. If you were having a shower, it wouldn't be until November or December right? That's light years away....

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#73 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM

Funny you brought it up Nintendork, my Mom is visiting this weekend and mentioned that her BFF wants to throw me a shower. I was a little shocked to be discussing that already. She said, "Well, November is closer than you think." I said, "I was thinking early January!" She said, "Oh, New Year's would be fun." I was stunned. But prepared since you had mentioned it earlier! Thanks!

I'm hungry. Really hungry. During the day I can't seem to eat. At night I can't seem to keep anything down and I feel ravenous. Sigh.

Seeing the POAS references I searched for a FRER but only had digitals. WANT TO SEE LINE. So, I peed on my ovulation predictor machine sticks! 2 nice, dark, dark, dark blue lines. Evidently I might O in the next 24 hours! It did make me feel better.

This is all a little trippy for me. My parents were visiting for my first loss at 61 days. They are here now. I will be 61 days on Monday. On Monday I have an ultrasound at the REs (my last there) and they will be with me. I'm *SURE* everything is just fine...I'm not really anxious just a little tripped out at the parrallels.

anyway...Happy WEEKEND!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#74 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 AM

All this talk about baby showers, sigh. I had one for my first that my mom threw. A lot of folks these days seem to have one for each kid. I guess I'm old school because I always felt that it should just be for the first kid. I registered with my last pregnancy anyways. Just because it's fun. Of course nobody bought me anything. I was ok with that though. I've been thinking about throwing a welcoming party for this baby when s/he arrives. Don't have much friends though. Oh nor do I have a house cleaner. Maybe that would be a lot to take on with a new baby and two other kids. We shall see.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#75 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post
All this talk about baby showers, sigh. I had one for my first that my mom threw. A lot of folks these days seem to have one for each kid. I guess I'm old school because I always felt that it should just be for the first kid. I registered with my last pregnancy anyways. Just because it's fun. Of course nobody bought me anything. I was ok with that though. I've been thinking about throwing a welcoming party for this baby when s/he arrives. Don't have much friends though. Oh nor do I have a house cleaner. Maybe that would be a lot to take on with a new baby and two other kids. We shall see.
I only had one shower - well, two because my family & my in-laws don't get along, but just with the first baby.

Nintendork - sounds like something my Smother would do.

I still feel like crap most of the time and I feel nervous when I don't feel like crap. I wish I could just relax. I will feel so much better after my u/s on Thursday. Eating helps so much and it's the last thing I want to do.

Anyone else not seen any changes in their breasts? Mine are off and on sore and my nipples are sore to the touch, but no growth yet. They are in pretty bad shape after nursing 5 children for at least a year. Empty change purses I call em. I wish they'd start filling out a little!

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#76 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoallh View Post
Anyone else not seen any changes in their breasts? Mine are off and on sore and my nipples are sore to the touch, but no growth yet. They are in pretty bad shape after nursing 5 children for at least a year. Empty change purses I call em. I wish they'd start filling out a little!
The only change in my breasts is that the montgomery glands are starting to become slightly more noticeable. Other than that...no soreness, no sore nipples, no growth. I'm still nursing DD, though, so I guess they have no need to adjust and start getting ready to produce milk. I had next to no soreness or growth last time either, but they were super sore for weeks with my first.

I'm still feeling pretty well. I had a few bouts of mild nausea yesterday but nothing like my previous pregnancies. It makes me nervous, but I'm trying to stay calm. I wish my u/s weren't so far off!

#77 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
You sound like me. Actually, I'm starting to feel some mild nausea in the morning until I force myself to eat. And, right now, I'm popping popcorn because I have to eat something right now and dinner will not be ready for another hour. If I don't eat, well, let's just say .

So, is this "morning sickness"? This is my 3rd pregnancy, but with my other two morning sickness was unmistakeable all-day sickness, nausea, vomitting, couldn't think about food, prepare food, or eat anything but the littlest bits of nothing.

When did the morning sickness set in with your other pregnancies? I get really bad morning sickness, but it never sets in until weeks 6 and 7. So I'll have 2-3 weeks of knowing I'm pregnant, but just feeling tired...and then BAM it hits me like a ton of bricks. It hit me this morning at almost 6 weeks, and just last night I was telling my husband I was worried because I felt too good to be pregnant. I guess the baby heard it, and wanted to send me a message :-) My guess is that you're probably early, and it will hit you in a few days or weeks (tops).

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#78 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM

With my other two pregnancies, the m/s has turned on at 5 weeks and turned off at 10 weeks. It's weird, one day I feel fine and the next BLAH...then at the end of it, one day I start the day vomitting, the next day I wake up expecting to vomit and it's just gone, appetite back and everything.

#79 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, my nipples were tender from ovulation until now, but lately the whole boob just hurts. Not as bad as my first pregnancy, but my nipples are freaking killing me. Nursing hurts when he latches or moves or pulls...alot. Thankfully he's only nursing once a day at this point, before bed. when I was prengnat in the winter, he was nursing more and I had to stop the nighttime snacking because it was just too painful.

Every pregnancy I had, I always wonder why I feel semi OK at 4 and 5 weeks. 6 weeks comes and I start feeling crummy. Yesterday and today, I feel HORRIBLE. No vomiting, so I can't complain that much but I'm just SO tired and exhausted and weak and nauseous and just need to lay down all the time... I'm 7w4d today....

Michelle ~

#80 of 82 Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 PM

I found an old expired FRER when I was pulling out my moby wrap. I peed on it anyway. The pregnant line came up fine, but the control line is super light.

Baby showers are often done by moms. It's ok. Only bridal showers are tacky when thrown by family. (Thanks Emily Post)

Speaking of... This is my third baby, but DH's first. And I sold everything after my last because he was supposed to be my last. We're planning on buying everything ourselves. But I was thinking it's kind of unfair not to do something to celebrate this baby too. Any ideas?

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#81 of 82 Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 AM

Hey everyone, I haven't been on much since if I sit up or stand up I throw up 90% of the time. Ive had to station a bucket by the bed because sometimes making it all the way to the bathroom isn't going to happen.
DH is gone right now, he left for training on Tuesday and will be gone for 3-6 weeks... So not only do I get to deal with horrible morning sickness I get to take care of two kids. Love them but they would try a saint. They are wonderful next minute, I turn my back to do something and come back and they have flooded the bedroom or bathroom (they have done it 4 times in the last 3 days, Im officially out of dry towels and blankets because they have been used to mop up messes). THey are lucky they are so darn cute.. Actually, I love them and wouldn't trade them for the world although sometimes I wish they didn't know how to turn on the shower!

As for baby showers, my first baby I had a huge one with all sorts of friends. Probably over 50 people were there, it was a lot of fun. I was a nursery teacher for our church at the time (I taught 18mo-3yos, there was 24-34 of them in my class at any given time) so their parents came along with other church members, work friends, the wives of work friends, old high school friends that couldn't believe I was actually having a kid (ok, when I was in high school I was voted least likely to ever get married and have children, I was well known for my dislike of commitment and children) and a few other random stragglers. No family since they all lived to far away. I had the shower when I was 38 weeks 5 days pregnant, my daughter was born the following Monday. It was a ton of fun but I wouldn't do that again since it was just to much pressure on me that far in my pregnancy, I had false contractions the entire shower since I was so stressed by all the people. With my second the ladies from church (different congregation than before) insisted on throwing me another shower even though I kept saying no. I finally gave in because I was tired of arguing about it. It was pointless because someone decided to make it a "diaper shower" which meant I got about 50 packages of disposable diapers that I don't use (I use cloth) that I ended up having to get rid of. The only good part is it was fun to met with those ladies who were leaving the island shortly after the baby was born.
This child, no way Im having a shower. Ill have a baby welcoming party though. Invite our close personal friends and family to come over for a BBQ and to met the baby a couple weeks after delivery. No gifts, no games, none of that, just a good time with good friends. I do want all my children to be celebrated but I don't want the gifts, trust me no one really gives you what you need they give you what they want to give you. I was probably given over 30 handmade blankets for my first child and almost 100 0-3 month outfits.. trust me no kid needs that much stuff. I guess Im a kill joy with baby items since I find a lot of the stuff useless or against my tastes.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#82 of 82 Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

this week's thread.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post15563177

Michelle ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page