Food Journal Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone up for tracking their nutrition with me? I started out this pregnancy just writing it in a journal but my kids got ahold of it and made mommy cards for me out of all the paper (haha, how could I be upset?)

Anyway...I thought maybe just having a thread here would work. We could share our daily meals and give recipes and ideas to each other

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#2 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM

I've been keeping a food journal since Day 1 of my last period. I'm at risk for gestational diabetes so I'm trying to keep a record of my diet so I can stay on track to manage my blood sugar. I hope it works, most of the women in my family developed it so I'm hoping to dodge that bullet.
#3 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM

I'll definitely be lurking. I am a former vegetarian married to a meat-eater so my diet hasn't been the greatest in the last four or five years. I love to cook vegetarian foods but what I like and what DH likes don't always jive to I tend to follow the path of least resistance and cook what everyone will eat.

So far DH and I have agreed that we both want to eat more fresh foods in terms of vegetables and fruits. I'd like to keep the excess pounds off during pregnancy if I can. I am about 15 lbs over what I was when I got pregnant with my first and it has been tough through two pregnancies and nursing to try to lose that. I know 15 lbs doesn't seem like much but I'm pretty short so it means a couple of pants sizes. It's petty, I know, but I'm worried about how wrinkly and stretchmarked my belly is going to be if I can't keep myself from accumulating more belly fat. I'm hoping to achieve that through excellent nutrition and keeping my unnecessary fats consumption down. I plan to add healthy Omega-3 fats along with a protein smoothie each morning to start me off right.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#4 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 PM

I'd love to do something like that, but I have to warn you all, I'll probably be more of a lurker. I grew up in a mainly vegetable eating family (we eat meat, but a lot of veggies too), and DH is from a meat and potatoes family - he considers potatoes a veggie - so like Andi (btw, hi there! I finally made the connection between DSD and here!) I tend to follow the path of least resistance. However, with the summer and all the farmer's markets, I really want to introduce more veggies into our diets. I love love love spinach salad with tomatoes, feta and balsamic vinegar/oil. Yummy! Actually, I think I could probably survive on salads in the summer - they really hit the spot.

I'm planning on -

1. drinking more water and less drinks with sugar/HFCS (trying to cut out HFCS altogether)

This was a bad habit I got into when we had a well since the water tasted odd - it had high iron/sulfur in it. I plan on drinking water with ice and lemon - hopefully that still tastes ok when the m/s hits.

2. Having a veggie at every meal for DH and a salad for DD and I

DH only eats certain veggies cooked certain ways - like steamed broccoli (yuck - I like it raw) carrots and canned green beans. Actually, I think those are the only veggies he will eat by themselves... Anyway, I will be making a big salad to eat off of during the day for lunch/dinner - since if it's made, I'll eat it. I usually throw in avocado, carrots, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, cukes, anything that is around.

3. Eating less processed foods

This entails cooking from scratch more for me - we got into bad habits while DH was in college eating crap food because it was cheap, and then I got pregnant with DD and had horrible m/s so it just continued. I've started putting this into effect, but I think what is going to help more is to preplan meals so I'm not scrambling at the last minute, you know?

Ok, that's all I've got for now...

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

We are an omnivore house here we have 2 meatless days a week and 1 day where we have fish but the other meals are meatless. The other 4 days a week we spread it out between chicken, pork, beef, and a game meat or something "interesting" (last week we just used lamb for that.) Breakfast and lunch are typically always meatless and we do very rarely eat processed meats.

Meals for today:

breakfast: bagel with butter and OJ
lunch: veggie sandwich on cheddar bread, smoothie made from strawberry, banana, milk and yogurt.
dinner: we made some homemade bread today-- so we are having grilled cheese sandwiches with veggies in them on homemade bread and then a kind of salsa that is like tomato soup but cold and chunky, kwim?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#6 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My diet is so-so right now. Our grocery budget is really tight and I was overdue to hit the store, so the last three days the only veg I've had was some frozen spinach I threw in the mac and cheese (along with tuna). I'm horrible about remembering to thaw some kind of meat to cook in a meal, so we eat a lot of vegetarian (I used to be veg so it's kind of reflex).

So far today (since 1AM) I've had: a bowl of honey nut shredded wheat w/ whole milk, 2 whole wheat tortillas fried in lard and butter w/ cinnamon and sugar (yes, I know, but hey, it used to be a typical snack for me w/ 2 or 3x as many, and white), and a jelly donut. Dinner is seriously NOT going to be primarily carbs, but the chicken will probably still be frozen (that I took out to thaw last night).

I bought yoghurt and fruit at the store, so I'll probably have that for breakfast, and some irish oatmeal for 2nd breakfast (I work from 5-9AM tomorrow). I have no idea what I'm fixing for dinner. Lunch will probably be nachos (cheddar cheese, tomato, onion, salsa, on just enough chip to lift it).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#7 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Hi Rachel! I do the same thing as you, I love keeping a big salad in the fridge because it's simple to put some in a bowl and add nuts, feta, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sometimes if I don't feel like fixing a meal I will also put in some chicken and kalamata olives to round it out. I like eating a light dinner this way with a few pieces of buttered whole wheat toast sprinkled with garlic powder. I sometimes do this on nights where we eat leftovers because then DH can have something else that satisfies him.

So far today I have resisted eating leftover birthday cake and potato chips for breakfast. Instead I ate an apple and some almonds. Planning to eat some more of my big salad and then hopefully we will be grilling burgers tonight if DH feels up to it. If not then we'll be eating leftover broccoli quiche and homefried potatoes.

Andi, wife of Seraphim

#8 of 36 Old 06-20-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm liking this salad in the fridge thing! We are going away next week so I won't be buying anything til we get back, but I will probably stock up on salad materials and do this when we get back.

#9 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 AM

I am going to lurk for ideas... But probably wont have much to say.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#10 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Well, I laid down for a nap at 3:15 PM and told DD to wake me in an hour. She says she tried, but I woke up at a quarter of seven when DH called for a ride home from work.

So DD got pasta with sauce (Default Meal #2 around here), and I just didn't bother eating because I wasn't hungry.

Now it's breakfast time and I'm being a good girl and eating fruit and yogurt, even though those raspberry-filled chocolate-covered donuts are still calling me...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

So I was delighted to learn that monkfish is lower in mercury than I thought because I looovvveee it. FDA says you can have 3-6 meals of this in a month, but I err on the side of caution and wouldn't eat it more than once a month. meals for today:

breakfast: feeling kinda queezy so I just had toast made from homemade bread with butter and some OJ.

Lunch: going to a playdate and packing yogurt with homemade granola and lots of cut up fresh fruit.

Dinner: Monkfish with spanish rice

My husband is from central america, and before we got together I did eat fish, just not a lot. And most of the fish I ate was just from my dad's fishing trips. Now I eat lots of different stuff from haddock to cod to mahi mahi to monkfish and V seems to know a million different ways to prepare it.

I keep my eye on the mercury list and choose farm where necessary. Our local wegman's has a great fish counter! and we also have a great dedicated fish store here as well.

#12 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Meals for today:

breakfast: bagel with butter and OJ
lunch: veggie sandwich on cheddar bread, smoothie made from strawberry, banana, milk and yogurt.
dinner: we made some homemade bread today-- so we are having grilled cheese sandwiches with veggies in them on homemade bread and then a kind of salsa that is like tomato soup but cold and chunky, kwim?
OK, cheddar bread sounds amazing. Do you make it or buy it? If you make it, could I have the recipe, please?

And do you mean gazpacho ?

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#13 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

my husband made it; I will get his recipe when he gets back from work!

yeah the tomato soup/salsa is kinda like a rachael ray "stoup"-- not quite soup and not quite stew. It's not exactly like gazpacho but closer to that than salsa.

#14 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM

So far, ginger ale, and ginger snaps.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#15 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

a friend suggested I go on a juice diet for my first trimester. I am almost 190lbs now and really can't imagine weighing more than my husband who is 6'4" Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I have been really sick to my stomach and food hasn't really helped like it did with my other two pregnancies. Oh I gained 80lbs with my first, lost it all just to gain 50lbs with my second. I lost that all, but now I am plus 8lbs. I really don't want to have to lose a huge amount of weight for a third time.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#16 of 36 Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM

The best thing you can do is mind your portion sizes, eat small frequent meals, and watch your carbs.

Says the chick who ate 2 donuts after she came home from work this morning...

For me the key is to not buy the stuff in the first place.

#17 of 36 Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the cheddar bread recipe Dh uses:

http://www.seriouslygood.kdweeks.com...ese-bread.html

So today I had just some of the kids organic frozen waffles; I'm always amazed at how much closer to "homemade" waffles they taste than Egos or the like.

Not sure on lunch-- not feeling all that hungry at the moment.

For dinner we are doing pork ribs, potatoes and salad.

I am heading to my parents' house tomorrow. My dad is an AWESOME cook but I always end up overeating. I really need to watch myself. They also eat meat with every dinner, which we are not use to here. So I try to stay away from it when we do pasta night there to give myself a break.

#18 of 36 Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I would imagine just really focusing on each meal can help you control weight gain (once you feel well and can eat) and trying to make them healthy and well portioned. Stick to the portion rules for meat, have salad before dinner to fill yourself up a bit (watch dressing calories!). if you make pasta, watch the portion size, order kids or half sizes at restaurants, etc.

#19 of 36 Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 AM

I really like this thread! I've been eating pretty well, lots of fruit, eggs, homemade wheat bread, cheese. I need to get more vegetables and I need to watch my carbs. I put on a lot of wait in my other pregnancies and I want to keep it more moderate this time. It doesn't help that I feel queasy and light-headed if I don't eat every couple of hours. I find it too easy to overeat.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#20 of 36 Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by understars View Post
I've been keeping a food journal since Day 1 of my last period. I'm at risk for gestational diabetes so I'm trying to keep a record of my diet so I can stay on track to manage my blood sugar. I hope it works, most of the women in my family developed it so I'm hoping to dodge that bullet.
This is me too. I've already had 2 pgs w/gd and so want to avoid it w/this one or AT least keep it in check w/diet and exercise!

I noticed a lot of ppl who want to go low carb, I'll share some low carb or no carb recipes and this website is great! I hope to make a few of her things soon.

Here's another cheese biscuit recipe but grain free!

CHEESE BISCUITS
4 eggs
1⁄4 cup butter, melted
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 cup sifted coconut flour
1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Blend together eggs, butter, salt, and onion powder.

Combine coconut flour with baking powder and
whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in
cheese. Drop batter by the spoonful onto greased
cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 C) for 15
minutes. Makes 8 biscuits. For a cheesier biscuit
increase cheese to 3⁄4 cup

I'm really bad at eating breakfast and lunch (w/the kids off school mainly was sandwiches) so I'm looking for some ideas (besides salads) for that. Today I haven't eaten yet. And yesterday was bad since I did have some pasta salad and then ice cream cake! Back to square one.
#21 of 36 Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the recipe!!!

today is gonna be a rough day. The house is pretty empty of food because we leave for our trip to my parents' house tonight. will probably do Chick-fil-a for dinner- at least I can get a salad there.

I'll probably have some oatmeal with yogurt for breakfast in a min and then I have no idea for lunch...maybe pasta with whatever veggies are left in the fridge with a garlic and oil sauce.

#22 of 36 Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM

breakfast - whole wheat waffle with strawberries

lunch - ww spaghetti with tvp and veggies, bowl of cantelope and strawberries

dinner will be fresh seafood which I may or may not eat but for sure I will be having a salad

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#23 of 36 Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have been getting better about eating breakfast these past few days...we are on vacation at my parents house and its cooler here, I feel like that has really helped me feel better. Dinners are huge here, so I am trying to eat less during the day in preparation for the feasts at night. tonight is pork on the grill, peppers, salad, clams casino and tons of other food! then smores around the camp fire

so I've been eating light during the day...small bowl of cereal or oatmeal at breakfast and salads at lunch.

#24 of 36 Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM

breakfast - ww english muffin with earth balance and jam, cantelope

lunch - small bowl of pasta with broccoli and tomatoes, fresh pineapple

dinner - grilled cheese with tomatoes and onions, salad

#25 of 36 Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, back home again and just went grocery shopping. I think I gained 2 lbs on vacation and not pregnancy related!! My goal is to eat crazy healthy for the next 3 days and get back on track weight and nutrition wise.

tomorrow we are having:

breakfast: english muffin and tea
lunch: salad and some tomato soup
dinner: pasta with homemade basil pesto

#26 of 36 Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM

I haven't been eating all that great. I had McDonald's for dinner this week and I never eat McDonald's! It was DH that went to get food, he didn't say where he was going and I was having a really bad day with mood swings and the house was a wreck so I was pissy about cleaning to cook dinner and then DH came home with fast food. It was gross.

I bought some whey protein mix so now each morning I have a smoothie with frozen berries, OJ, ice, flaxseed oil and protein powder. It helps because I don't feel like eating anything when I wake up but sipping a juicy smoothie is okay. I need to find a way to incorporate more healthy snacks in during the day but I feel so nauseous most of the time that thinking of food turns my stomach. It doesn't help either when I feel really hungry but nothing sounds or smells good. And I'm too tired to clean the kitchen so I can fix food. UGH! This first trimester is giving me a run for my money.

Andi, wife of Seraphim

#27 of 36 Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I've been loving smoothies recently as well!

Only been back two days and already I'm feeling good and back down to weight I was when I left for vacation

Today I had toast for breakfast and going for homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese with veggies for lunch. Dinner is going to be pork tenderloin and potatoes...not sure on a veggie yet.

#28 of 36 Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM

I need more ideas for vegetarian/vegan protein. All I can deal with is cheese right now and I really dislike eating too much of it.

Breakfast for the past two days was chia porridge (chia seeds soaked in almond milk and blended with dates and banana, topped with blueberries).

Lunch today was wasa crackers, butter and cheese plus some watermelon. It was all I could keep down.

Right now I am eating a vegetarian sausage, egg and cheese on an english muffin. Obviously I needed the protein!

Dinner will probably be a salad, or fruit, after I get back from the gym.

#29 of 36 Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Oh, this thread is great! I'll probably be a lurker too, but I'll be skimming for meal ideas.

I'm SO not creative.

Like a few of you have already posted, I was raised healthy, healthy, healthy by my home-birthin' homeschoolin' hippie momma. Then I married the my DH who can't eat a meal without meat. And thinks "Chef Boyardee" ravioli is better than the *real* stuff my ITALIAN gramma makes. He's nutso. But if you're raised on processed food, i guess that's what tastes good to you.

So after fighting it for a couple years, I finally gave up and now we keep junk in the house. And I gained 15 pounds. I have no self control. It's a problem.

I'm 25 lbs up from my pre-marriage weight and 15 up from my pre-pregnancy weight with my DD. So I'm *really, really, really* going to try to eat better this time around. (says the girl who had curly fries for lunch)

Inspire me, girls!

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#30 of 36 Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Well, I keep my eye on the prize - losing weight after baby. Comes a lot easier when I already have healthy eating habits in place and gained 30-40lbs of good weight. Plus junk makes me want to vomit right now LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page