What prenatals are you taking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... I am looking for a good prenatal that digests easily. I had a sample of 3 Rainbow Light's prenatals, and I took those in the 2ww, and loved them, but they have red raspberry leaf in them, and with my history of miscarriages, I'm just not comfortable taking them right now. I'm looking for something similar (whole foodish or natural) or something that would be easier on the digestive system that won't be 6 pills a day - I'm hoping for one pill/day I know once the m/s hits, taking pills is really hard for me, but I can choke down 1 at night.

So what are you all taking and do you like them?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#2 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM

If you are looking for something easy on the digestion, I'd go for a liquid vitamin. I haven't taken a liquid multi-vitamin in a long time but I am taking liquid iron called Floradix at the moment to prep for the increased demand in the second semester. I'm also taking omega 3's by Nordic Naturals. They make chewable omega 3's so if taking large pills is a problem they might be a good solution.
I would just stop by a local vitamin or health store and ask about their liquid vitamins. Just make sure you are getting enough folic acid and B vitamins and not too much vitamin C.
Hope that helps a little.
#3 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM

I use Natrol's Prenatal because, back when the FDA released that 'lead in vitamins' study, Natrol's children's tested lead free and their prenatal had the lowest detectable amount of lead. I also like that they seem to dissolve really well and don't upset the stomach and the kids do really well with the liquid. I really trust the company and since they had the lowest and also were one of the only ones with no lead, it really makes me feel comfy on how they get their minerals and vitamins.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 PM

You should try New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. It's whole food based and I just was on the website and it doesn't have red raspberry leaf. It's a great prenatal. I switched to it from the Rainbow Light one w/my first baby. You only have to take 3 once a day so it's not so bad.

They are kind of expensive but you can buy them on Amazon.com for pretty cheap ( and get cheaper as you buy their bigger bottles, they even have a 'trimester' bottle): http://www.amazon.com/New-Chapter-Pe...7079298&sr=8-1

Here's the website link: http://www.newchapter.com/products/perfect-prenatal

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#5 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM

New Chapters are great, too! I have a bottle of those that I use now and then as well. no issues!

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#6 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM

I was taking Rainbow Light ones but my kidneys hurt to the point that I could not lay on my side. My dr. has me taking 2 chewable Flinstones a day.

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#7 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

This one?

http://www.iherb.com/New-Chapter-Org...lets/7881?at=0

It's only 40 bucks here, and my friend has a referral code (HOB764 if you want, I'm sure she will appreciate it!) that will get you 5 bucks off of first order.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#8 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM

I am a big baby....LOL. I am taking a gummy prenatal vitamin. It is by VitaFusion and I got it at Target. I have always had trouble with Prenatal vitamins, but this one works well for me. Loving the taste of them too...yes I am a dork
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#9 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have trouble with prenatals mostly because the iron content backs me up. I figure if it's doing that I'm not absorbing it anyway, so after spending the better part of an hour examining labels, I'm taking a store-brand general multivitamin instead. It's got less iron (but still quite a bit), and just as much folic acid, etc. More of some things.

I take a chocolate chew calcium/D vitamin, too, just for good measure.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#10 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM

In the past I've taken Rainbow Light, but this time I'm taking Vitafusion's gummy prenatals since I find them easier to keep down...in the past I've gotten really bad morning sickness beginning around 6-7 weeks, and swallowing pills while pregnant makes me gag!

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#11 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
My dr. has me taking 2 chewable Flinstones a day.
I take Flintsones, too. But, I just do one of the Flintstone Complete plus an extra 400 mcg of folic acid. I can't tolerate the amount of iron in normal prenatals...not even every other day. The iron stops me up bad.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#12 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM

My midwife suggested taking flintstone and B6 vitamin.

I'm currently taking Woman's one a day prenatal vitamins pack (2 bottles) and I love it.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#13 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM

I buy New Chapter here: http://www.amazon.com/New-Chapter-Pe...f=pd_sim_hpc_2. I like them a lot and they tested very low for lead in that FDA study. It is whole foods based which I like a lot and it has folate instead of folic acid.
#14 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM

I also like the New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, because they are small and don't smell too vitamin-y, so they're easy for me. I haven't noticed much stomach upset with them, but my stomach is upset all day every day right now, so if they were causing any, I wouldn't notice .

I take Floradix as well, when I remember, because it has lots of B vitamins and iron. I also take a separate calc-mag because the New Chapters don't contain calc-mag.

My OB highly recommends fish oil for positive effects in mom and baby - I've noticed some big changes in my mood since starting to take 1.8 g/day of EPA. I'm more stable, less depressed, generally better able to deal with things. It's fantastic! My OB also recommends doing at least 1000 iu/day of vitamin D.

Jeez, that's quite the regimen, when I look at it written out!!

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#15 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I love my prenatal! I take the Super Nutrition Simply One prenatal. I like that it has folate instead of folic acid. I like that I only have to take one and it doesn't upset my stomach at all.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing

I also take Metanx which is a B vitamin/folate supplement. I have so much energy and just a little nausea which is nice.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#16 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM

I took perfect prenatal with my dd, but it caused my blood sugar to drop and made me feel horrible. My MW didn't understand why it would do that, but I took it numerous times and it stopped happening when I stopped taking it.

I'm taking the 6/day rainbow lights now.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#17 of 17 Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm taking Rainbow Light One Prenatal and Nordic Naturals fish oil caps. No complaints about either.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page