Nausea support thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've had lots of good suggests for those of us coping with nausea, but they are all spread out in several different threads. What are your best coping techniques?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#2 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM

It hasn't hit here yet, but I remember when I had horrible m/s in my last pregnancy in Jan/Feb, going outside REALLY helped. Like it almost completely took it away at times.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Good idea for a thread!

So far, gum has been helping me. It's the only thing that takes that awful, metallic taste out of my mouth! I normally don't chew a lot of gum, and I like spearmint when I do, but that's no longer strong enough. I need strong, peppermint gum--and lots of it!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#4 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM

OH THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD.

I am so, so sick - much sicker than I ever was with DS. I hope it means that this pregnancy will go very differently (no pre-e, please!! ), but it's hard to deal with a toddler while feeling constantly queasy. I spend all day wishing I could would throw up, like I would when a nausea wave hit with DS! It's so much worse after I eat, which results in some pretty serious food aversion, and my list of approved foods is getting lower and lower.

I've been nibbling on juicy fruits - grapes have been best. I'm going to get some papaya enzyme as soon as I can, which is supposed to help. A friend swears by ginger ale, but I can't find any that doesn't contain sodium benzoate .

I feel so silly, because for the past two years I have been so MAD when anyone complained to me about pregnancy symptoms (I'd always think, "I got pre-eclampsia and we both could have died, don't complain about your healthy pregnancy to me!"), but, man, this is awful. They were totally within their rights to complain !

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#5 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM

I can't belive that the nausea is already kicking in. I feel completely silly for feeling sick and exhausted already when the baby is (as DH put it) the size of a skittle.

ComplexOphelia - I didn't know papaya enzyme was supposed to help, do you know how much you're supposed to take? I think I have some in the cupboard at home.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Anyone have any foods or diet plans that eliminate the nauseau to begin with?
Like I'd rather treat the MS than the symptoms....KWIM?

I'm trying to not eat sugar or sugary juices, and graze often and I eat protien in the morning which makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER...

really cold drinks with ice make me feel better too. like lemonade or ice water with lemons.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've also been trying Vitamin B6, eating regularly (even when I don't want to) and ginger. But I can't seem to find any ginger.

I'm also experimenting with homeopathics - Nux Vomica and Ipecacua.

Ooh, sour candies too!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

#8 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I've also been trying Vitamin B6, eating regularly (even when I don't want to) and ginger. But I can't seem to find any ginger.
These do have sugar, but they are sooo good and really helped with my nausea: Trader Joe's Tripple Ginger Snaps.
#9 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sound yummy, but I'm in Canada. No TJ's.

#10 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM

As long as I eat at least every 2 hours I do ok most days. At night I keep Special K strawberry cereal bars by the bed and eat one when I wake up in the middle of the night otherwise I feel very nauseaus by morning. I also have a bunch of lemon drop candies to suck on when even eating isn't helping, those really help, I just can't have too many or my mouth hurts lol. DS#2 always brings them to me when I say my tummy doesn't feel good, he's so sweet. Also, avoiding foods that make me gassy, like soda and garlic, helps.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#11 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Well I have been eating whatever sounds good and that seems to be helping, that and ginger anything. I think the checkout girl at the grocery store just now thought I was high. I bought all natural gingerbeer, two kinds of pringles, cheddar sour cream potato chips, ranch pretzels, garlic triscuits, saltines, vanilla pudding and 12 cans of cream based chunky soup. Also green bean casserole sounds amazing.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#12 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
Well I have been eating whatever sounds good and that seems to be helping, that and ginger anything. I think the checkout girl at the grocery store just now thought I was high. I bought all natural gingerbeer, two kinds of pringles, cheddar sour cream potato chips, ranch pretzels, garlic triscuits, saltines, vanilla pudding and 12 cans of cream based chunky soup. Also green bean casserole sounds amazing.

I just gagged a bit on that post....

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#13 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM

lol, not very good nausea support.

#14 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
deep breathing and sleeping a lot. I'm ready for the second trimester!!! Too sick =(

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#15 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Kailey's mom, me too! I totally forgot about all this misery. I think my memory skips straight to the second trimester!

#16 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Eating often and things that are easy to digest is helping a little. I am managing getting food down. Smells are really getting to me though. I am having the most trouble with drinking. I need to get some gingerale, I know drinking would help alot.
I'm just worried because I know it's going to get worse before it will get any better.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#17 of 97 Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

I went and got a b-complex (all the b-vitamins and close cousins and best friends of b-vitamins that help absorption) pill at the co-op, I take a half a tablet in addition to my daily multivitamin, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with nausea and my energy level.

When I have a sour stomach and I know I need to eat, I take half a capful of apple cider vinegar in a little bit of water and slam it down. Fixes my heartburn in less than a minute. When I was pg with my last baby, 4 weeks into morning sickness, I discovered the magic potion that I began my day with: a glass of water with a tablespoon of raw honey stirred in and 1/2-1capful of ACV. Tasted remotely like lemonade. Ish. Big ish, depending on how messed up your GI tract is.

Eating apples, at least one a day, helps with nausea for me, but only in cooler weather. Which is weird. Maybe because they're in season then? Applesauce helps a little now, in fresh apples' places.

I pop papaya enzyme all the time. Doesn't help with nausea, but helps with indigestion after eating, especially greasy or high fat foods that I crave but regret eating as soon as they're down. I take 2 tablets, I think the bottle says 2-3. I have ones that have mint in them, too, which helps (belches come up more fragrant, tmi?)

I read about taking 2T raw honey before going to bed at night to help your liver recover and stay stable while you sleep, going with the theory that morning sickness occurs because your blood sugar drops overnight and your body builds up toxins while you sleep. I haven't tried that, but since we're listing things we've heard that help....

I am the nausea fighting queen. CanNOT do that again. Prevent with Bvitamins!!

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#18 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM

Haven't read the replies yet but i found a miracle product!! It was recommended to me by a friend who had really bad nausea with both her two kids.

It is http://vitanetonline.com/description...e-Baby-Me-Now/

they sell it at my local co op. Within FIVE minutes of taking it I feel TOTALLY better! It contains B6 vitamin, red rasp leaf, artichoke, and a few other things, i forget...but it's all natural and it's a vegetarian friendly option as well.

YOU HAVE to try it if you are at all nauseous. It's amazing!!!!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#19 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Wow..that sounds promising, Holly. How often do you take them? How long does one bottle last you? I am willing to try it for sure!!

Wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 6 beautiful children. Also to one sweet angel, who we will always keep in our hearts 10/2012

#20 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikaaaso View Post
Wow..that sounds promising, Holly. How often do you take them? How long does one bottle last you? I am willing to try it for sure!!
It says to take them as needed but not excede two per day. When I had bad M/S a few days ago, after i took one I was fine until like 8pm so then i took another one!

I so recommend it!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#21 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Ok..I ordered a bottle. I am still really early, so my nausea hasn't been too bad yet..but when it hits I will let you know how it works for me too!!

Wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 6 beautiful children. Also to one sweet angel, who we will always keep in our hearts 10/2012

#22 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 PM

So how much worse is it going to get? I am 7 weeks now, does it peak and then decline or what?

#23 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Nintendork - for me, it peaked around 10 weeks - the placenta starts taking over at week 10 or 11 so it started getting better and was all the way gone when I finished being sick with influenza type A (the bad one, whatever one that is) at week 14/15. This was with DD.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#24 of 97 Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
So how much worse is it going to get? I am 7 weeks now, does it peak and then decline or what?
It depends on the person and pregnancy, but with #2, I was so lucky...I was deathly ill between 7-8 weeks (and actually puked which is UNLIKE me totally). Then I woke up and felt awesome, and it never came back...of course had to have an urgent u/s because I was freaking out and everything was perfect....I think with #1, 8 weeks was the worst...by 12 I was back to normal....

Michelle ~

#25 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Lemonade cut with sparkling water. Protein. Avoiding nasty smells.
#26 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM

I have to share my amazing discovery.

For the last two days I have eaten a nectarine and all of my troubles have disappeared. I am going to the store in a little bit to get more. Hope that helps!

#27 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Uuuuuuughhhhh...I feel crappyyy....

These are only band-aids. Just to keep you from puking, just to be able to eat and keep it down.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#28 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresa View Post

These are only band-aids. Just to keep you from puking, just to be able to eat and keep it down.

same here

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#29 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresa View Post

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#30 of 97 Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM

I am finding I feel better make sure I take my prenatal every day and also adding b6.

I'm finding it's making a big difference over the crappiness I've felt previously when I would get really bad about taking my vitamins...

Michelle ~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page