Mothering Forum banner

Dentist Question?

524 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Momma Moo Martin 
#1 ·
Hi ladies,
So I went to the dentist last night for a cleaning and check up. I read that you should stay up on dental care while pregnant so I made an appointment. I usually go every 6 months and rarely have any problems. Well, yesterday the doctor found two cavities! They are both pretty small and he thinks he can fill them without any pain meds. He said that they may get worst if I let them sit. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I have him fix them or wait until after Feb?

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I might post this in the pregnancy forum, as you'll get more responses - but I think the consensus is a big fat NO to mercury fillings while pregnant and obviously no xrays. The white fillings should be OK.

I think since novocaine is a local anes, I might not worry about that (I have had lots of fillings replaced and all that and would never be brave enough to go without novacaine personally...LOL)

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pugmomma View Post
Hi ladies,
So I went to the dentist last night for a cleaning and check up. I read that you should stay up on dental care while pregnant so I made an appointment. I usually go every 6 months and rarely have any problems. Well, yesterday the doctor found two cavities! They are both pretty small and he thinks he can fill them without any pain meds. He said that they may get worst if I let them sit. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I have him fix them or wait until after Feb?

Thanks for your help!
Does your dentist know you're pregnant? The dentist I went to during my last pregnancy (just wanted a cleaning) wouldn't touch me because I was pg. It was kind of annoying because I didn't want x-rays or anything, but they made me sign all kinds of waivers, they called my mw and in the end, just did a very cursory cleaning. I had a cavity, but he said it would have to wait.

#4 ·
I would definitely get them filled. I've also had a few cavities filled without novocaine and I actually prefer to get them filled that way. (I don't like having a numb mouth all day.) They never hurt, just sometimes felt a bit cold while they were doing it. Don't feel bad if you need to novocaine too. Good luck!

#5 ·
I've had to get fillings done during all of my pregnancies. I have bad teeth and always have cavities at every 6 month checkup. I have at least 5-6 right now I need to make an appointment to get fixed. I have had novacaine, and they always do the white fillings. Also my dentist does digital xrays, which emit less radiation, and if I'm pg they double cover me with the lead apron for the xrays.

#6 ·
I had some dental work done during my last pregnancy...I was well into my second tri though. I'd worry about being exposed to stuff in the air and in the office, too, even if it's not your work directly, messing around too much in there so early in your pg.

I had a cavity filled, I had local anesthesia, and I agree, the worst part was the numbness afterward, because I couldn't eat anything I had to chew for something like 6 hours afterward. And when you're pregnant at the stage of pregnancy when you're building weight in the babe? Suck!

#9 ·
I'm glad you asked about dental work, pugmomma. I have a couple cavities too - not to mention that my wisdom teeth decided now would be a good time to poke through my gums!
I figure I'll wait until the second trimester to get the cavities filled but I'm still not sure how to handle the wisdom teeth. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about that.

#10 ·
I had a wisdom tooth pulled out yesterday, I was in so much pain! I haven't felt so much pain in my life - besides childbirth of course - at one point I thought I was going to pass out! anyway, I went in to see the dentist he decided there's nothing else he can do but have it extracted. and extracted it was! I feel so much better now but on the same note I was and still am worried about the anesthesia and the effect it ould have on my pregnancy, this is the first time I had ever had my wisdom tooth pulled out and certainly my first dental visit whilst pregnant. The dentist assured me that this will not harm the pregnancy or the baby in any way, so i took his word for it! hope i did the right thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.