**WEEKLY CHAT**July11th - July 17th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lyterae - I do feel better today, the cramping went away after i went to bed last night - of course the platter of nachos I ate for dinner didn't really make me feel much better. Oppsie. Sorry about your back. My tailbone has been acting up lately...on top of my disc problem. I am often hunched....sad sight.

MrsMusic - Good luck on the job, hope you guys get it!

Nintendork - Hope your dog is OK.

Lea - I am already all set with diapers...LOL...I have newborns and smalls already. And my son has a bunch of OS and larges so I think it's safe to say, I really don't need any more diapers (ever again). Of course, I get tempted by wool from time to time. The only thing I need to buy for this baby is a new diaper changing table pad and some undershirt/lap tees since the ones we used through both boys are kind of ratty at this point. That's it. Nothing. we are buying the boys bunk beds this fall...

We're questioning whether this baby needs a nursery. I have a big bedroom, which also has my small home office in it since I work from home. There are 2 other bedrooms in our house, which are kind of small. The boys share the smallest one and use the other one as a playroom. Thinking of maybe using the tiny one as the nursery, because the baby sleeping in my room for naps might be tricky with the boys always here playing. Of course, my second son would only nap in the travel swing, on the bathroom floor, with the shower running....

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

We're questioning whether this baby needs a nursery. I have a big bedroom, which also has my small home office in it since I work from home. There are 2 other bedrooms in our house, which are kind of small. The boys share the smallest one and use the other one as a playroom. Thinking of maybe using the tiny one as the nursery, because the baby sleeping in my room for naps might be tricky with the boys always here playing. Of course, my second son would only nap in the travel swing, on the bathroom floor, with the shower running....
Our "spare" bedroom is currently our computer room, it gets to cold in the winters to use our unfinished basement for the computers (to expensive to heat). The current plan for the nursery is to have baby room in with us. We'll be taking off the doors to the large closet in the bedroom and cleaning it out to set it up as the nursery area.

Becca has already been talking about where the baby will sleep and would like me to just put the baby in her bed...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
Becca has already been talking about where the baby will sleep and would like me to just put the baby in her bed...
That is adorable.

I can't wait to plan our nursery, my husband and I are design freaks and he is also an artist so we definitely want to make it unique and special. We have two spare bedrooms, one is an art room and the other is a guest room. I figure I can do without guests but the arts and crafts must stay so we sold the bed in the guest room to make room for baby! For our best friends my husband painted a mural for their nursery and he is planning to do the same for ours, we just have to decide on a theme. Here are pics of his working on our friends mural http://picasaweb.google.com/Emily.Quattrochi/Nursery# not bad for his first ever attempt at wall sized art lol.

Oh and my dog is okay! Turns out she is just a bad dog lol. The vet think it may actually be related to my pregnancy, so we need to work on taking her out more, walking her more and, sadly, crating her more until she gets the hint that my husband is not a toilet.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Dh will be gone for the 1st 9 months or so I will have plenty of room to keep the baby with me, plus I have no where else really to put the baby. Maybe in DS room but he can climb in a crib and I nurse at night so I can sleep. All the other rooms have at lest 2 kids per room and some really are to the point it is 2 beds, 1 small dresser and 1 night stand no room for anything else.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM

nintendork-- I am so JEALOUS! that nursery is tdf... ours is yellow.plain. yellow, so if you and your husband feel like a road trip to wisconsin, let me know!

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM

That nursery and your husbands work are both fantastic!!! For sure jealous!

This will be the first time we don't have a room to plan. The babe will be with us in the bed and then I guess in a crib when my sewing table is. No idea where the table will go. Glad to see we are not the only ones *making it work*! We'll see if we win the lottery and can afford adding onto the house.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 PM

I just laughed at my SIL. We say she has foot in mouth disease, shes always putting her foot in her mouth. Shes young (just turned 21) and hasn't learned to think before she speaks.
As for names, we already picked them out. Annabella Lynn for a girl and Thomas B--- (my husband's grandfather's last name) for a boy. The boy's name is one that my husband has wanted to name his first born since he was a teen. Hes really close to his grandfather and his grandfather has terminal cancer so my husband would love to be able to name a child after him before he passes. I know it would mean a lot to him as well, when we told him what we had planned he broke down crying and told him hes never been so honored even if we never have a boy to name after him.

As for nurserys, I had one with my first and never used it. Other than a glorfied laundry room it never got used. My second we didn't have one and didn't miss it so this one won't have one either. She/he will share a closet with his/her sisters and sleep with us. We are thinking of getting a co-sleeper to put beside our bed but thats about it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 AM

Just checking in. I have my first app't with my mw tomorrow. She delivered my DS2 and it will be nice to reconnect with her. I will be 11w2 days tomorrow (I think- not so good at keeping track). I'm hoping we can hear the heartbeat through the doppler.

Girls, I'm looking for a pity party. My morning sickness is getting worse! It has been even worse than before since July 4th weekend. I thought I would soon be moving gracefully on into my second trimester. I'm gagging more, nauseaus constantly, hungry all the time and absolutely nothing sounds remotely appealing. Couple that with the exhaustion and I'm simply not a treat to hang around!

Second trimester can't get here soon enough!

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Debra- so sorry to hear you are feeling badly. Hopefully you start to feel better soon.. only a few more weeks for us all to be headed into the second trimester (wow, really???) so hopefully that will find us all feeling hungry, energized and useful

Count me in the group that will be "making it work" as far as living arrangements. DH and I have a fairly large bedroom, I can fit a crib in here if needed (it wasn't last time, dd slept only with us til she was 1 then started sleeping sometimes on a twin mattress in her own room. With me. ) We have 2 tiny bedrooms, one for ds & one for dd, ds' was an addition on to the back of the house so you have to walk through dd's room to get to his.

So this babe will definitely be sleeping with us for some time.. when we need more space in bed I figure I will either put ds & dd in ds' room in bunk beds (an idea they are crazy about, btw!) and put baby in the other room, or depending on if it's a boy or girl and how old it is when I switch things up, get bunk beds for the baby and older sibling of same gender. Of course, I still have to wait and see if there are twins in here, that will influence things... DH will be moving to the basement!

Anyway, it's probably at least a year away that any rearranging will be done, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! I just have to find a place to put baby clothes and diapers. I'm gonna go with baskets on the floor.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM
mcs

Thanks LeaAline!
We moved here with just the 6 suitcases we were allowed on the plane, thinking of course, that as soon as we bought a house, we would have everything shipped over. but, we haven't found a house yet. we'll be visiting my family in august and i will sort through baby things i have stored at their house. i am excited to see all of the baby stuff, but also wish that we could know the sex earlier. i have two girls, but plenty of their baby stuff could be used for a boy. i am also hoping that i saved my maternity clothes- i can't remember. once i got into the mood of getting rid of things, i went maybe a little overboard. i gave away all of our cloth diapers (we used them with the first, but it didn't work out with the second) and i am really regretting that now..

a "nursery" is also dependent on getting a house. both girls slept with us, but i did like to have a little space for the baby. right now, we have a beautiful little apartment in an old school building. it is all very ideal, but much too small to add a baby to. so, what was a very slow thoughtful search for a house, has been ramped up. the thought of moving with a giant belly is not so appealing though.

nintendork- the nursery your husband painted is georgeous. so much for the new baby to look at! my husband can also paint really well- which is another thought that goes along with buying a house....

debra- i thought that i would check in on the "morning sickness" thread, but i haven't had time. i am also still feeling sick, but much-much better than last week since i started to take the homeopathic remedy "sepia." i don't know if it would have the same name in english, but i know it is made from squid. i am still feeling sick, but not throwing up and while the smell of many/most foods still smell bad, they do not make me gag (i am still not really cooking though.) i am also going to try acupuncture next week. i really want to feel better for our trip to america!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Im renaming morning sickness, Im calling it all day sickness because it definetly isn't just during the morning. I feel horrible pretty much all day and when I don't feel bad Im so exhausted I don't want to do anything. Im praying the second trimester gives me an energy boost. With so much to do I really need it.

mcs- Im not really looking forward to moving while pregnant either. We are looking at moving sometime in November but we have no idea where they will be sending us. Somewhere state-side we know but it could be either Hawaii, California or North/South Carolina. There are a few bases here and there but the main ones are in those states. DH is thinking about requesting California since we were there before coming to Okinawa and we know we have a good support system there. It would be nice to go back and I know that I have people I can trust there to watch the girls when I go into labor. Ive delievered at the base hospital and other than a couple things I had a very supportive crew and a nice birth. Overall it was a positive experience and I would feel comfortable delievering there again since I doubt Ill find a midwife on top of everything else we have to do (Im just praying we get base housing because I dont' want to go apartment hunting and then have to wait for our TMO even longer than we would otherwise). I am grateful that the military will be paying someone to do all the moving, packing and unpacking for us so all I have to do is put things away on the other side. Lets pray nothing breaks..

Ok, Id like some opinions on something related to that. DH and I have been disagreeing on whether to start getting baby stuff before the move or wait until after we move. If we move in middle of November like his command is telling us we will then TMO (the movers) takes 3-4 weeks minimum, 6-8 weeks max to get our first shipment to us and twice that time to get our second shipment to us. To me that means we won't get the stuff until middle of Jan since we will be coming onto holiday season. I think thats cutting it to close and we should just put money aside and not get anything until we get back to the states. DH thinks we should start getting some of the stuff now so we don't have to rush and get things we dont' necessarily like when we get back. Im thinking we will have a better selection (here is really limited, you have a choice between 3 carseats basically which is the big purchase we have to make) and we will know what vehicle and anything else we will need when we get back. What do you all think?

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Hey all, I'm terrible at keeping up with these threads, but I read them all, I swear.

Still feeling SO much better - my house is much cleaner this week!

Okimom, I think you should move as soon as possible. I moved when DS was 3 weeks old, and would never recommend moving/unpacking at all in that time frame. Can you internet order stuff and have it shipped to your parents house or something? That would give you time to buy. (Also, you can't buy a car seat in Japan and use it in the US. It isn't certified correctly and could invalidate insurance payouts in a big accident.)

Nintendork, that is a BEAUTIFUL nursery. We'll be putting baby2 in with DS. I need to re-arrange the room. It's large but awkward (it was two smaller rooms) and has a lot of clutter we need to get rid of. I'm really feeling like we need a crib this time. We never had one at all for DS so it's very strange that I'm feeling this way. Almost like baby2 is letting me know that it's going to be a crib sleeper.

We also need a new change table - DS's was very much second hand and had pretty much disintegrated by the time we were done with it.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM

*TMI*
I've been having brownish discharge when I wipe since we DTD Wednesday (I think) night this morning when I woke up there was some on my panties... none of it is bright red so I'm telling myself its just from a fragile cervix... when should I get worried?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Hey all, I'm terrible at keeping up with these threads, but I read them all, I swear.
Ditto

LeaAline, I've had brown spotting with all of my pregnancies. It's never been any problem, but if it is worrying you, I'm sure your HCP would not mind a phone call at all!

As for me, I feel like I do nothing but complain lately, but here goes another: my clothes do not fit! And it's not the problem you'd think. I've lost 10 pounds so they are all falling off me. I can't wear my shorts. The only thing I can wear are my jeans and one pair of capris DH suggested I go shopping but I think it would not make financial sense to go out and buy smaller clothes when I'm sure to gain my weight back soon. I just feel blah. My boobs are non existent and I feel like I look unhealthily skinny Where's that glow? I love when my belly gets big and round.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 AM

So while out getting veggies down the road at the Amish stand I finally just got over my nerve and asked her if she knew of a home-birthing midwife There are a lot of Amish so I can't image there isn't someone they work with, even another Amish that would be willing to talk to me.
She hasn't had any kids since moving here(NY from OH) but knows a few of the ladies have had a midwife at home that isn't to far away. So this week she will get contact on them and then next weekend I will get the info from here. I go weekly for eggs and veggies that either aren't ready in my garden or I killed.
I am so excited!!

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Michelle that's awesome

Sorry to those feeling so sick and overwhelmed. I'm over my horrible cold finally, but I still am not functioning at 100% energy wise. I am ready to get my house back in shape, so I am READY for the second trimester.

I am really wondering how anyone could still be keeping this pregnancy under wraps. Okay I remember taking forever to show on my first but wowsas this is nuts. I feel very obviously pregnant to a perfect stranger and I'm not even 9 weeks yet I slipped into an old pair of maternity pants today and OMGoodness what comfort!

My family and I went urban foraging today. Along the riverbank we picked elderberries and elderberry blossoms. I'm enjoying an elderberry blossom tea right now and I've prepped the berries to make syrup in the morning for pancakes. And then of course we went swimming in the wonderful spring fed river

I haven't felt much like cooking and cleaning so we used a gift certificate to a local restaurant and then went out for homemade ice cream afterward. It was really a treat of a day. Then we all came home and took a nap (all but our five year old... she just wiggled and wiggled in bed, how does that girl grow?).

My hubby is making cookies now so I'm going enjoy one or two with a small glass of raw milk and then get some sleep so that I can get started on my bread early tomorrow. I've begun baking two days a week now (both Wednesdays and Sundays) because I'm bartering some bread to another local fermenter. My ferments need some loving, but I've prepped my ferment cabinet for a good summer clean.

I sure hope you mamas are loving your weekend nearly as much as I am so far

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Ok, Id like some opinions on something related to that. DH and I have been disagreeing on whether to start getting baby stuff before the move or wait until after we move. If we move in middle of November like his command is telling us we will then TMO (the movers) takes 3-4 weeks minimum, 6-8 weeks max to get our first shipment to us and twice that time to get our second shipment to us. To me that means we won't get the stuff until middle of Jan since we will be coming onto holiday season. I think thats cutting it to close and we should just put money aside and not get anything until we get back to the states. DH thinks we should start getting some of the stuff now so we don't have to rush and get things we dont' necessarily like when we get back. Im thinking we will have a better selection (here is really limited, you have a choice between 3 carseats basically which is the big purchase we have to make) and we will know what vehicle and anything else we will need when we get back. What do you all think?
If I put myself in your shoes and try to see it from both sides I have to say, your way makes more sense to me than your DH. There are so many great places to shop for baby stuff out there, I just don't think you will end up being forced to buy something you don't want and you are right, mid January is cutting it pretty close, especially if you are going to want to nest. Just my opinion, I am sure the two of you will work it out.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 AM

sorry Okimom, I missed that part of your post earlier. I'd probably to a combo of both. The stuff that you are really, really going to want or need for baby (car seat, maybe crib- this is of course different for every family) save until you are back in the states. But things that you would like to have that wouldn't be a disaster if there was a mega oops in the shipping (you just never know) you can start getting now. That's at least the way I would categorize it.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Alright, I'm just going to think positive today and if my spotting/flow is still going tomorrow, I'll call my Dr. Maybe I can get in for an US, they are in on Mon.s I would feel more reassured with a Heartbeat... :sigh

Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

LeaAline, I am sorry about this additional stress, big hug to you mama, and keep us posted.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Fingers crossed for good news LeaAline.

I think I'm sick. For real, not just pregnant. Feel like crap, have it coming out both ends, and slept for 12 hours last night and am still tired. I could really use a break from all this crap.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM

twinklefae that sux I had a stomach bug the 2nd week after I had my BFP I thought, "oh no, this is what this pg is going to be like?" It went away after about 48 hrs and DH and DS both had it.... not pregnancy.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM

so sorry Sarah I know oh too well what that feels like. I hope it passes quite quickly.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 PM

I decided to go to planned parenthood this thursday...the 22nd
to figure out WHY I still am having all these symptoms and/or start the fun copper IUD stuff. Pregnancy tests and getting an IUD go hand and hand thankfully.
Apparently I get to fill out paperwork...lots of it.
yay?

Odd to have pregnancy symptoms including that stretchy, pulley cramp....stuff.
Sooooo sleepy

It is nap time right?

and go planned parenthood for doing cheap IUDs on ladies who have never had a baby! I give them kudos for that. NO ONE in my insurance that I can get to on my own does it! Nor will they give me a blood test. :

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu

User Tag List