RH negative blood type - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a letter from my doctor that I have an RH negative blood type and will need to receive injections of Rhogam. Anyone else in this situation? I am sure it is fine I just seem to find out something 'off' every time I have an appt.- retroverted uterus, RH negative,... hopefully that will be the extent of the issues.

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#2 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM

DDCC- retroverted uterus isnt a problem in any way at all... and the RH- is only a problem if certain situations arise AND babys daddy has a different blood type from you. Has he been tested? If hes also negative you dont actually have to worry about it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 PM

I had the same thing. When you're RH negative (which is pretty rare) and your foetus happens to be RH positive (which is very common), your body will create antibodies, as it will recognize the RH positive baby as an intruder, kind of like a virus. There's no harm to the current baby you're carrying, but if you get pregnant in the future and the baby is RH positive, those antibodies can attack the foetus.

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh_disease

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#4 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM

My mom was in the same situation and she said it wasn't an issue until after her baby was born because they needed to give her the shot within a certain amount of time after the birth.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#5 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
My mom was in the same situation and she said it wasn't an issue until after her baby was born because they needed to give her the shot within a certain amount of time after the birth.
I think nowadays they give it twice. Once around 20 weeks (so if something happens like a car accident or something and somehow your blood were to mix with the baby's it will protect you) and then once within 48 hours of birth.

I had to get it last time and will probably have to again since my DH is + and i'm -

to the person who said it was rare...really? I assumed about half of people are pos and half are neg. My blood type is B-

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#6 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I think nowadays they give it twice.
Yup--I got 2 shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
to the person who said it was rare...really? I assumed about half of people are pos and half are neg. My blood type is B-
Nope--pretty rare, actually. That's why blood drives are always looking for people with negative blood types. I'm A- and they call me constantly!

Anywho, take a look at the chart here for percentages of blood types per country for a better idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#7 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tway View Post
Yup--I got 2 shots.

Nope--pretty rare, actually. That's why blood drives are always looking for people with negative blood types. I'm A- and they call me constantly!

Anywho, take a look at the chart here for percentages of blood types per country for a better idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type
WHOA I AM rare! lol only 1.5% of the u.s. has my blood type! Guess i should start donating haha

#8 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I found out that 15% of the population is -, not sure I would call it rare but definitely not 50% either. I am scheduled to get a shot at 28 weeks, the same time I get my diabetes test. Thanks for the responses. I am sure all will be well it is just freaky to think my body could see the baby as an infection and try to fight it off. Eee! I have had 1-3 swollen lymph nodes my entire pregnancy, I wonder if there is any correlation?

On another note, I wish I could donate blood. They can never get a vein in my arm and have to use a pediatric needle on the top of my hand. There is no way they can get the amount they need that way, it would take forever. I tried to donate once and the woman practically laughed at me.

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#9 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm also B- and I have been told they actually don't want our blood because it is so rare. We can accept from the universal donor (is that O?) but can only donate to other B-...

I got a shot around 9 weeks because I had a very small SCH. I will likely take the 28 week shot as well and then test both myself (to see if I have any of the baby's blood in my system) and the baby (to see what blood type).

My DH is A+ so I have had the shot a few times as a precaution (losses).

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#10 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Wow, only .6% of people in the US have my blood type (AB-).

My DH is O-, so I've had rhogam all these years for nothing. Ticks me off. I just found out if both are - then rhogam is unnecessary.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#11 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Wow! Interesting to see the percentages of people having the different blood types. I'm O+ so I'm in the clear as far as Rhogam is concerned. DH is O- and so are both kids.

I also read this on another website:
Quote:
There are some good reasons for a husband to not donate Blood to his wife during her childbearing years. During this time, a women who plans to become pregnant, receiving Blood from her husband may pose a small risk to the infants born of these pregnancies. If, after the Blood transfusion the woman develops an antibody to an antigen on the father's red Blood cells, and the subsequently born fetus inherits the father's red cell antigen, the antibody from the mother may enter the Bloodstream of the fetus causing destruction of fetal red Blood cells. This may cause serious anemia in the fetus and excessive jaundice in the infant after birth. This is a known major cause of brain damage. Special Blood transfusions, using selected red Blood cells that do not have the particular in-compatible and offending antigen, are available when this condition is pre-diagnosed. Of course, we suggest autologous Blood donation for the mother. However, for those mothers who are unable to make an autologous donation, the decision to select her husband as a donor should always take this risk under consideration, and specific consultation with your pediatrician on this subject is essential. Blood test results are important in Blood disorders in Blood tests and a Blood test with Rare Blood types.
Interesting. We always figured if I needed blood that DH could donate to me. Maybe I'd need to tap into Mom or Dad (one's O+; one's O-) instead if I needed blood.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#12 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM

Often dc will do the shot standard so they don't have to question if the father is the baby dad. Wrong but standard. Or since htey don't do the testing on the dad to make sure that the father is right. My cousin thought he was A- he is 34 and just found out he is A-.

They do it at 20-28 weeks due to a rare chance of the babys blood mixing with yours with certain problems during labor or even before.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#13 of 28 Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM

Search here more on rhogam, there are several threads. the "standard" is two shots.... one during pregnancy. What a way to double profits!

Upon learning more, I chose not to get the 28 week shot with my 2nd pregnancy. After DD was born, and we tested her blood, I did have to get a shot within 3 days of the birth.

Good luck with your choices!
#14 of 28 Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I'm also B- and I have been told they actually don't want our blood because it is so rare. We can accept from the universal donor (is that O?) but can only donate to other B-...
Yep, O's the universal donor, but if you want to donate, do! They definitely want B-. If they CAN use B- on a B- person, they would rather - and save the O for another time, when they can't match blood type.

Since my son got 3 transfusions when he was in the NICU, I've become something of a blood donation zealot .

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#15 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 06:28 PM

I also declined my 28 week Rhogam, with the understanding that I'll take it immediately following the birth (my husband is Rh positive, as are his parents and my mom, so remembering the high school Punnett square, the baby is too!) The risks of developing antibodies- being sensitized- is actually kind of low, around 2%, if you have a vaginal birth with no trauma during pregnancy. One post birth Rhogam shot cuts the rates in half too. Some of the Rhogam preparations still contain thimerosal, which has been out of vaccines for years too- good to avoid if you can.
#16 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM

burg--if this is your first baby, then from the research i've done there is no reason to have the shot until after the baby is born (unless something traumatic occurs like a car accident, in which case you could go to the hospital and have the shot), and even after birth...it's still optional!!! it is a blood product and though they screen for AIDS now, in the past there were people who contracted AIDS from it... and being Rh- myself and my husband positive, it's something i've given a lot of thought to. because we don't necessarily know the next big disease that they are not screening for now, that they will be screening for in 20 years from now.

i don't mean to scare anybody, but it is important to know what you're putting in and what you're agreeing to.

just fyi, the people who are against the shot say that in a normal birth, without medical interventions the baby's blood would not normally mix with the mother's blood...so it's a very small risk or a non-risk. and unless you are in a car accident or some other anomaly where there is a risk of blood exchange, then the shot is actually riskier.

good luck, i know it's still one of things i haven't yet decided on.

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#17 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM

I think it really depends on what your baby's dad is. My husband is O-, and so am I so we produce a letter stating his blood type and then don't do anything else. DS is O- (silly nurse at the hospital was trying to convince me we didn't KNOW that. :crazy: ) and all our other children will be too.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#18 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM

my midwife and I were just talking about this today (i'm O-) and she recommended against the 28-week shot and said they will find out babys blood type at birth and only give rhogam if necessary then. that sounded good (ie fewer shots!) to me!

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

#19 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerspacemama View Post
my midwife and I were just talking about this today (i'm O-) and she recommended against the 28-week shot and said they will find out babys blood type at birth and only give rhogam if necessary then. that sounded good (ie fewer shots!) to me!
IF your DH is up for it, you could also just have him get his blood type tested. If he is also negative then you will know for sure your baby will be neg and you won't need it at all.

#20 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 PM

I'm A-. Dad b+. Baby was A+
I had 3 shots. 7 weeks (spotting) midway and one I think made with the placenta? The shots gave me no reaction whatsoever.
#21 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

If anything were to happen to the baby that I feel I could have prevented through a shot, I would feel so incredibly guilty. It is the same reason I don't eat lunch meat, etc. I a a worrier by nature and so if the Dr. says a shot will reduce risk, the shot I will get. That's just me.

I have also heard horror stories about women who had multiple miscarriages/still births before they really knew bout the rh factor or what to do about it. I just can't see taking that risk but I respect that others may see the shots as risks themselves.

#22 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 PM

There is a simple blood screen that can be done after 15. weeks to screen for fetal blood type in the maternal blood supply. I believe it is called fetal genotyping and here is the company link to the test:
http://www.lenetix.com/html/rhd___sry_genotyping.html

I will be having this done next week at my appointment. It will take a few days/weeks to get the results back and it will reveal the sex (so if you don't want to know that, this wouldn't be a good option perhaps) but for us (we don't know DH's parents' blood types) it is a great way to know that I need or don't the injection. I'm excited that I have this surefire way of knowing that it is a good procaution to take. Plus we get the added benefit of confirming the ultrasound scan!

Anyway, in the homebirth forum there have been some interesting threads on this topic.

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#23 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
There is a simple blood screen that can be done after 15. weeks to screen for fetal blood type in the maternal blood supply. I believe it is called fetal genotyping and here is the company link to the test:
http://www.lenetix.com/html/rhd___sry_genotyping.html

I will be having this done next week at my appointment.

Jenne
thanks jenne, my mw had mentioned we could test my blood during pregnancy...i thought it was to see if there were already antibodies being made, but it may have been this...i'm going to ask next week in our appointment, and read up on the website...thanks again!
ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#24 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM

One or two vials of blood can do both! I'm going to have both tests run because I think both a important pieces of information.

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#25 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 PM

jenne--yes, i agree it seems like important info! is your insurance covering it, or are you paying out of pocket? if you are paying out of pocket, do you mind my asking how much they are? i was looking on the website and hadn't yet seen cost...which is a consideration as we only have insurance for major emergencies...so it would be out of pocket.

also, i did find some great threads about it already, thanks for the heads up...some really good information to consider. and didn't even realize there was a homebirth thread...which has been fun to look at! thanks again!
ashley

#26 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Our insurance will cover it...but I think it is in the $350 range...I bet you could call the company and find out...or call an ob/gyn explain the situation and offer them X amount cash to see you, do the lab, and run the test. Lots of doctors will negotiate rates for cash payment these days.

I wish you the best!!!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#27 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM

I am rh - (A-) and I've always had the two shots. I'm considering not getting the shot after the birth this time though since this is our last baby and I might as well limit what I'm putting in my body.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#28 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Not to scare anyone, just want to share my story. During my first pregnancy got rhogam shot, then got it again after DD was born. Had an uneventful second pg, until time came for rhogam shot. They found out I had somehow become sensitized midway through second pg. Spent the last few months of that pg being monitored (ultra sounds and fetal monitoring) 1-3x's a week My DS was born healthy. Third pg the monitoring began earlier DS born healthy. The Dr.'s still have no explanation for me, I suffered no trauma and was fine at the beginning of second pg.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page