Green Smoothies!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else drink green smoothies? I've started making them again the morning in an effort to eat something a little more healthy than crackers.

They are so good! And I keep them down!! Woo Hoo!

Anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share? Yesterday's was particularly good, 2 frozen bananas, 4 strawberries, 1.5 cup of baby spinach and a cup of crushed ice. Delish!!

This morning I did a small apple, a plum and 2 large leaves of kale with crushed ice - pretty good!

Has anyone else noticed that your body tends to crave simple, healthy foods? I love veggies, fruits (especially raw and cold!) and foods with only one or two ingredients. Complex dishes and desserts have zero appeal to me. Now if only this would last....

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#2 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM

I had them daily before m/s started. Honestly I can't stand the thought of drinking them right now...I'm hoping once I get an appetite back I'll be able to get back to them.

Avocado is great in them! We do a lot of blueberries too - I found out that if I add enough blueberries it kind of turns purple and my kids love them.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#3 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I looooove green smoothies - and so does DS!

My favorite right now: some pineapple, some mango, big handful of spinach, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil, almond milk, a banana. Tastes like pina colada - mmm!!! I'm actually off to make one right now ... Sometimes we make ones that have peanut butter, but right now I'm obsessed with the pina colada ones .

If anyone has some ideas for good, healthy additives, I'm all ears. We often add flax oil, but would love to make them even-super-healthier!

ETA: Oh, and YES to the craving simple foods. Fruits and veggies are my BEST friends right now. I'm getting nowhere near the amount of protein that I want (~100g/day), but hopefully will be able to eat more when I stop feeling quite so queasy at the idea of meats.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#4 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM

DH makes me green juices in the AM. Just all the healthy juice from fruits and veggies! i did do smoothies with my last pregnancy tho!

Mom to K and R

#5 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM

I love green smoothies. My favorite is fresh pineaple, frozen mango, raw coconut oil, greens and water/or almond milk.

I drank a ton after my last was born and lost a lot of weight. I hope to start drinking more too, I am finally starting to feel better.

I add chia seeds to mine for omega 3.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#6 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM

YES!! I love them and we drink them almost every day (DS likes them as well)

I use kale, bananas, blueberries, an apple and sometimes other stuff depending on what's in the fruit bowl. I add hemp milk because we can't do soy/dairy in our house. Delish!

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 AM

I make a green smoothie to combat my kids eczema. Kefir, spirulina calcium, magnesium, zinc, a banana, and strawberries. I haven't had any myself because I'm not sure if all those ingredients are appropriate for pregnancy.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 AM

You inspired me! Thank you!

I did frozen peaches, fresh blueberries and rasberries, flax, spinich, yogurt, ice and OJ. YUM!!! Even DH had some and he's not a smoothie guy.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#9 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM

@trekkinggirl: those ingredients should be fine and healthy for you and your baby

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#10 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh frozen peaches! And pineapple! You guys have good ideas, thanks for the suggestions!

Man, these smoothies sure aren't cheap. :|

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#11 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Seriously! I'm going to go broke! I'm in love. Hard. Darn you momma-molly!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#12 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like to add hemp protein powder to my non-dairy fruit smoothies. The flavor is a bit strong, but it adds protein, EFAs, and fiber all in one.

I have chard in my garden - has anybody tried that in a green smoothie?
#13 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

I love yoghurt smoothies, but I'm not there yet with my MS.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#14 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Green smoothies are the best! I really just throw greens into whatever smoothie i'm making. One combo I really like is kefir, vanilla, a touch of honey, baby spinach and loads of frozen peaches. Now that my son is almost three, he's a bit inconsistent when it comes to eating greens. But if they're in a smoothie i have no problem getting him to eat them. We also freeze the smoothie in a popsicle mold, which he loves; i also recommend this to my clients for when they're in labor. Here's the recipe for one of our favorites, if you're interested: http://fullbellysisters.blogspot.com/2011/03/tropical-popsicles-lean-green-and-clean.html 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page