Announcing on FB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How far along were you when you made the announcement on facebook? I'm 10ish weeks and have an u/s tomorrow. I was thinking of doing it after that. But, part of me still thinks it's kind of early and that we should wait until my 12-13 week appt. Part of the rush, though, is that people keep making comments on my wall...none that really "out" me, but when you put them altogether, it's enough to get people suspicious. Opinions?

Also, the actual announcement. I was thinking:

Michelle...has a baby in her tummy.
Michelle...is with child.
Michelle...is in a family way.
Michelle...and (DH) are expecting an addition to their family in February.

I think I like the first three better since they're slightly more subtle and fun but still get the message across. What does everyone think?

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm waiting till we hear the HB friday when I see the MW... If everything's good, I'll be posting to everyone...

Mama to 5 boys, F (13), J(11), R&X (8), L (2) and growing baby 6 due in Feb 11!!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 PM

We announced on FB at 7 weeks, I needed to tell work so we figured we might as well go public.

Our announcement was

Cassidy is going public... We're going to be a family of four sometime in February.

I think any of the things you posted would work.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

We did it at 11 wks after hearing the heartbeat on the doppler. I posted our 7 wk ultrasound pic with this message:

"Mac and I would like to let you all know that 11 weeks ago I contracted a parasite that is currently laying waste to my body. The doctors hope that the infection will last no longer than 40 weeks but others who have suffered from similar invasions have seen them persist for 43 weeks or more. Luckily I am not contagious but my condition has caused me to avoid most social situations due to nausea, weight gain, and general physical discomfort. It is our hope that you will keep us in your thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks and keep the hope alive that this will all have a swift and happy outcome.

A recent ultrasound showed that the parasite looked like this at 7 weeks:"

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM

I posted like 4 days after my BFP

and i said "Holly is expecting a little bundle of joy in 9 months"

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Im waiting until after my u/s appointment on the 2nd. We will be going to Indiana to visit DH family so I want to tell them that weekend. Once they know I will tell the FB world. I should be about 11-12 wks then.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have not come out yet and am waiting to hear a HB.... Have not even thought about how to say it though. hmmm....

Mom to K and R

Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
We did it at 11 wks after hearing the heartbeat on the doppler. I posted our 7 wk ultrasound pic with this message:

"Mac and I would like to let you all know that 11 weeks ago I contracted a parasite that is currently laying waste to my body. The doctors hope that the infection will last no longer than 40 weeks but others who have suffered from similar invasions have seen them persist for 43 weeks or more. Luckily I am not contagious but my condition has caused me to avoid most social situations due to nausea, weight gain, and general physical discomfort. It is our hope that you will keep us in your thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks and keep the hope alive that this will all have a swift and happy outcome.

A recent ultrasound showed that the parasite looked like this at 7 weeks:"
lol lol lol SO funny!

I just announced today on FB - I took a video of my 2 year old making the announcement. Here's the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiOmof9LS1c

I'm 11 weeks today.

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma-molly View Post
lol lol lol SO funny!

I just announced today on FB - I took a video of my 2 year old making the announcement. Here's the youtube link:

I'm 11 weeks today.
OMG she is freaking adorable, I love when she says she is going to hold the baby and rock it to sleep. She is going to be a GREAT big sister!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
lol lol lol SO funny!

I'm 11 weeks today.
Oh my gosh, she is ADORABLE! That was too cute!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM

I will be 13 weeks tomorrow, and I still haven't made the FB announcement. I have no idea why! I broke the news early for both my DS's, but for some reason I have been continually waiting for the next big milestone to break the BIG news. I think I have also been enjoying slowly telling people in person.

Great ideas! Momma-Molly, I might borrow your idea and film the boys breaking the news!

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM

I announced on FB a couple days ago after a friend started telling lots of mutual friends without asking . I wanted to be the one to tell, even if it was just via a FB status update!!

I said "Kelley is growing a little every day - little fingers, little toes, and everything in between! We are thrilled to announce that Baby #2 will be joining us around February 11, 2011."

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM

A friend recently said, "Jill has a lobster in the freezer ... oops! I mean we have a bun in the oven!" and her due date. I thought that was REALLY funny, but couldn't use it - but you could steal it if you wanted to .

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM

We haven't told family yet, but we hope to this weekend *maybe* if my nuchal fold US goes well on Friday. I hate to even think that far ahead, for fear of jinxing myself, since we got really really bad news at my last nuchal us, but if things go well I'll probably announce to the "world" next week, after 13 weeks...

last time, i wasn't on FB and barely told anyone. it was kind of cool to see how the word travels around without publicly announcing it on the internet....

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM

I just announced on FB today after seeing this post. I'm over 12 weeks and have heard the heartbeat twice. At this point, I'm assuming everything will continue going well.

I said, "In about 6 months, Daniel and I are going to be outnumbered! We're expecting #3 on my birthday- February 8th!"

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna123 View Post
I just announced on FB today after seeing this post. I'm over 12 weeks and have heard the heartbeat twice. At this point, I'm assuming everything will continue going well.

I said, "In about 6 months, Daniel and I are going to be outnumbered! We're expecting #3 on my birthday- February 8th!"
I thought about going with the "outnumbered" thing by saying that, "Michelle and (DH) need to start practicing zone defense," or something like that, but I was afraid that it's not obvious enough

As it happens, my BFF is having her baby right now so I'm sure she will be making the birth announcement later this evening or tomorrow, so I kinda don't want to steal her thunder. Decisions, decisions!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM

I just announced yesterday too! We finally had told all the family so made it public. this is what I posted:

-is giving her husband the best birthday gift EVER! A new son or daughter! ♥ We're due on his birthday 2/2/11!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
lol lol lol SO funny!

I'm 11 weeks today.
that was really adorable!

Mom to K and R

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM

We made an announcement after the 7 week u/s, we were just so excited. At that point we had told family, close friends, and some coworkers so it was kind of out there and I wanted to be able to share the news with everyone.

Quote:
Very, very cute!

Nintendork- very funny!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM

This baby was an unplanned addition. I'd suspected I was pregnant for a few days and had said something off hand to a few friends. When I got my BFP, I posted a "wow! really? wow!" update and everyone started guessing I was pregnant. We were going to wait to tell people, but we realized that A. everyone was already spreading rumors and B. we wanted to tell the kids, which would amount to telling everyone. So, I posted the day I found out. I posted a pic of my positive test with the headline "Well, the cat's out of the bag..."

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM

I told last week. It just said "Bri and Chaise are having a baby." I'd waited until after an u/s and telling family. Then gave it a couple days to sink in. I think you should say you're in a family way.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM

Molly, she is adorable!!!

Quote:
This is great!

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM

Oh, I guess it would help to answer the OP's question too

I announced just before 9w when I got the babe on the doppler. I didn't do anything creative.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM

I'll probably wait. I have told family in person, and I guess I will wait until I get back to the States to tell my friends in person, then I will announce it on Facebook.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

I haven't announced and I'm 12 wks. A friend asked right on my wall (I guess she'd heard from another friend) so our mutual friends all know and several commented, but since I didn't make a general announcement most still don't know.

I feel a little weird though. This baby wasn't planned and since it's baby #5, I've had a lot of not-so-enthusiastic reactions. Not anything mean or rude, just like, "Wow, really? Uh, congratulations!" I know I should just be excited and not care how others will react, but I guess since I'm not super duper thrilled yet and I feel like crap from morning sickness, I haven't worked up the energy to make the announcement.

Maybe I never will. I'll just post pictures in February. "He/She's hear!!!!!"

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM

I just announced it today. We had a dating ultrasound today so I finally know when I'm due. I'm 10.5 weeks. We've already told family and close friends. I made a fake movie poster that had the u/s picture and the words:
Lastname Trilogy
The 3rd & FINAL Chapter
February 2011

Then I posted a picture of it on my wall.

Obviously it said our last name, not the words Lastname. And along the bottom it had all of our names, like we were starring in the movie.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 AM

OMgosh, you guys are so creative...and funny!!

I like the lobster in the freezer one, that's really funny. The zone defense one is pretty funny too, but maybe too subtle. The poster idea is very clever too - and will be neat to keep.

Michelle - if I had to pick one I'd go with "in a family way", you don't hear that much anymore and it's cute.

One of my fb friends posted "pickles, anyone?" and most people got it pretty quickly.

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 AM

DDCC to share that i finally had to do something on facebook because too many folsk IRL knew and i kept getting wall posts like " how is momma doing?" and the such.

So i finally changed my status (dont change it very often at all) changed it to:
"I now have 6 feet! and a hole buncha gravidic bliss"

of course i have twins so it really threw a lot of folks for a loop, but it was fun as they all figured it out. i ended up getting to tell each group i spend time with in different ways that really played to our common stuff.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
I just announced it today. We had a dating ultrasound today so I finally know when I'm due. I'm 10.5 weeks. We've already told family and close friends. I made a fake movie poster that had the u/s picture and the words:
Lastname Trilogy
The 3rd & FINAL Chapter
February 2011

Then I posted a picture of it on my wall.

Obviously it said our last name, not the words Lastname. And along the bottom it had all of our names, like we were starring in the movie.
TOO CUTE! That will be great for the baby book

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
DDCC to share that i finally had to do something on facebook because too many folsk IRL knew and i kept getting wall posts like " how is momma doing?" and the such.

So i finally changed my status (dont change it very often at all) changed it to:
"I now have 6 feet! and a hole buncha gravidic bliss"

of course i have twins so it really threw a lot of folks for a loop, but it was fun as they all figured it out. i ended up getting to tell each group i spend time with in different ways that really played to our common stuff.
Lol, I would have been very confused; fun riddle!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM

i did it! i just announced on FB! Woo Hoo!

Mom to K and R

User Tag List