***Weekly chat, Aug 1*** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 91 Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nintendo, I meant to say YES - I'm pysched about prop 8 overturned. I'm in Mass so it's a little more liberal here, but I was surprised at Cali passing that to begin with. We did live in Maine for a while and they passed a ban on gay marriage last November, right after we moved out. I'm hoping this will have Maine follow in their footsteps...

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#62 of 91 Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM

any art collectors here? I just found portraits of yours truly on ebay.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#63 of 91 Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM

Awesome ultrasound video!

I tried to take some belly pics yesterday, my butt was bigger than my belly, so I quit.

I am running out of ideas for things to eat. The other day I ate a lunchmeat sandwich, fresh package of lunchmeat, I haven't had one in months (it's one of the things I just don't do during pg)...it was sooooooo tasty.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#64 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
For real? Details!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#65 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
No way!

So... not much going on here. My family has apparently all gone insane. Tomorrow I'm going in to see my midwife. It's just bloodwork, regular stuff. We should get to hear the heartbeat though. DD is excited. And after making the "bum bum" heartbeat sounds with me cutely informed me that she wants the baby to kick. Which surprised me, since I wasn't sure how much she remembered from my last pregnancy.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#66 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
For real? Details!
I'm a figure model, but I also recently did a sitting with an artist friend of mine who does oil paintings. We just had a couple of sessions a few weeks back and I decided to peek on ebay to see and she's fast!

with a straw hat and portrait

It's not really anything new to me. A piece by another artist that featured me in a fully nude frontal, nine months pregnant with my first. It circulated in the Austin Chronicle a few years back (it was to advertise the showing)... it was really funny that everyone it town came up to me and said "Hey, you're in the paper" In fact I just checked his website and my entire family is on there (with number two still in utero) It's a fun job. Nothing my husband bargained for

Oh when will this lack of sleep end. Up at 4am again. Sippin' my chamomile tea and looking for something decent to read.

How exciting about your appointment Ms.Music. I'm so stoked for my next one... it'll be the first time we will be able to hear the heartbeat

Aw, Tresa. I think we all have bigger buts than bellies at this point. I'm sure you look beautiful!

Hope you ladies are enjoying some sound sleep!

#67 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks to all who commented on my U/S video, I watch it all the time!

And echospiritwarrior, those are cool pics of you!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#68 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM

I am officially 14 weeks pregnant today, and I've been feeling better....this is my third day starting to believe ms might actually be over!!

I haven't ventured into belly pics yet. In the morning my tummy is pretty tiny still....it grows throughout the day;-)

I was starting to think about pictures last night. I would love to find someone fantastic who could take pictures during my home birth. My husband is a fantastic photographer (he's an artisit), but obviously that won't be his focus during the birth. But, he would be picky if we introduced someone else during the birth. I just feel like this is it. I don't have many pregnancy pics of my first two, or delivery (we had a major theft a few years back), and this is it! Number 3 will be it for us.

Has anyone else had someone take pics during delivery? What was the experience like?

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#69 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Today is our midwife appointment! Finally! I very much hope we'll be able to hear a heartbeat this afternoon. B. is ecstatic to meet the midwife, she's been telling anyone who will listen that we have a midwife appointment today.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#70 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Echo, those are beautiful, your friend is very talented.

Debra, congrats on feeling better!

Lyterae, I hope you have a good appt today.

As for me, I think I am just gross lol. Last night I was so gassy, and it was really smelly. I have never had smelly gas before. My poor husband threatened to sleep in the guest bedroom last night!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#71 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oooh, I love those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra_lea View Post
I was starting to think about pictures last night. I would love to find someone fantastic who could take pictures during my home birth. My husband is a fantastic photographer (he's an artisit), but obviously that won't be his focus during the birth. But, he would be picky if we introduced someone else during the birth. I just feel like this is it. I don't have many pregnancy pics of my first two, or delivery (we had a major theft a few years back), and this is it! Number 3 will be it for us.

Has anyone else had someone take pics during delivery? What was the experience like?
I'm a photographer and I'm photographing my first birth in September - I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about it! Google birth photographers, you might find someone in your area.

AFM: I'm still so tired. 12 weeks yesterday, so the end is in sight, right? RIGHT? Less nauseous though, so I'm counting my blessings.

Last night we had garlic shrimp with angel hair pasta. Ummm, it was so good you guys. Loaded with butter, but I think it was the first meal I've eaten in months that I ate enough of to actually get full. Ahhh, I don't know why but I've been craving shrimp. Is that weird?

My daughter is hilarious. I absolutely love this age - she's 2.5. Last night we saw my MIL and she commented on her new shoes and asked her where she got them. She replied - "Mommy got them for me! And guess what, Nana! Mommy's wearing new underwear!" I died laughing. She's so right, we just went shopping and I did buy new underwear. She announced it too DH when he got home from work too - "Mommy has flowers on her new underwear!" Oh man, I love that kid.

There's my random post for the day.

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#72 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM

I got the NT scan so I could peek at my baby and to better plan in case she/he seemed to be at a higher risk for medical challenges. If the baby had a visible condition that meant it couldn't survive outside the womb, I'd terminate. No sense (for me) in carrying it until it spontaneously aborted. It's not a religious issue for me.

Anyway, as for an update...

I'm transferring over to a certified nurse-midwifery practice and had my first meeting with them today. It was great! We can't afford the out-of-pocket for a home birth, but I was terrified of going to the hospital. These CNMs are covered by my insurance and love to do natural childbirth. They have support for their methods in the hospital, allow you to bring a tub to your room to labor in, they do intermittent monitoring so you can move around as you please, allow you to eat and drink, etc. I left the office feeling really empowered about my choices and care.

Almost 14 weeks
#73 of 91 Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM

thanks Molly, pixie & nintendork. I think she's a very talented artist as well, I feel honored to be immortalized like that.

cactuspear- that's great that you are able to transfer into midwifery care how wonderful

I must say, though and I'm really not trying to be offensive to anyone that I do get a little irked when people say they can't afford homebirth. Many would laugh at our tax returns, and despite our meager incomes we have chosen to spend the money on our homebirth midwife. It took many months after the birth of our first to pay off our midwife. We have applied and been approved during our previous two pregnancies for medicaid, which I do mainly in the case of an emergency (I don't want to have complications and a possible sick baby AND have to go through a bureaucratic paper trail then) but I also appreciate that it covers my blood work and anatomy scan (which we would otherwise choose to decline because of the cost). All that when our hospital birth cost would be $0. Yes, I don't want to use the system, but we all make our own choices. $3K is well worth it for us... even if it takes a while to pay it off. I'll step off my now, and I apologize I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings... this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I seem to hear that statement a lot.

Molly- I do hope the end is in sight for you. Your daughter is cracking ME up that's awesome!

#74 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I've seen that they put eye ointment on the baby after birth in the US, they don't do that here, so I was just wondering why? What is the ointment? What does it do?
I hear so many decline it as well.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#75 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Pixie, it's an antibiotic and I guess it's supposed to clear the eys of any baceteria or possible STDs when coming out the vagina? I think it's sad, I had it with my first and I remember him squinting to see me... I declined for my second.

So my husband wants to take the kids to the beach today. The beaches in our town are closed to swimming due to sharks being seen 100yds off the coast again yesterday. He thinks that it's ok because the kids don't swim too far off shore...I imagine this argument is going to contain a great deal of quotes from Jaws.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#76 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I must say, though and I'm really not trying to be offensive to anyone that I do get a little irked when people say they can't afford homebirth. Many would laugh at our tax returns, and despite our meager incomes we have chosen to spend the money on our homebirth midwife. It took many months after the birth of our first to pay off our midwife. We have applied and been approved during our previous two pregnancies for medicaid, which I do mainly in the case of an emergency (I don't want to have complications and a possible sick baby AND have to go through a bureaucratic paper trail then) but I also appreciate that it covers my blood work and anatomy scan (which we would otherwise choose to decline because of the cost). All that when our hospital birth cost would be $0. Yes, I don't want to use the system, but we all make our own choices. $3K is well worth it for us... even if it takes a while to pay it off. I'll step off my now, and I apologize I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings... this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I seem to hear that statement a lot.
We have Blue Cross insurance, it most likely will NOT cover the cost of our homebirth. My options are to try to find a hospital that will "allow" me to VBAC or figure out how to pay our midwife. I was terribly concerned at first and I spent an evening crying trying to figure out how on earth we were going to be able to afford it. I'm terrified of giving birth in a hospital now... Luckily, something I didn't know is that a lot of midwives are willing to work with you, they want you to be able to birth your baby in a safe place. So I agree with echo... It is expensive, but I think that trying to work a financial agreement out can be beneficial.

In other news we had our first appointment yesterday, I was a little nervous about meeting the midwife again ( we interviewed her about 2 years ago). The visit went well, we were able to hear the heartbeat for about half a second before baby darted off somewhere else.. She may be able to help us find someone so that we can get donor milk for baby #2, we're really hoping for no supply issues this time but we're planning for worst case scenario.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#77 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM

I can understand why saying "I can't afford a home birth" sounds like a cop-out. We live next to some annoyingly loud apartments and have three big wild and wooly animals, so a birth center would have been our preference (which is even more expensive, about $4500). We chose not to do it because we already pay for health insurance and felt like the additional cost was too much of a burden. I pay for insurance because it's a safety net. My partner had surgery a few years ago and I went to the emergency room at the beginning of the year. Without insurance, we would still be deep in debt from both of those health crises. Birthing with a midwife in a particularly accommodating hospital is a compromise I can live with. It's not a position I'm totally comfortable with - I think home births should be covered!

I lived in Scandinavia for a while, where everyone has health insurance and midwifery care is a big part of public health. That would be my preference here in the USA. Or the Dutch model - even better!
#78 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

In regard to the cost of Homebirth--

Its tough! We will some how figure out a way to pay for the homebirth, but it certainly will be difficult. We live paycheck to paycheck by choice, so that I can stay at home with the kids. We are also choicey about the preschools we send our kids too- which are also pricey! But, they are all choices we make. Choices I know many can't afford to make.

It isn't an issue that I don't think my midwife deserves the $3500. However, it pisses me off that we pay an exhorbiant amount for our BCBS and they will only reimburse me about $700 if I compare with my last homebirth. And, if I was willing to go to the hospital, I would likely pay next to nothing. My frustration goes toward the system!

On another topic.....I have been obsessing over names the past day or so. I am close to throwing my long standing girls name out and window and starting again! I have never started the name search this early, and I'm fixated on my research!

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#79 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Pixie, it's an antibiotic and I guess it's supposed to clear the eys of any baceteria or possible STDs when coming out the vagina? I think it's sad, I had it with my first and I remember him squinting to see me... I declined for my second.
Oh, seriously! That's not nesessary! Gosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspear View Post
I lived in Scandinavia for a while, where everyone has health insurance and midwifery care is a big part of public health. That would be my preference here in the USA. Or the Dutch model - even better!
Actually, we don't have health insurance here in Scandinavia. We don't need it. Health care is mostly free because of our taxes. All health care for kids and pregnant women is totally free (including birth, postnatal care, and home visits from a nurse person after birth), all hospital care is free for everyone. Adults pay about 30$ for a doctors appointment. And about the same for the ER visit.
Can you tell me what the Dutch model is? My friend majikfaerie in here said that where I live they follow the Dutch model, and I'm still not sure what that is.

And when you guys talk about the cost of a homebirth, what are you paying for exactly? It's the midwife yes?
A homebirth MW here takes about 800-850$ for a homebirth (including pre- and postnatal care).
Same with a doula. (Except that goes for birth anywhere of course.) And that's all you pay for a homebirth.
And the funny thing is, that the state reimburses you for the MW cost of a homebirth. They want birth to be free here.

#80 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
And when you guys talk about the cost of a homebirth, what are you paying for exactly? It's the midwife yes?
A homebirth MW here takes about 800-850$ for a homebirth (including pre- and postnatal care).
Same with a doula. (Except that goes for birth anywhere of course.) And that's all you pay for a homebirth.
And the funny thing is, that the state reimburses you for the MW cost of a homebirth. They want birth to be free here.
Here it will be $3500 for the prenatals, birth, and postnatal care. There will also be a fee ($100?) for renting the birthing tub, and we'll be responsible for having about $50 of needed supplies.

We'll get an itemized "receipt" at the end that we can submit to insurance, but there is no guaruntee they will pay for it.

#81 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, we don't have health insurance here in Scandinavia. We don't need it. Health care is mostly free because of our taxes.
Much the same as here in Canada. In many provinces (I'm in Ontario, for one) midwives are completely covered by the provincial health care so we don't pay a cent whether we want home or hospital birth. I guess if you are renting your own tub, you'd pay for something like that. And all dr and hospital visits, we don't pay. It's great, we do pay a lot in taxes but I'm totally fine with that. There are some things we do pay for, like doctor's notes and little things, then there are some things like physiotherapy, optometrists, dentists, massage therapy, chiropractors etc that are not covered but usually are by private health insurance which you can pay extra for or is sometimes offered by employers. Anyway, I feel very fortunate for this system. It's not perfect, but we have used it to our advantage when needed, and it's so great to not have to face a bill afterwards. My mom lived in the US for a few years and had thousands & thousands of dollars in health care bills.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#82 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
In my area it ranges from 2500-3500 + labs and ultrasound if you choose to have one. My midwife is 3000.

#83 of 91 Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM

My midwife is charging 2800 for her services. The birth kit is extra - but cheap. Labs and ultrasounds are not included.

I have to get my prenatal bloodwork done - with no insurance the lab was going to charge me $200! Ouch! I found this website where you order the tests you want done, pick the lab and pay online. Then you print out the papers you need to take into the lab with you. The test I needed is only $60 - awesome!! The best part is that I got a 15% off coupon so I even get to save some money - bringing it down to almost $50.
www.privatemdlabs.com

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#84 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, we don't have health insurance here in Scandinavia. We don't need it. Health care is mostly free because of our taxes. All health care for kids and pregnant women is totally free (including birth, postnatal care, and home visits from a nurse person after birth), all hospital care is free for everyone. Adults pay about 30$ for a doctors appointment. And about the same for the ER visit. Can you tell me what the Dutch model is? My friend majikfaerie in here said that where I live they follow the Dutch model, and I'm still not sure what that is.
By health insurance in Scandinavia, I meant national health. Where are you? I lived in Sweden (and briefly Norway) and I really miss it sometimes!

The Dutch model for pregnancy is care is ultra friendly to midwifery, with 30% of babies born at home (and covered by the health system), versus less than 1% in the USA. From what I know about their healthcare system, it's a little more flexible and market-oriented than Scandinavian national health, which might win over more American opinion. The government also provides incentives for private insurance companies to cover populations that are often left out in the cold in the USA, like lower income people, people with chronic health conditions, etc. majikfaerie can probably give you more and better info.
#85 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Thank you for answering, ladies, I must say 3000$ sounds crazy for a midwife. But it must be because they live of it? Here, there's not enough home births (small country, and not bad hospital/midwife run birth places), so they usually have other jobs as main income. Or are stay at home mums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspear View Post
By health insurance in Scandinavia, I meant national health. Where are you? I lived in Sweden (and briefly Norway) and I really miss it sometimes!

The Dutch model for pregnancy is care is ultra friendly to midwifery, with 30% of babies born at home (and covered by the health system), versus less than 1% in the USA. From what I know about their healthcare system, it's a little more flexible and market-oriented than Scandinavian national health, which might win over more American opinion. The government also provides incentives for private insurance companies to cover populations that are often left out in the cold in the USA, like lower income people, people with chronic health conditions, etc. majikfaerie can probably give you more and better info.
I'm an Aussie in Norway.
And thanks. Yeah, I should get around to ask mf more about it.

#86 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM

I just had a good opportunity to talk about my alopecia on my spotlight thread. I was hoping it would come up on there. I like filing people in when I can. If you're interested, check it out.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#87 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 09:53 PM

thanks for sharing trek. off to read!

#88 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 PM

Home births here run 3000-4500. I birthed my last baby at home, but CAN'T afford to this time. I can have my birth covered 100% with CNMs in the hospital. My dp is unemployed and I am self employed, and the economy has cut my income to less than a half of last year, (which was more than 30% down from the year before.) With 4 kids and no reliable income now or in the future, with all credit cards already maxed out...we can't cut any other corners, we live in a circle already. And it makes me cry.
So sometimes, with several thousand dollars, it isn't a matter of cutting back and saving up, when every penny's already allocated.
#89 of 91 Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I went to the midwife on Thursday. We got to hear the baby. K was very excited. She helped the mw with my bloodwork even. And named the baby "Baby Nemo"... which we're going to try to talk her out of. The baby's heartrate is 150.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#90 of 91 Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
So sometimes, with several thousand dollars, it isn't a matter of cutting back and saving up, when every penny's already allocated.
That's exactly what came to mind when I read previous post.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page