***Weekly chat, Aug 1*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is everybody doing this week?

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#2 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Good! Went back to prenatal yoga after missing it for 2 weeks due to schedule conflicts. I could tell it had been 2 weeks because everything seemed a lot harder LOL. I was really out of breath!

In January we have a vacation planned to disney and as i was perusing websites for cheap flights, DH decides we should just drive to save money EEK! I'm excited but also freaking out nervous becuase i'll be 34 weeks preggo on the way down and almost 36 weeks on the way back. Did I mention i live in VERMONT!? lol. It is a 23 hour drive!!

We crunched numbers and he is right though, it is WAY cheaper. I actually posted over in the general "i'm pregnant" forum to see if anyone has btdt and has advice for me! DS will be 3.5 years so i'll have to figure out some entertainment for him as well!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#3 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Pretty good - we finally made it out to the beach today, despite the fact that it's kind of chilly. The water was 13*C! Brr!

I'm showing hugely, and got my first belly grab - especially bad because it's mostly just flab at this point.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM

holly- that's funny...I'll be going to VT later on this month, hope I feel better for it! NH too.

So yeah, I'm still very tired, nauseated....I'm on Zofran and finding it hard to even stay hydrated.....blech.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#5 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM

I've been feeling great the last week or so. No more nausea! And I just hit 13 weeks and the 2nd trimester today so. Slowly getting some energy back as well.
And I'm feeling Popcorn move almost every day now.
(My uterus is at my belly button! So I grew a belly overnight.)

However, tuesday, D-day as we call it, duotest ultrasound (nuchal fold scan). Ah, I'm so nervous, I didn't think I'd be this nervous. I'm so scared of hearing we're having another sick baby. Blah. I wish I could sleep until it was over.
Oh, anyone who's been to one before, how long does it take? I have no idea what to expect.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#6 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

pixiekisses our scan took about 20 mins, and that was only because the baby wouldn't hold still for the neck measurement. Afterwards she drew blood and then we were out of there.

My friend who went into early labor last night is back home. They rehydrated her and ended up having to give her two shots of terbuline to get labor to stop so she was up all night with her heart racing and terrible nausea, but no signs of contractions today!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#7 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM

I was starting to feel so much better, not 100% but much better. But today has been bad. I am looking forward to putting everyone to bed and starting a new day tomorrow.
My 1st trimester screening appointment is tomorrow and I'm excited/nervous. I hope everything is ok, well obviously. Dh will be out of state & I have to go by myself which stinks.
I have been without a laptop for 2 weeks now - I'm using dd's. Ahhhh, I can't wait to have mine back!
I just feel crabby today. Hormones

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#8 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 PM

We just spent the entire day at the beach, literally 8 hours. So much fun, it's amazing that the kids still have so much energy though although I'm sure they'll sleep well tonight. The water is actually warm here (in SE Mass), 70s, which is nice although still not warm enough for me to go in. LOL.

I had my nuchal fold US on Friday, so I'm waiting for the results of that. Hope everything is OK. I'm 13 weeks on Tuesday, is that the start of the 2nd trimester? I can never keep it straight. Oh and we still haven't told family. I've told just a few friends, very few, I'm not even outed on facebook yet.

Oppsie kids need me - more later

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#9 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 PM

I battled a headache all.weekend.long...but made it out on the other side, today, not having taken any OTC drugs! Victory! Muscle tension and dehydration and hormones, I think. The trifecta whammy. Luckily, my kids were with their dad this weekend, so I could lay around in misery and sleep a lot.

My fiance moved in over the weekend. It's nice to have him around all the time

Definitely feel a big bulgey uterus in my lower belly. It's in my way when I lean up against the kitchen counter, it's making sex feel different...the positioning of things or the weight of it moving things around, idk. I've forgotten how far along I am...I know I'll be 14 weeks on the 16th, I guess that makes me 12 now? I like ignorant bliss moments like that. They don't happen that often for me in pregnancy.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#10 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 10 weeks today. Half way to half way! lol Still exhausted and nauseated, no change there But I find the symptoms reassuring, so I'm not going to complain.

I do have a question for you guys, though. I'm feeling really discouraged in terms of exercise--I don't know what is going on, exactly, but I was doing 7+ mile runs without a thought a few weeks ago, and now I'm getting *really* dizzy and light headed before I can finish a single mile, literally. I'm not winded or overheated in the slightest. Any btdt? What's going on?

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#11 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm 12 wks today. I'm feeling much better. Pretty well back to normal. I get tired easier than usual, but that's it. Starting to feel nicely pregnant And starting to feel like this is going by pretty fast, for a few wks there it was draggin pretty slow... I was thinking today, in a month ds will be starting back at school, 6 wks after will be thanksgiving, 2 months after will be Christmas, then 6 wks after -BABY TIME! It's gonna be here before I know it!

I do have a bit of a belly, more than I remember having at this point in my previous pregnancies, but not enough for anyone to know I'm pregnant, if they don't already know. We haven't told many people, close family and a couple close friends, but we still haven't told our kids yet so I want to make sure that anyone I do tell won't let it slip to them by mistake. I have an u/s on tuesday so after that we are going to tell the kids. Next weekend we are going to our hometown to see all our families and have a bday party for dd so we'll tell everyone then I'm sure.

It's a long wknd here so dh was off for 3 days, we had a nice day yesterday @ home, today we took the kids to Centre Island (kiddy amusement park) today and tomorrow probably just relax again. So nice to have energy to do stuff again!

nintendork, that is great news about your friend.

bunny mcfluff- i think that's pretty common in the first trimester- I used to run as well and 2 days ago I had to chase a 2 yr old across a playground and was soooooo out of breath! Not sure why, but you might be able to pick it up in a few weeks, maybe not at the same pace. I was quite a cyclist in my first pregnancy and my ob at the time told me not to let my heart rate get too high, something about making sure the baby gets enough oxygen or something. Don't quote me on that LOL.But I was able to carry on cycling up until it just wasn't comfortable anymore, big belly getting in the way

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#12 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Cujo we are doing the same thing with telling people. I have an u/s tomorrow at 2pm. Hoping everything looks good and then I'll tell my 3 yr old what is on the screen. After that we will probably call MIL and see if Adrianna will spill the beans for us. This coming weekend we are going to Indiana to see DH's grandparents and will tell them then. Sometime in there we will call his dad and step mom in FL to let them know too. It will feel good to get this out in the open. Im sure my friends that dont know think Im a party pooper because I havent been attending any of the get togethers. Im so tired and queezy at night. Last night I was knocked out before 9pm.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#13 of 91 Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 PM

12 wks tomorrow and still feeling nauseated , I hope this ends soon.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#14 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 AM

This isn't to be rude... but why are so many ladies getting that NT scan done? It has such a huge rate of false results. I decline everything. I only did the GD test last time because I didn't get far enough along the first time to get one and I have a history of diabetes in my family.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#15 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
pixiekisses our scan took about 20 mins, and that was only because the baby wouldn't hold still for the neck measurement. Afterwards she drew blood and then we were out of there.
Ah, thanks!
My Popcorn is usually dancing around a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post
This isn't to be rude... but why are so many ladies getting that NT scan done? It has such a huge rate of false results. I decline everything. I only did the GD test last time because I didn't get far enough along the first time to get one and I have a history of diabetes in my family.
And that is your choice. Others make other choices.

We want it because we have a child with a serious, progressive syndrome already, she is very, very sick, and requires eyes on her 24/7, and a lot of help throughout the day and night.
So if we are at high risk of getting a baby with a trisomy, we need to be prepared, the system needs to be prepared. We would never terminate, or anything like that, but we have to know.
We are, of course, aware that this test is no guarantee in any way. And that we can get a false positive. We're willing to take the risk.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#16 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Hi everyone! I was up at 5am because I went to bed with my kids last night. Oh well, I like the quiet early morning hours- some time here to myself and some time to piddle around the house before I go to work.

Nintendork- so glad to hear your friend's ctx were able to be stopped!

26% loaded here (11 weeks tomorrow) and I'm feeling a huge sigh of relief being so near to the second trimester and strangely I think I'm feeling quite a bit more myself.

I'm impressed so many of you have been able to keep this under wraps for so long! As I was leaving the farmers market on Saturday I had picked up the girls' soccer ball and was saying hello/goodbye to a few friends just arriving and one mama friend pointed out to me "look at that soccer ball next to that other soccer ball" I looked down and she was right!

I have a feeling this week is going to go really fast. I have a busy work week and I'm still getting things under control before DH leaves in a week. I've done oodles of wash, sorting and decluttering. Yesterday alone I was able to pitch two trash bags, donate one and I have another separated to try to sell in sets on CL. I love clearing space, next I want to get rid of my entire old professional wardrobe- that would clear out 1/2 a closet!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#17 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM

I am 12w today, still seems unreal to me that we are having another baby.

We had a long weekend with DH and oldest DS out of town. We got a new puppy right before they left, a very young puppy. I was exhausted all weekend. DS1 is taking responsibility for the pup...as much as you can expect from a 12yo.

Holly - I can't imagine driving that long. But, I have more kids to deal with. I would keep searching for cheap flights.

Hope everyones nuchal scans come back fine. I would have never wanted to know with DD. It would have been cool to know about her heart defect. But the OB even missed that on the 20w ultrasound. That is why I don't bother any more. If they can't find a huge heart defect...

I hope everyone has a great week. We are taking another week off school for DS1. Back to the grind next week.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#18 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM

All the kids know for sure, well the 2 at my moms don't know when AND my 1st appt is today.
I am dealing(not well) with not finding a midwife again for this birth. Out of 8 births and 4 different locations odds are I would have one at home but either it has been illegal for the midwife and hard to find or legal just in the middle of nowhere and no midwife will travel out here.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#19 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Things have been going quite well here... DH has been home for 2 days, and it really helps. We're staying at a friend's house till Thursday and after that, we'll be back on the road for the whole month of August. We sold the house July 7th and will get the new one October 15th... The kids are handling the no-house situation really well, we live in the RV, so it's not like we don't have a place or anything

I bought maternity cloths this weekend and wow!! It's SO comfy, LOL... The Jeans have changed quite a bit since the last time I bought some! Old Navy had some really good deals on jeans (25$)...

We're not doing the Nuchal screening either, but I am doing the 20 week US, just to be sure what to expect. I already have a son with Cerebral Palsy, but he's quite OK... and they didn't see ANYTHING wrong, even though we had a ton of US because he was a twin...so, even there,I'm not putting all my hopes on the US...

Mama to 5 boys, F (13), J(11), R&X (8), L (2) and growing baby 6 due in Feb 11!!
#20 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post
The NT scan doesn't give positive or negative results at all - it's a screening test, not a diagnostic test. It gives results as a risk factor which in relation to the risk of the office's complication(miscarriage) rate to amnio (usually 1 in 250 is the cutoff or there abouts). So out of 100 people with a 1 in 100 risk (which would be considered positive for being at risk), 99 would be fine, but I wouldn't say that's "false positive". I think a lot of people assume the NT scan to be diagnostic which it isn't. You can have a 1:2 risk or 1:10000 but nothing is for sure either way. The NT scan will never tell you 100% that your child has a trisomy. The only way to find out 100% is amnio or CVS.

I also think people choose to have non invasive screening for a variety of personal reasons, just as people choose to not have any testing done.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#21 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

I might have had the screening if I saw an doc soon enough to have it done. I wouldn't do an animo so I am not sure though. I have seen people take the lack of soft markers over the amino saying yes which is sad then at birth they have so much more to deal with.
Even if there are problems I have no support system here so finding out early would just add stress while preg.

#22 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM

I'll admit it, I like all the ultrasounds, my insurance covers it and I LEAP at any opportunity to see or hear my baby. That said, I would never terminate a pregnancy because of test results, but I would try to find a support group and research the issue like crazy so we could be better prepared when the big day comes.

#23 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM

I don't do any early testing, but am planning an ultrasound. I was going to do the 20 week one, but I may push to do it a little later now, because my midwife brought up checking the location of the placenta, and I don't want to be freaked out unnecessarily if it's low at 20 weeks.

(I'm really really nervous about the ultrasound. I have a pretty strong gut reaction to seeing u/s photos, and don't want them to think that something is wrong with me if I don't want to look. I love my baby and love hearing the heartbeat, but...)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#24 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm doing the nuchal test ultrasound because I want a peek at my baby! All ultrasounds (everything, really) are covered by health care here so that's not an issue. I'm not concerned with the findings of the test at all, I would never terminate the pregnancy, I wouldn't even get an amnio to find out for sure. But if the test did show a more probablility of down's, spina bifida, etc I would do a lot of research and get as prepared as I could.

Really though, it's just so I can see who is in my belly!

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#25 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM

I chose not to do the nucheal test because of the three people i know in real life, they all got false positives for stuff. One of them almost considered terminating and luckily she didn't because her daughter was not born with down's and actually is extremely (extreeeemely) bright! She was reading at 3 years old.

I do not look down on anyone who does do the testing though. We will most definitly be having an extra u/s at 24 weeks to look closely at the heart. Like a pp I have a son born with a congenital heart defect so we are twice as likely to have another one. I REALLLLLLLY want to know ahead of time if possible because finding out your one day old needs life saving open heart surgery is not something I want to find out again...i'd rather know ahead of time.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#26 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM

I declined the NT scan and my OB talked me into it. She said it is a lot more accurate than past tests. She said 90% accuracy. But now there has been so much drama with scheduling I have to travel into San Francisco to have it done at an outside facility. Had I known it would turn into such a headache, I probably would have said no thanks. If my baby does end up having an issue, which I seriously doubt, I would need a lot of help and adjustment at home. Prep time would be nice.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#27 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 PM

I had my scan today and everything went very well. The perinatologist said "congratulations on another healthy baby." I feel very relieved. I am still sick though. I threw up my breakfast this morning. I am getting pretty tired of this. I'm so tired and tired of feeling sick. My due date chaned again to Feb 13. So I am 12w 1d. Please, please, please let me start feeling better soon. I am starting to feel like I can't take much more.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#28 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM

I didn't make my appt, I go tlost and couldn't find the place and they didn't answer the number I had for them

#29 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoallh View Post
I had my scan today and everything went very well. The perinatologist said "congratulations on another healthy baby." I feel very relieved. I am still sick though. I threw up my breakfast this morning. I am getting pretty tired of this. I'm so tired and tired of feeling sick. My due date chaned again to Feb 13. So I am 12w 1d. Please, please, please let me start feeling better soon. I am starting to feel like I can't take much more.
Could your doctor prescribe anything for you? It sounds like some of the ladies on this board have found some relief with Zofran

#30 of 91 Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendork View Post
Could your doctor prescribe anything for you? It sounds like some of the ladies on this board have found some relief with Zofran
I'm one of those ladies. I'm in love with Zofran. And, it's category B.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page