Winter Coat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never lived in a cold place and been pregnant at the same time. So! Do you cold weather mamas buy a pregnancy coat? Seems like a waste but also needed. I could always sell it after using it I suppose. Any thoughts? TIA!

Oh, and I am very sad that my beautiful, three times worn purple wool coat will sit in the closet this year. Le sigh.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#2 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Yes, I had to - I was pregnant in Maine through the winter, I had no choice.
I bought a maternity down vest and a wool coat. I got the vest at the gap and the coat at old navy. It's not like I could leave a normal coat unbuttoned in -15 degree wind chill... not so much. And for what it's worth, the wool coat is the most unflattering thing I have ever worn in my life...

Check ebay and then resell it on ebay and considering it "renting" the coat.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#3 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM

With my ds, who was born in early March, I wore an extra coat of DH's (a men's large). I'll probably do the same this year, or check out the thrift shops for a really large women's coat or M-L men's. It was also big enough that I could wear ds and zip the coat up over him after he was born I'm in Toronto and it gets cold enough for a winter coat around November til end of March at least (usually...)

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#4 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Even though I am in relatively mild NC, I work outside and will need some kind of outer wear.

I recommend consignment shops, ebay and craigslist!

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#5 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM

DDCC. I have a Feb baby (my #3) I wore my regular coat and just held it closed as best I could when I needed to wear it.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#6 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM

I had DS in CA, so I didn't need any heavy clothing. But now that we are in WY, it's a whole different story! I will wear my pants with a belly band, which worked until the end with DS. I haven't seen a maternity coat, but my mom has one from her pregnancy with me. We just have to elongate the sleeves, an easy thing for any seamstress. It's a maternity wool coat her seamstress-designer sister sewed for her back then! I'm glad I could get my hands on it!
#7 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM

DDCC - DS was born Mid-January (the coldest part of the year where I was from at the time, and the temp often hit -40 degrees)

I did not waste my money on a specialty maternity coat but rather went to the Salvation Army store and bought an extra large warm coat.

Afterward, I kept the coat... and I'm glad! It came in handy when I hurt my wrist and could not wear a coat normally!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM

My girls were both born in warmer climates so I didn't need a coat (I actually don't own a coat, Im in trouble if we get stationed somewhere cold!) but I did get several large sweaters (not maternity, just regular in size large) to wear when I got cold. I get cold easily so even when it isn't cold to someone else it is to me and I needed a sweater to keep warm.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, #1 was on Okinawa, then Texas, so no need. But Utah! Oy! I am thinking e-bay or one of the decent consignment shops here. The good news about Utah is that there are plenty of pregnant ladies selling their stuff! I would like a decent one. Not that I am *fancy* in the least but it would be nice to look put together when feeling so big and pregnant.

Oh, and I bought my first pair of maternity pants. I'm in love! So comfy.

Thanks for all the input! Navigation through pregnant waters can be tricky!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#10 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 AM

I don't need to buy one because one Christmas DH bought me this really nice coat but it is huge on me so I never wear it normally, but I'll get to this winter lol.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#11 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 AM

I don't know if I'll get a winter coat but I'm definitely going to need a pregnancy raincoat. It basically rains from September until June around here.
#12 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM

I wear my regular coat. It zips right over my belly. They don't make extra small winter coats as far as I can tell, so the small fits at least until I was done the last couple times. And by then it wasn't too cold anyway.

ETA: I might be a bit chilly this time since I'll be further along though giving birth around the same time as my last 2 and chance outgrowing the coat.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#13 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Um, it is 95 here. I *CANNOT* think about clothing at all, let alone a, WINTER coat. I'm not sure WINTER actually exists. I wish it did. Right here. Right now. In my livingroom.

I also heartily endorse going to goodwill or rummage sales. Also, my winter coat is an Eddie Bauer that I have had for...uh...14 years now. It is good because it has a draw string type thing across the belly to let it in and out depending on what you are wearing. It probably has several inches of movement. You might try on like, the next size up and see if it will move big enough. You can always then, in future winter cinch it down and just have a bigger coat. Just an idea.

Can't wait! BRING IT ON.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#14 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM

My stepmother already bought me one she found used on Kijiji (think Craigslist). So I'll be wearing that.

I still have to find boots though. And figure out what to do for winter Pyjamas. My flannels won't fit.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#15 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

I wore my regular coat. I was still able to zip it up. I pretty much maxed out the capacity but it worked. I dont think I would spend the money on a maternity one but we're on a budget right now. I would probably steal one of DH coats if I had to Im in MI and Adrianna was a feb baby too.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#16 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Last time (also due in February) I ended up wearing a sweater most of the time. The times I needed it I wore an oversized coat that I could zip. This time I will probably use a sweater and my normal coat. I won't be able to button it of course, but it should at least "help".

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#17 of 30 Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM

I HAD to share when I saw this! I'm "off season" from my first pregnancy, so even the clothes I had were "wrong" for size/season ;( Our local thrift store has honestly been a GREAT resource - I've popped in as often as I can during their once-a-week 1/2 off sales and have gotten LOTS of necessary cold-weather gear that I didn't need for my first :0
That said - we were at a yard sale Sat. and there was an Old Navy Maternity winter coat and I hesitated for a minute and thought "Will I really NEED a maternity COAT?" and the woman said "It's $1 if that helps" - SO DID - of course I bought it! I tend to like Old Navy's Maternity styles, etc. a lot - but only can buy on line now ;( I know hitting that right at a Yard Sale is one-in-a-million - but I'd think of Ebay, Craigslist, Yard Sales and Thrift Stores SERIOUSLY! I've gotten a few sweaters/jeans/cords - cold weather stuff I'll totally need! And I don't mean compromise to get it cheap - I personally try on almost everything/when I can I bet for the coat specifically Craigslist - could post it in "Baby" as a wanted item...or probably Ebay would be good too! Good Luck!
#18 of 30 Old 08-20-2010, 01:20 AM

http://www.themcoat.com/

If I were made of money, I would totally buy this! It's only $385! lol

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

#19 of 30 Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 AM

I know this is kind of crazy (especially since we are kind of strapped for cash) but I kind of want the maternity coat from Japanese Weekend. It's $200 but it can also be a regular coat afterwards and I actually like the look. It has a panel you can put in when you're pregnant, and another to use with a baby in a carrier, or you can wear it with no panel. I'm cold all the time and the thought of not being able to do up my coat in the winter scares me. I'm also due for a new coat really and I like that I could wear this one afterwards. But still, it feels extravagant.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#20 of 30 Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly_P View Post
http://www.themcoat.com/

If I were made of money, I would totally buy this! It's only $385! lol
That is kind of awesome. Of course I'm not sure I'd want to buy one without trying it on... And since I don't feel like dropping nearly $400 for a coat or driving 4 hours to Vancouver... I'll have to pass.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#21 of 30 Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM

My DD was due March 8, and I just wore my regular coat. I have a down-filled coat from Lands End that I love, and is perfect for the frigid Minnesota winters. It probably helped that my coat wasn't fitted (there was no way I could have worn my beloved J Crew pea coat since it's fitted) and I had bought it a little big so I could wear sweaters under it.

My mom insisted that I had to have a maternity coat, even after I told her my down coat would probably expand. She bought a pea coat style coat from Old Navy, and didn't include a gift receipt so I couldn't take it back. There is no way it would have been warm enough for the winters here. I still have it - I should put it up on ebay or take it to the consignment shop.

Mama to DD (March 2008) and expecting another breastfed, cloth-diapered little one in Feb 2010.
#22 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
I know this is kind of crazy (especially since we are kind of strapped for cash) but I kind of want the maternity coat from Japanese Weekend.
Looks like it works similar to "the m coat". My only concern would be the warmth. I don't know where you live, but it doesn't really look warm, and it's warmth isn't even advertised...just that it's water resistant and comes with a hat to keep your baby's head warm. Maybe there are better/more reviews about it's ability to keep you warm, on other sites?

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

#23 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly_P View Post
Looks like it works similar to "the m coat". My only concern would be the warmth. I don't know where you live, but it doesn't really look warm, and it's warmth isn't even advertised...just that it's water resistant and comes with a hat to keep your baby's head warm. Maybe there are better/more reviews about it's ability to keep you warm, on other sites?
Sorry - I should have clarified that. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Our main problem is rain. For 5 months. It's more of a fleece lined raincoat that I could wear layered over sweaters to keep out the chill and the damp.

When I was pregnant with dd, I could no longer zip my current rain coats when I was about 6 months pregnant and then it turned to spring so I was ok. I know they aren't going to cut it beyond 6 months.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#24 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 AM

i live in indiana, and my son was born in the middle of january...so yeah.

i would've probably just sucked it up and either been cold or stolen my husband's coat but then he would've been without a coat, so...

my mil bought me a maternity winter coat for my birthday (end of october) from old navy. it's a kind of wool (but not really) swing coat in an enormous size. it's not what i would call cute, but...really, is there anything that looks cute in the last stages of pregnancy??

so far, two of my best friends have had need of it since then, and i will use it again for this pregnancy.

the best part though was the cold snap the week before my son was born and my feet being so swollen that i couldn't wear anything but flip-flops in sub zero temps. my mom felt sorry for me and bought me some of those fake crocs with fleece on the inside of them in some enormous size. they were pretty much hideous. but at least my feet didn't freeze.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#25 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
Sorry - I should have clarified that. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Our main problem is rain. For 5 months. It's more of a fleece lined raincoat that I could wear layered over sweaters to keep out the chill and the damp.
Ahh! Then that makes perfect sense

#26 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 PM

I had a February baby last year, and I meant to buy a winter coat but never really got around to it. Most of the pregnancy winter coats were more "stylish" than "warm," so it seemed a waste of money. I had a Land's End down vest (it was like $20 at Sears) that was very roomy and I wore it over a sweater or two when I went out. Regular shirt+cashmere sweater+mens wool sweater+down vest+pregnancy hot flashes are probably guaranteed to keep you warm no matter the climate! But, really, it wasn't a terribly cold winter last year. We hardly had any snow.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#27 of 30 Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 AM

i got one already. i just got it from another mama who was selling off some of her maternity stuff. it's a nice wool one from thyme. Very nice...

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#28 of 30 Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 AM

I just thinking of this thread, its raining like cats and dogs over here. I wonder if I can find a maternity rain coat. We are getting into typhoon season and Im tired of getting soaked then entering the store with the AC on. I got a cold last week Im pretty sure from doing just that. Of course, I might want to invest in an umbrella as well. I think Im the only person I know who doesn't own one over here since it rains like 300 days out of the year or something like that.Im sure I could find something out in town, I just have to go look.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#29 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 AM

If you (or someone you know) sews, this pattern is pretty good--
http://www.elizabethlee.com/patterns/nc206.htm

You do need to measure yourself first, as I've found her patterns, esp this one, very generous in size... though you'd probably want that for layering a sweater under it...
#30 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I do sew! Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page