Do you have your name list narrowed down? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *think* that we do. Early (15 week) us looks like a boy but I'm not counting on it until the 19 week 3D.

I was wondering if anyone else is having any luck on names. My issue is this silly man I call my husband. He is The Veto King. Le sigh. We have sort of agreed on:

Samuel Horn S. (Sam)
Margaret Lilly (Maggie and/or Milly)

What about you?

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#2 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Yes, I think we've decided. However, it's SOOO popular. It's a top ten name in the US. Honestly, I had no idea since I don't know any younger children with this name. Would you guys use a really popular name? (BTW, it's pretty traditional and biblical.)

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#3 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Personally, I wouldn't use a popular name because my own name is popular for my age. As a kid, I hated being known as FirstName/LastInitial all throughout elementary school!

That said, baby names are my DP's hobby. (I'm serious.) She can tell you the top 10 boys and girls names for the past 5 years. She also knows the fastest rising names, fastest dropping names, etc. It's a little scary!

Anyway, she tells me that it's not the same as it used to be with popular names because people are drawing from a much bigger name pool than they were 30 years ago. So, whereas I was one of 4 in my class, the more popular names now might only have one other kid in their class who shares the name. So if you really love a name, I wouldn't let it's popularity stop you!

(Did that all make sense? Preggo Brain is in full effect this week!)

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#4 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Not really, It's harder naming boys let alone 2 of them lol. I think we are pretty sure on one name just trying to figure out the other.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#5 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Dh and I are waiting for the 20 week ultrasound to start the name debate. We know it'll be another war, so narrowing the choices down by 50% is important to us.

I'm anti-popular names, but that's just me. I'm a Sarah, and there were 4 Sarahs in my class at one point. Things may have changed, but I take no chances and the entire top 100 list from Social Security's name list for the last 5 years (and all spelling variants of those names) have been blacklisted.

Part of my madness is also to avoid DH telling me he's fallen in love with a particular name on that list, since I tend to like unusual and hippie names. Names associated with nature and mythology are right up my alley! I also avoid biblical names since DH is an atheist and I'm Wiccan.

That being said, your child's name is important and if you've fallen in love with a popular name, perhaps you should go for it. There's a reason it's popular. A lot of people agree with you that it's pretty/nice.

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
#6 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
Yes, I think we've decided. However, it's SOOO popular. It's a top ten name in the US. Honestly, I had no idea since I don't know any younger children with this name. Would you guys use a really popular name? (BTW, it's pretty traditional and biblical.)
My oldest son has a name that has gained a lot of popularity in the last 10 years (skirting top 20 now), and it's not a big issue. Even as popular as his name is now, we still have only run across a scant handful of kids with his name in the past decade.

I think it's more important to avoid names that are super popular in your local area. I'd definitely not want my kid to be one of the 4 _______s in his class.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#7 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM

No, we're in a huge stale mate. Boy first name is settled, but middle name is a war. Girl name is such a sensitive issue that we can't even talk about it, but the midde names are set.

And the worst is that every time we start arguing DH pulls "Well, we'll just name him after our fathers, do you like John Keith or Keith John." :

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#8 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Nope. Every name I have suggested he has shot down. We have no list or anything. I should start one and then let him circle the ones he likes.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#9 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

We've had names picked out for years lol. It will be either Isaac Dakota or Rachel Kathleen. And we find out today!

Quote:
Obviously I have no problem using common names since DS2 has the name that's often #1 and the other 2 are pretty common. I prefer more common names that don't go out of style over the unique or trendy names that won't be in style in 5-10 years.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#10 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM

Regarding name popularity, I'm a Kelley, and when my parents named me, it was still primarily a man's name. It exploded about five years after I was born, and then was Barbie's little sister's name, and I pretty much hate it. I will always bear resentment towards my mom's college roommate, who convinced her not to name me Vivian (a name I love) because of "I Love Lucy." I'm sorry, who even REMEMBERS that there was a Vivian on "I Love Lucy?" NO ONE, that's who.

I guess my point is that the best laid plans sometimes go awry, you can't know about a name's popularity in a couple of years, and if you love a name, you should use it! Having a classic name (as many popular ones are, these days) never goes out of style. I wish I had a time machine to predict name trends, though ...

As far as baby names over here, I've decided to just let it be for a while. I'm having more trouble with baby names (especially boy names). I think we'll know the perfect name when we see it, so I'm halting our search for now .

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#11 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM

I don't care much about popularity, as that changes quickly. We like traditional names that work in both our languages and are gender-specific. It's easier that way. My name wasn't popular when I was born, but gained in the late 90ies and now there are lots of girls with my name, but it doesn't bother me really.
I find it so hard already to find a name that I like and that works in two languages... Especially boy names, they are incredibly hard. I have settled now somewhat on names.. Wilhelm (Will) or Leopold (Leo) and Eloise. I'm sure it's a boy though
#12 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Well we have begun a list, but I'm working on broadening it, not narrowing it down

We have agreed on either Alice or Willow for a girl (possible middle name Barbara-Lee after my Nana who is Barbara, and my mom and I who have Firstname-Lee).

I finally got dh to agree on 2 boys names so those possibilities are Alistair (derived from Alice, who was his grandma) and Kennedy (derived from his grandpa who was Kenneth & also is dh's middle name). I LOVE Marvin for a middle name for a boy (ds's name for the baby while in utero) and dh says it's a possibility, otherwise middle names might be Murray Robert or Robert Murray (our dads).

Both my other kids have 2 middle names so this one may, unless it's Marvin then we may just go with one. Marvin's really growing on me, but I still think I won't do it for a first name.

Still looking for a couple more options, the name won't be decided until after he/she is born. Names are so hard! Ds' name was picked out about 6 months before he was conceived Dd's name was the only one we agreed on during pregnancy and we didn't lock it down until she was 4 days old cuz we just weren't sure but we didn't have any other names we liked! Fortunately she is TOTALLY a Bridget, in fact she's Bit because that's how she said her name when she started to talk, Bitbit.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#13 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Name popularity... I'm Laura and I've always loved my name. It was very popular when I was born, but the fact that I grew up with a couple other girls named Laura never bothered me.

That said, I was concerned about popularity when I named my DD. We loved Emma, but nixed it because everyone we knew was using that name. We also loved Claire, and wound up using it because it wasn't as popular as Emma. When we named our son, I had to throw popularity concerns out the window because there were ZERO boy names we agreed on that weren't in the top 20. So his name is Andrew, and it hasn't been a big deal. There's one other Andrew in our immediate circle.

This baby will be named after my deceased mom, so the name list is definitely narrowed down. Her name was JoAnn Marie, nn Jo. So this baby will be Joanna Marie or Joseph Wesley. I'm 100% sure about the boy name. If it's a girl, there's a small chance we'll name her something else with JoAnn as a middle name. Both of our other children have first names we liked and middle names that have some sort of significance. We've considered Rachel JoAnn instead of Joanna Marie, but we'll see.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#14 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

We are a family of baby name drama! Jackson was to be an original yet classic name to honor my grandfather Jack. Um....not so much! There is always at least one other Jackson in his class. Oh well, he rocks it out so it's cool.

Now our daughter! Le sigh le drama. We COULD NOT agree on a name. So we are both neutral on Allison and we go for it even though I feel all blah and yuck about it. I wait...and wait...and wait...to love Allison and don't. She has been and will always be Alli BUT I don't like that for a full name. SO before we left Texas we went to court and changed her name to *her* name, the one she should have had from birth- Charlotte. So her legal name is Charlotte Inglis S. but we all call her Alli. So I explain to people that she is like an outlaw, Charlotte "Alli" Inglis.

I am DETERMINED to love the name we pick this time. Not doing that drama naming experince again! Plus we have to know before DH leaves.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#15 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM

We know that if it is a boy it will have the middle name "Andrew", beyond that we are as others said broadening our options. We aren't ready to pick one just yet.

My name (Cassidy) was not popular at all, to the point that when people asked me my name and I told them they would ask what my "first" name was. This resulted in lots of technical errors because they'd put my name in incorrectly in different systems,etc. It's only been the past 5-10 years that I've encountered children named Cassidy. I don't know any other adults with my name.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#16 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and Horn as a middle name is a family name to honor my dad. Margaret would be in honor of my great aunt and that side of the family. Samuel and Lilly I just like.

#17 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Girl name- Reed Kylie G.
Boy name- Sebastian Henry G.

A couple thoughts on popularity, I work for the Girl Scouts and see sooo many Emmas, Haileys, Olivias, Hannahs,...all very pretty but I could never name my daughter any of those, there are just too many! I guess you never know how things are going to change in a few years. Reed is not at all common for a girl but I guess that could change. But then I guess I could consider myself a trend setter (Honestly something I couldn't care less about, lol.)

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#18 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM

We had names decided before I found out I was pregnant. For a girl its going to be Annabella Lynn (Annabella because I just like it, Lynn after my mother who passed when I was a teenager) and for a boy Thomas B****** (my grandfather-in-laws first and last name).
As for popularity things change so fast. My first name is Heather, I loved it growing up but there are a TON of Heathers. In fact in my small cycle of acquaintances there are at least 5 Heathers and we are all within a 5 year span age wise. Then it seems like there has been a gap of Heathers because I don't know anyone 10 or more years younger than I am that has the name.
Both my girls have old fashion names, one everyone figures I named after a Egyptian queen (I didn't, I just liked the name) and the other people keep asking if I made up. Nope, its been in my family for almost 300 years (I'm a bit of a genealogy nut) but its not really known to well anymore. Its like 555 on the popularity list and dropping.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#19 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM

We have been tossing around the same few names for each gender, but mostly for lack of exploring name options. We'll get serious about it once we find out the gender.

So far, we're talking about

Girl-Willa, Cora, Coral, Zora, Verity, Helena, Beatrice, and Zenaida
Boy-Jude, Asa, Matteo, Nico

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#20 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM

We decided on a name yesterday after we found out were having a baby girl.

Aubrey Rose

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#21 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 PM

we have hardly begun....it's a process here!

Mom to K and R

#22 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 02:55 AM

We have our names chosen.

And I hate popular names. To the point that I have a mini freak out every time I see someone consider my boy name on MDC. I'm such a loser. But I can't help it. I like things to be unique. And I doubt I'll see it around my area.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#23 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM

We had a big headstart due to babe #1 so it took us a year to get our final list.

Girls-
Audren Livia Marie
Ruby Eliza Jane

Boys-
Eli Andrew Zion
Liam James Joseph

I names and talking about them! I've seen lots of great names on this list so far! As for popularity, we wanted classic but not top 10. Except I'm pretty sure our boys' middle names are popular. Oh, well. They are mainly family names and that trumps popularity. Go with what you love and feels right to you. If this babe is a girl she will probably be Audren even though Ruby Eliza Jane is more a family name. We both just love it and it was our first simultaneous "Yes! That's it!"

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#24 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM

We have the boy first named pick out. Colin, after DH's older brother who passed away when DH was a child. No room for discussion, DH is set on this name.
So a boy will be either:
Colin Thomas
Colin Odin

Girl names we like but haven't decided on:

Lily
Lucy
Ruby

Our twins are Emily and Zoey, so if #3 is a girl, we'd like a name that ends in "Y" for the baby.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#25 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Our girl name has been picked since about the time the pee hit the stick.

We have absolutely ZERO for boys names. Ugh.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#26 of 30 Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
We have a Noah which is popular and traditional. He has been a Noah/initial already and he's quite proud of it. So sure I would. I'm a Jennifer. I don't mind more unusual names but see no problem with a popular name...not quite so keen on the trendy ones (which I kind of associate Jennifer with) without a lot of tradition.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#27 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Agreed. Popular is OK, trendy is not. But we can't even do popular because DH's last name - which he shares with our kids, my last name is the middle name - is VERY common. I always wanted to name a girl after my great-grandmother Hannah but it would be the contemporary equivalent of Jane Smith.
A girl will likely be Stella. That's the name we had picked out when we had DS. There have been a few celebrity Stellas but I just don't want to reopen the girls' name debate. Annabel is speaking to me a bit, though. Is it too cutesy?
For a boy, we're batting around Amos, Miles and Peter. I love Eli, though. Is it too popular or too similar to DS's name, Leo?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#28 of 30 Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Phew guess we were lucky.. no contentious debates ,a few discussions and we came up with both a boy and a girl name we both love!!!
#29 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
Our girl name has been picked since about the time the pee hit the stick.

We have absolutely ZERO for boys names. Ugh.
This is nearly where we are. Every time there is a boy's name we like there is some point of contention. The one name we agreed on, Rory, is very hard to pronounce by my best friend, who is Thai ("Lowly" is how it comes out).

I find myself waiting for the ultrasound and hoping for a girl just so naming isn't such a PITA.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#30 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

We've started our lists... The girl list is complete and the boy list will be started soon and then we'll go through and start nixing things.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page