Do any of you ever have foods on the no no list for pregnancy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every so often lunch meat. I ate pounds of it with my son. Lord did I visit the deli a lot.

This time maybe a sip of DH's beer but that's about it. My only sushi is fish free or cooked fish. Half-caf if I get coffee.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

I dont eat most of the things on the list anyways as I'm incredibly picky. What I would like though is raw pork meat like prosciutto and I'm hesitant... Now that I'm in Europe I'd love to eat it as I never get it back home... The problem with it (it is salted, cured raw porK) could be toxoplasmosis.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 PM

DDC crashing to say I'm in Europe as well right now on vacation (Netherlands and as of tomorrow, France), and I have DEFINITELY broken some rules. Coffee to get over jet lag, soft cheeses because I"M IN EUROPE, and a few sips of wine. I'm not worried.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM

WHAT?!! I didn't realize I'm not supposed to have feta! Oops!
I don't eat meat other than fish so I don't have a chance to eat deli meat myself anyways, but I personally think that nitrates/nitrites are the devil and I'm the "meanie" mom who won't let my son eat bacon or hot dogs even when Grandma serves them! *SIGH*! Just personal opinion. One thing that I know preggos are not supposed to eat is alfalfa sprouts, but I was craving them and grew my own and soaked them in water with aerobic oxygen before eating them. I guess I kinda eat what I want, but in a very paranoid way. I'm doing better than my first pregnancy, where if anyone even breathed a word that implied that something shouldn't be eaten, I wouldn't even touch it. I'm a little less paranoid this time around because I don't trust the government as much as I used to and I think that we as pregnant women (as long as we have made an effort to educate ourself about health matters) have better intuition about what is good for us, than someone sitting on a government committee putting a warning against some perfectly healthy foods that we just have to use common sense about and handle properly.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_mommy View Post
One thing that I know preggos are not supposed to eat is alfalfa sprouts, but I was craving them and grew my own and soaked them in water with aerobic oxygen before eating them.
so sorry to veer OT, but WHAT?!? Can someone please explain to me what might be the problem with alfalfa sprouts?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 PM

I dont remember exactly why but it was in my food safety class that sprouts shouldnt be served to people with comprimised immune systems, elderly, pregnant women, young children...etc because I believe they can grow bacteria quickly??? dont quote me on that though. Its been awhile since I took the class.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
so sorry to veer OT, but WHAT?!? Can someone please explain to me what might be the problem with alfalfa sprouts?
Apparently they can have salmonella or e-coli and the infection can be passed to the baby and cause serious problems after birth.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 AM

whoa I'm in trouble then. That's a new one.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_mommy View Post
WHAT?!! I didn't realize I'm not supposed to have feta! Oops!
Technically, this only goes for imported cheeses, or things you buy from maybe a local farmer etc. ALL cheese found in your American supermarket is going to be pastuerized and therefore safe enough not to worry about. IMO. You may want to limit it just in case, but who eats tons of it anyway?

ETA: Did you know you're not supposed to have cantalope either? I hate it, so that's never bothered me. But it's another one, like alfafa srpouts, that I bet gets overlooked all the time.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM

The sushi thing is ridiculous and I think shame on anyone who tries to make a preggo mom feel bad for eating it in the USA. The FDA requires that sushi fish or any fish or seafood actually gets flash frozen, even if it is going to be served raw. There is less chance of being infected by something from sushi grade fish than there is from cooked chicken! or now it seems cooked chicken or eggs

It's just another example of how authorities in the USA tend to require things without having EVIDENCE to base them on.

I don't follow rules not based on good evidence. It's silly to me.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post
ETA: Did you know you're not supposed to have cantalope either? I hate it, so that's never bothered me. But it's another one, like alfafa srpouts, that I bet gets overlooked all the time.
Oh my! I didn't know that either! I can usually take or leave cantaloupe, but last week I cut into one and ended up eating half of it! I washed the outside with a bit of soap before cutting, but never thought twice about whether I should eat it or not!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh brother! cantalope?! what's next? Water?!
it's all bs imo!

I feel perfectly safe simply listening to my body.

Mom to K and R

Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 PM

when i got pg with ds my mw suggested i give up nitrate and msg foods, after ds was born i tried to eat food with msg and learned quickly i just can no longer tolerate msg or nitrates...i get migranes from them i gave up caffiene with my other pregnancies and was going to occassionaly drink soda this pregnancy, but soon realized it gives me heart palps i can't eat right before bed, and cant have anything sugary 2 hrs before bed, my body doesn't like it. if i could have anything right now i would have some doritos and a coke but i will never be able to have doritos ever again (msg) and i don't plan to start drinking caffiene again after baby is born, that will be a big lifestyle change for me as i've ALWAYS drank soda. i know i'll be healthier for it though

i do eat the natural hormel/oscar mayer deli turkey, it's the only deli meat i can tolerate.

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)

User Tag List