Do any of you ever have foods on the no no list for pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am usually very careful but am starting to think that having things once in a while like deli meat and stuff might not be so bad, what do you think?

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 43 Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 PM

I've had deli meat twice so far- once I heated it up, once I didn't . Not something I eat often anyway.

Yeah, I don't put too much stock in most foods that are not recommended in pregnancy. I'm an everything-in-moderation girl

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#3 of 43 Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 PM

I've had quite a lot of sashimi, sushi, and poke during this pregnancy. I think it's just fine. I just avoid species that are more likely to have high mercury levels.

I'll also cop to eating raw cookie dough. A LOT of it.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#4 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

that makes me feel better about the pepperoni pizza i had for dinner:

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#5 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM

a lot of sushi
#6 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 AM

Well, I eat deli meats sometimes and soft cheeses but I just make sure they are pasteurized. I also eat sushi but only vegetarian or cooked (like dynamite and california rolls) - even when I'm not pregnant. Also we make homemade mayo and it has raw eggs in it.

I don't know if that leaves anything I'm not supposed to eat that I actually don't eat.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#7 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

I had really bad morning sickness so once I finally got my appetite back, my midwife encouraged me to follow my cravings. This resulted in one massive domination of a large pepperoni pizza (which I never ate pre-pregnancy) and the occasional deli sandwich. Stinky cheeses and sushi never sounded good to me so that wasn't an issue.
Hope this helps.
#8 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 02:02 AM

I've had feta a few times. And a couple of deli made turkey sandwiches.

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

#9 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 AM

I sneak a little bit of barqs rootbeer occasionally which has some caffeine. I also confess to having eaten a lunchable. I don't generally crave anything on the "no no" list except swordfish sashimi, and it's hard enough to get that I can easily avoid it. But everything in moderation is probably ok, as long as you know it's not contaminated with anything. Go ahead and have McDonald's soft serve... it's pastuerized so it's not gonna have listeria.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#10 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 AM

i don't even know what's on the no-no list ... whatever appealed is what has gone into the mouth! i still don't consider what i eat that great yet, but i've made a lot of progress since the morning sickness is mostly gone.
ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#11 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 AM

I put very little stock into the whole pregnancy no-nos, at least as far as food goes. I eat the same way when pregnant as when I'm not. I agree it's a moderation in all things issue. I don't normally eat a lot of raw fish at sushi anyway, and I never drink alcohol, so my diet really doesn't change. I think even unpasteurized dairy, if it came from a source you know and trust, would be just as safe as anything coming out of a factory. When you look at the big food scares in the past few years, it's all sourced to factories (peanut butter, eggs, tomatoes, bagged spinach...). I don't eat all farm raised food or something-- not at all. But I'm just saying anything we eat can have huge risks, and you can't make yourself paranoid because you need food. So I'd say go for it and just heat it up if you feel concerned. But I take a very relaxed view of this stuff, so do what makes you comfortable.
#12 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies, i'm going to be a lot more relaxed on the food front from now on

#13 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 AM

What is wrong with pepperoni pizza???

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#14 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 AM

DCCC~It's not on the no list, but caffeinated coffee. I avoided it with my last pregnancy too. I will on occasion have a caffeinated pop that is normally if i am at a family party, so maybe a 1 time every 1-3 months. It is said that drinking more than 3 cups of coffee increases your chance of miscarriage and caffeine also increases the babies heartrate.

But everything else i may have, i try to avoid msg, but i know i have it occasionally in chips, but i don't eat chips often.

I too try to avoid deli meat/hot dogs, but will have them on occasion too.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#15 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 AM

If I can eat it, I will eat it.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#16 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
If I can eat it, I will eat it.
hahahahahaha! Me too.

I eat soft cheese, from farms around here. Feta is my friend this pregnancy. I don't eat meat at all so I don't have to worry about that.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#17 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Ive eaten sushi and deli meat. When I get a bad migrane Ill drink a Dr Pepper, figure its better for the baby than the migrane meds I have.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#18 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette712 View Post
What is wrong with pepperoni pizza???
Pepperoni is not dangerous. I just try to avoid nitrates and/or eat it in moderation. I believe it's safer than other deli meats because it's salted and cured.
But the large pizza drowned in ranch I had was my best pregnant food memory!!! ;-p
#19 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM

My doctor said deli meat was fine, so I eat that fairly frequently. I did eat sushi in the beginning but then I had some that was overly fishy and it turned me off for a while. Oh, and my doctor recommended I drink Barq's rootbeer because it has a little caffeine since I was getting heachaches and it really helped to have a glass in the mornings.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#20 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM

I drink 1 cup of coffee every morning and I drank 1 glass of beer a few weeks ago. Guess I am on the naughty list

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#21 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 PM

I've been much more relaxed this pregnancy - drinking occasional coffee - half glass of wine here & there - I drink a lot of raw milk from a local farm - I had sushi once - etc. I've just made sure any of the raw stuff is from a reputable place & not from supermarket buffets (my dh has actually gotten food poisoning from cooked foods in buffets twice!)

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

#22 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 04:41 PM

I drink coffee everyday - my midwife says it's fine as long it's under 2 cups a day. I've also had 1/2 glass a wine w/dinner twice and prob. will have some more later - it's not very much (and not in public) and w/food.

DS has severe food allergies and this baby has made me allergic to a lot of food so I actually can't eat a lot of food that are ok - when I first read the heading of the thread was about foods you can't eat because of allergies and I was like YES! but no... FWIW I LOVED pepperoni pizza and deli sandwiches when I was pregnant w/DS - no harm done.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#23 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM

I eat and drink whatever I want. I stick to everything in moderation. It does not bother me to have anything on the no no list, the only thing my MW said to stay away from was tuna, but I haven't wanted that anyway.

Mom to K and R

#24 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 PM

This time I am eating soft cheese as long as it's pasteurized. No coffee or alcohol or sushi. I have had 3 deli meats sandwiches, and felt guilty about it. I try to stay away from nitrates and non organic, but sometimes it's difficult. I do my best.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#25 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM

I drank coffee through my other pregnancies but haven't been able to stomach it this pregnancy. It makes me puke. Which sucks because I LOVE coffee.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#26 of 43 Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 AM

I eat and drink without paying attention to "lists"

We do local, raw, organic milk which I culture into kefir and then strain into 'cheese'. I make it, I eat it. I trust a product which the farmer drops off at a friend's house and I know EXACTLY the day (and time even) that it came out of the utter.

I even nursed a mothership wit over the course of four hours during a cookout/multi course dinner with some friends last night.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#27 of 43 Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM

Tonight I had a raw oyster, which I'm sure must be a no no, and I thought of this thread while doing it. Haha. I've wanted to try them, and we went to a nice seafood place because my FIL is leaving tomorrow, so this was my chance. I thought it was pretty unappetizing, though, so I don't think I'll be making a habit out of it. It tasted like sea water, and who likes to eat sea water? My husband said that's why you put the sauce on, but if you order something just to taste the sauce what's the point? I totally didn't get it. random tangent there--sorry.
#28 of 43 Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM

I adore raw oysters monkey toes!!! OMG I've been wanting them, but I do try to stick to the rule or months that end in 'er and it's a little to close to August to me still.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#29 of 43 Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM

The only thing I avoid is mercury-laden fish.
Otherwise, I eat and drink whatever I feel like - coffee, the occasional small glass of wine or beer, sushi (it's all flash frozen to kill parasites, anyway), soft cheeses, raw egg mayonnaise or anything else.
I'm a big believer in safe food handling practices, though, which lead to a lot more foodborne illness IMO.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#30 of 43 Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 PM

No, I don't, never have, never will.
I just don't think it's worth the risk. And I don't want to have anything to blame myself for if something went wrong.
It's 9 months, I can do without whatever for 9 months, or I'd be worried.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page