New with an U/S question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I put off introducing myself here sooner because I just felt like I wanted to wait until I knew this pregnancy was a "sticky" one. Then time just got away from me.

I am 16 weeks today. I have had two hospital births, one birth center birth, and one home birth. We now live in a State where I cannot get access to a CPM in order to have a home birth at all.

So, my next appointment with the Dr. is in a week and the issue of my 20 weeks U/S will come up. I have been doing more research into the risks of U/S and am now considering skipping the U/S unless there seems to be a medical need. I was wondering if there is anyone else here who is considering skipping the U/S all together?
#2 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm curious about what information you have found in your research.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#3 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM

There are a handful of us on here who are not getting ultrasounds. My midwife doesn't recommend them unless there is an issue. I am ok with that, although I have many friends who homebirth and prefer to get ultrasounds.

For my first two pregnancies I was under military care and fought tooth and nail to not have any testing or ultrasounds. I ended up having the 20 week scan with both of them but that was it.

The last pregnancy I did not have one, although at one point we discussed getting one because I was measuring really behind, even though we knew our dates were not off. Then my belly caught up enough to ease the midwife's mind and we didn't have one.

I haven't had one yet with this one either. I never say I won't have one, but only if it is medically necessary.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#4 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

There is a "Doppler Danger" on Facebook. I have been reading her different posts and collected some references just in case the Dr. gives me a hard time.

http://www.drbenkim.com/articles-ult...pregnancy.html

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-babies.html

I am not completely convinced against U/S as of yet. But concerned enough to think twice about having it done "just because". It's hard sometimes not to feel like you're missing some "milestone" in your pregnancy when it feels like you're the only one skipping it.
#5 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 PM

I'm in the camp of homebirthers that feels much more relaxed after having one scan mid-way. I really think that the benefits outweigh the risks. I live in a smaller community and we would really need to drive to the next big city for a good NICU.

I've also had two for two precipitous labors and the earliest my midwife has ever made it to my house was 15-17minutes before the birth and that's calling her on the third contraction each time. Since it's really real that we could UC, a healthy anatomy scan gives me enough peace of mind that my husband and I could handle a baby until our midwife was able to arrive.

Of course that is just where I stand. Had I had different previous labors and perhaps if I was nearer to a decent NICU I might feel differently. Good luck on finding the decision that give you and your husband the most peace of mind.

And of course welcome and congratulations on your newest blessing!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#6 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 AM

I'd really like to, but being a VBA2C, I need to know where my placenta is, so I'm going for it.

I'm sure sorry you can't have a HB! I know it's rough to go the medical way after having experienced such a blessing

Welcome!!!

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#7 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM

for us it was a tough decision, us or no us. Last time we decided on a short one, not a full scan, just checking heart and spine. This time we will check dates too only because we are unsure of the due date. Good luck deciding!
#8 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 AM

welcome to the group! i am in the camp of not getting one unless we have a really good reason to. we had a big group discussion that was very interesting...if you want to read it, it's just a couple pages back on the list. written by outerspacemama and the subject thread is "what is the 18 wk u/s. trying to decide"...or something like that!

there are some really valid reasons to consider not having one, and many people who decide to not have one. and many valid reasons to have one. so, don't feel like you're alone, whichever camp you end up being in! good luck...and once again, welcome!

btw, i love that unhindered living site...i'll have to check out the others. thanks for the links.

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#9 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM

I did not have one last time, when I was birthing in a large children's hospital, but since I am planning a homebirth this time I feel much more comfortable knowing that my child had no major defects that would require immediate surgery and the location of my placenta.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#10 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM

I am in the camp of believing intervention leads to intervention. U/S leads to so many false scares. I know so many mamas IRL that have gone thru so much worry/stress and further U?S and testing for really no reason at all.

we had one last time for gender only but it was hard to get the dr. to stop once he started!
We will do the same this time. We only find out gender b/c I have a genetic thing that can only be passed to males and it helps us to know.

I did research last time i was pregnant and saved some of it. I will see if I can find it for you.

Mom to K and R

#11 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 AM

ah here we go...

Marsden Wagner has some great perspecive on u/s

an article from Sarah Buckley: http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...und-risks.html

and some others:

http://apt.allenpress.com/perlserv/?....0.CO%3B2&ct=1

http://www.alternamoms.com/ultrasound.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv....section.49499

this one talks about how the "routine use of ultrasound in pregnancy should be discouraged." :

http://stason.org/TULARC/child-paren...ltrasound.html

Ultrasound

The problems with ultrasound are many.

* Unborn babies are being exposed routinely to a technology that has not conclusively been proven safe.
* Practitioners are becoming so dependent on machines that they are losing their hands-on skills.
* Machines are increasing the level of fear around birth as practitioners become less connected with the essential process. The rate of surgical birth is soaring.
* The routine use of scanning and the off-hand comment to women that the scan is being done to see "if your baby is all right" covertly and overtly implies that a scan can absolutely rule out fetal variations and defects. Women and families are led to believe that modern technology guarantees them a perfect baby. It is therefore imperative that as midwives we counter this worldwide cultural trend by being very clear about the benefits and deficiencies of ultrasound exam procedures and emphasizing that no one can guarantee anything in life or in birth.

Parents must be told in no uncertain terms that it is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect detection of all fetal anomalies even with the most expert and through scanning, regardless of the method used and the stage of pregnancy when the exam takes place. The skill of the technician and the quality of the scanning equipment are critical to the accuracy of the exam, the degree of ultrasound to which the fetus is exposed, and whether existing problems will be detected or nonexistent ones accurately ruled out.

— Anne Frye, Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year, Labrys Press, 1997

Mom to K and R

#12 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM

#13 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the input!
I live in an area where most women walk in the door ready for their epidural. "Natural" birth is extremely uncommon. It's nice to get to talk to other Mamas who understand where I'm coming from!!
#14 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM

I think whatever you choose, you will find support here!

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page