weight gaining question.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, i don't know how much i weighed to start with, i've seen talk of total weight gain, but i'm wondering... i gained 7.5 between my week 12 and week 16 appointments. is this about what y'all are gaining per month???

curious.

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually gain a lot between 12-16 weeks. With DS, it was 6 lbs; DD, it was 8 lbs. Not sure this time, but I didn't gain an ounce until week 13 or so and I feel confident that I'm up significantly now. For me, since I lose so much weight at the beginning, I feel like I'm bound to gain a lot in a short amount of time at some point since I have some "catch-up" weight to gain along with normal pregnancy weight.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to how much I gain but between my 9wk m/w appt and the last one at 17wks I had gained 5lbs.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#4 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Had my 17 wk check up yesterday. I am +5 lbs. Doc wasnt concerned and said everything is right on track. He did mention exercise but just because its good to do while pregnant and at this stage my energy level is better.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#5 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 AM

With my other two pregnancies, I gained a lot once or twice between visits, and my weight gain evened out or even stalled between the others. I gained something like 10lbs before my first prenatal appointment at 10 weeks this time, and another 5 between the first and second. But i started out as a twig.

My midwife says if there's significant weight gain that becomes a pattern, she can become alarmed, but otherwise there's a large range to what's normal.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#6 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm up 3 lbs in 4 weeks, but was up 5 lbs the four weeks before. I th8ink I've gained a total of 10-15 lbs so far at 17 weeks (I'm 18 now but I don't weigh myself)

With DS I was gaining 1-2lbs a week first months and 8-10 months 2-3 lbs a weeks. Total I think 80, but I lost much of it quickly and I think a good portion was water weight. I'd lost I think 40lbs by 6 week check up.

If you feel good I wouldn't worry...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#7 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM

In all my pregnancies I've had months when I had sudden growth spurts of 5-6lbs during the 2nd tri. With my first I gained 7lbs between 13-17wks. I'm still waiting for a sudden spurt this time, I'm sure it'll hit soon as these 2 start packing on weight.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#8 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I think from what I've learned from many of my friends is that weight gain is vastly different between women and even from pregnancy to pregnancy. I'm average weight to start. With my first 2 pregnancies I gained 30 lbs almost exactly, and no weight gain the 1st trimester. Then steady weight gain the last 2 trimesters. This pregnancy I put on almost 10 lbs the first trimester. I'm up to about 12-14 lbs at 19 weeks.

I also find it tough to weigh myself at appt's. Depending on when the app't is, what you've eaten/drank can definitely influence the scale. I weigh myself once a week or so first thing in the morning to keep an eye on things.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#9 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much ladies! really interesting to see all the different varieties of weight gain in here! i don't have a scale at home, and never normally know my weight, but i did find it really fun to see how much i'd gained. i'm not worried about how much or how little, but i do think it'll be great to see how much weight i gain between this appointment and the next...as you guys said to see if it's growth spurts or steady.

yeah! growing baby, growing mama!

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#10 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 PM

I think its different with each woman/pregnancy. First pregnancy I was up 12 by 19 weeks, gained 60 total. Second I was up 10, gained 40 total. This time I was up 4.5.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#11 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM

in that time period.. 12- 16 weeks... no weigth gain weigh loss actually.

but i'm usually pretty regualr once i start gaining at about 1-3 lbs a month

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#12 of 40 Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM

I think I gained 4lbs by 13 weeks. I am 16 weeks now and am not sure what I have gained. I am still wearing my regular clothes though my smaller shorts are no longer comfortable.

I go to the midwife next week at 17 weeks but she doesn't make me weigh myself so I doubt I will. I prefer to not get weighed if I can help it. I am sure I have gained because I have been starving!

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#13 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I gained 70 pounds with my first, and nothing in my first trimester. I lost it all (though it took 2 years). I didn't really do anything to lose it but nurse him.

I was back to my pre-preg weight when I got pregnant this time, though I'm gaining a lot less. I ate SO MUCH, and a lot of junk last time, so I'm just trying to eat healthy with little treats, and walk a bit, and I think I was up about 10 pounds at 17 weeks. Who knows what the end number will be, but a healthy baby is what really matters, our weight will eventually come off!

April. Homeschooling mama who is living for balance in life.

~Live simply...so others may simply live.~

#14 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

so true april...but i look forward to seeing how much i've gained between 16 & 20 weeks... about a week and a half left. then to see how much i gain altogether.

i'm one of those people who have a hard time gaining weight normally, so it's a bit weird, but definitely great to see the morph into pregnancy goddess. and it seems to come on so easily now! at least those 7.5 pounds did!

ashley

#15 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 AM

I normally refuse to weigh myself but my midwife was worried about me gaining enough weight so I weighed myself at the gym the other day. I am up 12lbs at 18 weeks. I could starve myself during pregnancy and still gain weight That cracks me up because normally I have trouble keeping weight on. I mean, I am eating an awesome healthy whole foods diet, running 30km a week and hitting the gym for weight training 3 times a week but I still gain! Of course, I want to gain because it means baby is growing.

I have gained weight differently with each pregnancy; I find it really interesting.

My pants and skirts are starting to get uncomfortable so I imagine I will have to move up to maternity clothes soon.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#16 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 AM

I have gained 10lbs in 5 weeks, we looked back through my histories of weight gain, and here in the middle I tend to have two visits of HUGE leaps like around 10 lbs each and then I begin to gain very slowly until the end.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#17 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM

I'm up 14lbs total. Apparently this is perfect since I started out kind of slender. I expect to do a pound a week from now on. As much as I'd be ok with doing less, I know that this is the healthier thing.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#18 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 AM

i had a bit extra weigth still from my last so i'm not surprised to be losing a bit of weight.

But i'm growing outward.. i definalty have bit of a belly going okay... okay i definatley have a belly . but I lost a bit the first while with my second and i'm eating so i'm not worried

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#19 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
I have gained 10lbs in 5 weeks, we looked back through my histories of weight gain, and here in the middle I tend to have two visits of HUGE leaps like around 10 lbs each and then I begin to gain very slowly until the end.
This has been my pattern, too. More weight gain at the beginning (up 18 lbs at 20 wks), and less over the rest of the pregnancy. I've gained between 35 and 45 lbs with all of my kids and it looks like I'm on track to do the same again. Not that knowing that makes me any happier about it. . .

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#20 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 06:51 AM
mcs

i started my first pregnancy 10lb under where (underwear??lol) i was with my second, but i the end, gained 42 pounds with each. i know that i had some weeks of more/less gain than others, but i don't remember when or if i seemed to follow a pattern.
with this pregnancy, i was much more sick and must have lost a bit in the begining- monday's appointment was the first time i had gained. i was up 5lb. and feeling really good about it b/c my belly is quite a lot bigger than with my other two and i wondered how much was coming out of my own nutrition or if the baby was getting enough. (not worried, but thinking, you know?)

and last week i was sooo hungry all day everyday! i knew that all of the eating must be for something. though all of the energy i put into cooking probably cost me some- why can't i crave simple things?? lol

i eat when i am hungry and what i am hungry for (luckily i don't want only cake all day) and figure that my body kind of knows "today is protein day" or "we are making fatty brain cells today- i think you better have some nuts and put in a call for french fries." i don't feel like eating much fruit though, so i have to make a little effort for that.

on a side note- a friend once told me she read that you store fat for nursing in your thighs. thinking of that can sometimes make a glance in the mirror a better experience.

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#21 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs View Post
on a side note- a friend once told me she read that you store fat for nursing in your thighs. thinking of that can sometimes make a glance in the mirror a better experience.
i figured all the fat was for that! you know, so we both have plenty of food stores for the winter! like the squirrels! because i've packed some on my thighs, my butt, my face cheeks...not to mention the breasts

my body is surely getting ready to breastfeed!

ashley

#22 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybrook View Post
i figured all the fat was for that! you know, so we both have plenty of food stores for the winter! like the squirrels! because i've packed some on my thighs, my butt, my face cheeks...not to mention the breasts

my body is surely getting ready to breastfeed!

ashley
I just bought some yoga pants from old navy online. I read all the reviews to figure out what size to buy and everyone was like, "these pants are huuuuggge in the thighs/hips, so order such and such size." And many of the reviews made the point of saying, "I have pretty big hips/butt/thighs, and I still needed this smaller size." So, I got the smaller size and wouldn't you know it, they are TIGHT on me!! Not skin tight, cutting off my circulation, but still totally hugging my fat

All to say, my bottom parts are packing away the fat for sure!

#23 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

#24 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

I gained 10 pounds between today (20 weeks) and 4 weeks ago at 16 weeks. WTH.
The crappy thing is I started this pregnancy with 10# of pregnancy weight from the pregnancy we lost in Feb, so I'm already up 30# total from pre-prepregnancy. Umm gross? I gained 60 with my last 2 so I guess I'm on tracj to gain that again. Le Sigh.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#25 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Hm. I really dont know what I weighed before pregnancy because I dont own a scale. So all I know is that between week 11-14 I gained 3 lbs. Weeks 15-19 i gained 5 lbs. Mid wife said one lb a week was acceptable. I feel like i have gotten HUGE this past week (20) and my belly is so round. 10 years ago I gained so much I quit counting.... it was scary, Ive always been a thin person and if my clothes get too tight i exercise more. I THINK i gained about 10 lbs 1st trimester so over all 18lbs so far...
I really wanted to be one of those cute tiny girls who only gain 15-20 lbs but its not in the cards for me.
My goal to get the lbs off post baby is bf and Run my bootie off working towards a marathon April 2012.
#26 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM

I still haven't gained anything and am at a -5 from the weight when I got my BFP.
Baby is growing great and my belly is huge for nearly 20 weeks.

With my twins I gained 40lbs total but most of it was in the last part of pregnancy. I have no clue how much I'll gain this time.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#27 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
I just bought some yoga pants from old navy online. I read all the reviews to figure out what size to buy and everyone was like, "these pants are huuuuggge in the thighs/hips, so order such and such size." And many of the reviews made the point of saying, "I have pretty big hips/butt/thighs, and I still needed this smaller size." So, I got the smaller size and wouldn't you know it, they are TIGHT on me!! Not skin tight, cutting off my circulation, but still totally hugging my fat

Which ones did you buy? I have an old pair from them and they are so comfy I was considering buying another pair.

My weight gain has slowed in the past four weeks, I'm currently up 17 lbs since getting pregnant, 2 of those in the past 4 weeks.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#28 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM

They had two kinds of stretchy pants, one with a wide leg and one without. I got the one without, more of the traditional yoga pant. I got a medium. Pre-preg I'm a size 8, 135 lbs. Now, I'm 158 lb. And most of that gain is in my butt, thighs and boobs

#29 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM

I think I'm up between 4 and 8 lbs so far (20 weeks). I don't know exactly my weight pre-pregnancy so it's hard to tell. I was overweight before getting pregnant, so I'm hoping not to gain very much. As someone who has struggled with their weight for years, it's been a little scary seeing the scale go up

~Laura~
mom to Adam -  01/25/11

#30 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 PM

I've gained 18 lbs at almost 20 weeks. I expect to gain between 40 and 50. I do notice my butt is getting pretty big. And my boobs are huge too. And back fat is starting.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page