Why on earth am I torn on this name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When DS was little I got a Putumayo CD of lullabies from around the world. One of our favourite songs was a song called Naima. I used to sing it to him on my own (even though the words I sing are probably totally different from the actual lyrics ) to calm him sometimes. Absolutely gorgeous song. But my second thought is of Naima, one of the America's Next Top Model winners. Not that I didn't like her at all or that she turned me off of the name... I think it's more that if anyone recognises it it's more likely to be from ANTM. And I'm more at myself for even caring about that.

My other favourite song from that album is an Australian aboriginal song and I've been looking a lot into aboriginal names so, to me, Naima would be even more fitting to go along with an aboriginal name.

Someone tell me I'm just crazy and that I should put it on my list like I've wanted to since I first heard the song?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's a beautifiul name.
And really, 5 or 10 years from now who's gonna remember that particular model from that show anyway?

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#3 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM

I think it's a beautiful name, and I haven't watched America's Next Top Model in years. So I wouldn't even know.

I agree with kimmypoo, who's going to remember that down the road? Anyone remember someone who didn't win from the first season of Survivor?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM

If you like it don't worry about what people might think.
My girls name DH and I picked is Annabella, Bella for short. I mentioned it to my brother and he said "Oh you just want to use that because of Twilight! Thats sad!" (he was joking by the way, he liked the name he just likes to give me a hard time) Umm, no I never made the connection. Point being people are going to think what they are going to think, if you like the name don't let it stop you.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM

OK -- "[You're] just crazy and [you] should put it on [your] list like [you've] wanted to since [you] first heard the song"! Seriously, don't let yourself be dissuaded from a name you love just because of a contestant on some random reality tv show. Your daughter's peers will have no idea what ATNM was, much less who was on it. I think the name is beautiful!!
#6 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM

ITA with the others! I dont usually watch that show, I don't think anyone will make that association and I think the name is beautiful!

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#7 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How do you say it?
#8 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I don't think you are going to like all my answers!

1) I think people's opinions and feelings about names change. When I was young I wanted to name my daughter Jasmine because I thought that was just the ultimate in glamor and cool. Not so much my feeling now. That's okay. At the time it seemed wonderful. So, if *YOUR* feelings about the name have gone a little luke warm, regardless of the reason, you don't have to put it on the list and you don't have to talk yourself into loving it again. You can put it in the box of memories and thoughts from younger/different times. Luke Warm = Leave it off!

2) Of course, if you love the name, put it on the list! I couldn't name any of the ANTM participants or winners so I wouldn't here Naima and think that is where you got it from. I connect the name as a variation of Naamah from the Bible. But I also had a student by that name so when I hear it, I think of her as well. Love it = Goes on the list!

Naming is hard work mama!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#9 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you! I guess I just needed to voice my ridiculous concern to help me just get over it. It's officially on my list now. Of course I don't plan on 100% picking out a name until the birth because she may just kind of name herself. With DS I ended up going with a name that I REFUSED to use because it fit so well. His name is Ezra and the only reason why I didn't want to use it is because I used to be a big Hanson fan (yes, the MMMBop kids ) and Taylor's son's name is Ezra and, though I'm not a huge fan, I still see them when they're in town and I just didn't want to be "the girl who named her kid after Taylor Hanson's kid." It just fit so well when he was born, I couldn't pass it up. So the couple of Hanson shows that I brought him to I made sure that when someone asked his name I immediately told him that it was in NO WAY after Taylor's kid.

philomom, it's pronounced Nye-ee-muh. Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrZpDAGr0s

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 13 Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 AM

If u love it add it to the list!!!
#11 of 13 Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM

we have that same CD and i LOVE that song. it's so beautiful. I have also known one naima and she was very beautiful & smart. i agree with other posters that no one will remember any TV winners ( i don't know that show so i wouldn't have made that association anyways).

put it on the list!

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

#12 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 AM

Who the heck watches America's Top Model? Only a small percentage of the population. And more importantly, who even remembers the contestants after a season?

I say go with the name you like, and forget what's on tv. It's a really gorgeous name.
#13 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM

I think Naima is gorgeous! I'm glad you decided to list it. Its too lovely to pass up over a tv show.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page