for those of you cloth diapering... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i'm so excited this will be our first to diaper, and though my husband really wasn't wanting to cloth diaper, i do...so we decided to start with both and see what works...so that led into all kinds of research on my end about cloth diapering...anyways, long story short. we ended up picking out different cloth diapers together on jillian's drawers, the gently used kind, we'll be starting with xsmall/small...just 3-4 of each and seeing what we like best...then ordering more when we've narrowed down to our favorites. btw, after picking them out i think my husband is much more excited about them! hopefully we can get it easy enough to maintain that excitement!

so, i ordered
3 fuzzibunz
3 thirsties fab fitteds
2 thirsties diaper covers
5 prefolds

and i tried to order 3 kissaluvs small, but had no such luck so i'm on the "to contact" list when they have more in stock...

i'm so excited i will be on the lookout for the package...hopefully this week!

what have you got? have you gotten them yet? have you used them before or is this a first?

who's excited?!?!?!

btw, for those with experience, can i just use trader joe's detergent? or do i need a special detergent? what's worked for you? yeah! love those cute little bums!

oh yeah, and one more question...i'm looking for a "diaper pail" not really a pail though, a bag that can go in the washer with the diapers...and hangs on the door handle. i saw one at one point, and can't re-find it, anyone have recommendations?

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 AM

cloth diapering can be good fun...especially the buying part. they are so stinking cute! BTW we loved the BumGenius pocket diapers. They grow with the baby so the fit from 8 pds to 25 pds...I think. they tend to be spendy but you can buy them for the majority of the lil ones diapered life. They a not the best for a newborn however.

for soap we used bio keen or Charlie's soap. i really liked charlie's soap.

we also used a high end metal garbage can with the foot opener see

http://http://babyworks.com/cloth-di...d55dd1181f263a

there are great ideas for bags as well. we used one to line the garbage can and then popped it into the wash with the diapers.
#3 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 AM

We also use Bio Keen for CD detergent. I love Cd'ing too. Last time we didn't start until DS was 16 months and then he was potty trained by 25 months! This time i'm hoping to start once we come home from the hospital. I was thinking of bringing the diapers to the hospital, but I have heard that meconium can permantnely stain the diapers, so i figured i'd wait until that's all cleared out

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM

We're CD'ing again.
We prefer flat diapers and wool covers, we only use that the first few months at least. Then we have a bunch of fitted diapers to use when baby is a tad older, with wool covers again.
The wool covers are the only ones I'll use, they breathe properly and keep the baby warm even if wet.
We use liners if needed, and rice paper once the poop gets solid.

I'm sure you know you can't use fabric softener. Vinegar is great to use instead, keeps them soft and smell free. And liquid soap is the best.
They need to be washed a few times before they have the optimum absorbance.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#5 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM

We have such a missmash collection - we have prefolds, and Flips, and tiny fitteds and Bummis covers and wool covers and fuzzibunz. And that's just size small.

We use Tide free and clear, and never had any trouble. Rinse well (like twice at least) and every now and then do an extra cycle with no soap.

I'm a firm believer that there is no perfect system, so I like to have a little of everything so that I have the perfect diaper for this moment.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM

I <3 cloth diapering!

Right now on current lo we're using a mix match- mostly FB, a few fitted (Motherease) and some prefolds. I'm starting to dislike pockets though (I think it's pg related and pulling the stuffings out) and will be doing mostly prefolds w/the new lo, and fitteds. Also I want to get a few more Soft Bums because the one we have is not enough and they'll fit lo and bo both! Also I like that they're simular to pockets but just snap in so not as much touching of the ickys!

Oh we wash in All Free and Clear- lo has extremely sensitive skin (think acid burn blister rashes) and this is the only detergent we've found that works for his skin.

I have a Bummis wet bag. Used to have a garbage bin but got tired of carring it up and down stairs and the bag is much easier!
#7 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 AM

We bought FuzziBunz new for the size small for Maiya because I wasn't sure how my mother-in-law who watches Mai during the day, or how Tom would handle cloth diapering. They did wonderfully, so we bought pre-owned FBs off of diaperswappers when it was time to size up.

However, I'm getting some moxie for number 2 here, and we bought GMD prefolds and wool covers this time around. I'm hoping MIL is going to be jazzed about learning to Snappi! LOL!

Seriously, I wish I would have gone with PFs from the beginning because it was half the cost of the FBs and I have never had a blowout with either, even in the beginning.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
#8 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM

I will be CDing again! I love it and try to convert as many people as possible. I think if one breastfed and CD'd the world would be a better place

This is cloth diaper baby #4 for me so I have fallen into a routine as I know what works for me, my kids and my husband.

For the newborn phase I have:

12 size 0 Fluffymail AIOs (they have been through two of my kids and two of my nieces/nephews and are in perfect condition)

12 trimmed infant prefolds (I get someone on HyenaCart to trim them for me so there isn't that extra bulk in front)

12 newborn Elbee fitteds diapers

6 xs Very Baby AIOs
6 small Verry Baby AIOs

knit wool covers (that I knit myself) and 3 newborn Bummis Super Brite covers.

This means I only have to wash every couple of days which my husband appreciates seeing as he does the laundry while I rest.

I wash with 1/4 cup regular laundry soap (free and clear organic stuff) and then do a second wash with a cup of vinegar. No stink ever.

Prefolds are the best during the newborn phase. Cheap, long lasting, and can be converted to rags when all the kids are done with them!

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#9 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 AM

We didnt start CDs until DS was 6 months (no interest in potty learning yet!,) so I added lots of small things recently:
Preemie prefolds, preemie fitteds and covers (homemade), infant prefolds (unbleached pfs mostly), small covers and fitteds and pockets (homemade - flannel, bamboo, pul and wool, aplix and snaps)...
I already had coolababy and nubunz pockets (real workhorses, cheap), some Happy Heinies, Bamboo AOI, other AOIs, 27 premium pfs and 36 econobums plus medium covers (wild mix)... i think we have plenty!
As for wipes, I made flannel wipes which we use for the face now. For poop cleanup, washcloths are the best thing, they clean so fast! I bought cheap ones at walmart and ikea. Disposable wipes stink compared to washcloths - I need two to clean DS after a poop, and 10 disposables for the same job (as recently on the plane)....
#10 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Oh we have to wash with tide free, no natural detergent was able to fight the stink of pockets, natural fibers never stank for us....
I made two wetbags- so easy! We bought a tall trash can with step on lid opener at walmart for 13 bucks and with the wetbags it works great. No odor. One could put a couple drops tea tree oil or lavender oil or whatever on the bottom of the can (plastic) to make it smell nice.
#11 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM

For the first few months, I use:

prefolds and bummis covers
XS/S fuzzi bunz

After that, I use only fuzzi bunz, with disposables for night and sometimes out-and-about.

I love cloth diapering! With this being my 3rd, my initial investment is definitely paying off!!

I wash with Tide.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#12 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 03:33 PM

I forgot to mention I use a big tupperware like container for the diapers. They sit on top of my washing machine. It has a lid and fits the perfect amount of diapers needed for washing in my machine.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#13 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM

I love using cloth. I have a 2 year old still in cloth so we are doing a lot of one size diapers (which is what we did when my oldest was still in diapers too).
We do BumGenius AIOs (love) and FuzziBunz (love) the most of all.
We do have some flip covers and prefolds to mix it up.
we have goodmamas (from 1-2 year ago with #1 that still are great) that we'll us too.

This place has great wetbags. I have a bunch of the small ones for 1 diaper.

http://www.lesliesboutique.com/category_s/87.htm

Also, www.hyenacart.com is great for wetbags, wool, diapers, etc. (all WAHM made).

Spots corner on hyenacart is a great place to get used diapers for cheap.

Also, because I'm neurotic this is our stash of newborn stuff. Purchased either before I was pregnant this time or literally like 5 seconds after I got my BFP.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#14 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM

I will CD, this is our first and I don't know what to buy yet and have do idea what I need and no family close to help me shop.

I am inclined towards prefolds, that is what me and little brother and sister had. Obviously I don't recall my own diapers, but I do remember my siblings wearing them so they are familiar. But maybe not the best choice?????

As an aside, when I was a kid most of the kids in the neighborhood wore cloth diapers. I think it just seems normal to me. Disposables seem so expensive! Also, we don't have trash pick up, DH has to take it all to the landfill, I imagine disposables would mean he had to take the can to the dump way more often.
#15 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM

I know a lot of people that love prefolds and covers for the duration of diapering. I personally like fitted diapers and covers. Some people love pockets and others AIO. I believe that there is no perfect diaper just a system that works for a specific baby and family.

Big Momma
#16 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM

I cloth diapered M until he started having a dietary issue that made diapering inconvenient. I've decided not to CD the new baby since I will have 2 in diapers and I'd rather not do one of each. I did love it when I was doing it... but I just can't imagine adding that extra work with a 3rd baby. I used goodmamas. I love them. And they are so cute. I actually have to sell them all now and I'm having a hard time parting with them...

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#17 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 PM

We're cd'ing again. Last time I used a mix of pockets and prefolds/wraps from birth and it worked great except that I hated stuffing the pockets. With the older two, I really liked fitteds and prefolds.

This time, I have enough prefolds in each GMD size to wash every 2-3 days plus velcro wraps and wool covers. I'm also having a great time sewing a stash of fitteds (thanks in large part to the info at diapersewingdivas.net). I'd like to make at least a dozen in each size.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#18 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 AM

Love it!

Last go around I had a mix of everything you can own! Seriously!

Now I am going for the new FB pockets and Flips. Easy easy but boring boring.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#19 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Personally i use a mix of diapers:
DH likes AIO and AI2 only.. He won't use any other type.
I like AIOs or fitted for outings and prefolds at home.

As for washing I use Arm and Hammers.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#20 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM

OkiMom, that's funny. DH prefers prefolds, and will use almost nothing else. (He will stretch himself to a pocket.)

When DS was born, we only had a giant stack of infant prefolds, and I wasn't doing all the diaper changes, so I made sure DH learned how to do the angelwing fold, and knew how to use a snappi. We practiced on a Cabbage Patch Doll. So that's what he knows how to do.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#21 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 AM

We didn't venture into cloth diapering until my older child was four months old, so newborn cloth diapering is a total mystery to me, but I really think it's got to be easier than I think it is.

For the newborn stage, I've got:
18 infant prefolds
6 newborn fitteds
24 kissaluv 0's (which I bought for like, $10 and need to replace the elastics)
3 xs thirsties covers, 2 sm
4 knit wool covers/pants

Then I have:
15 SOS diapers (supposed to be one-size fitteds, but they fit newborns sooner than Goodmamas?)
20 Goodmama one-size fitteds
30 one-size pockets like Bum Genius or Blueberry
24 prefolds in the next size up
and a mishmash of wool covers and PUL (thirsties again, etc)

We've got a lot of stuff lol! Kinda caught the cloth diaper bug HARD with my first child. Good thing you can reuse cloth and then resell when you're through! That, or bless another family with your stash.

We've got cloth wipes- a mix of terry baby washcloths, homemade flannel wipes, and WAHM bamboo velour wipes. We just put water with a tiny drop of Dr. Bronners into a spritz bottle and spray either the wipe or the bottom.

We have two extra large wetbags that hold a load's laundry each- when one is in the wash we fill the other up. I do diapers twice a week. I also keep a medium sized wetbag in my diaper bag for while we're out- it's nice to contain the smell/moisture. I also have a wipes-sized wetbag that isn't a necessity but I like to be hyper-organized when it comes to baby stuff lol.

We've always used Planet liquid detergent.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page