Nipple Crust? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I have noticed little bits of whitish stuff on my nipples. Like, in the holes. Does anyone else have this? Is it milk/colostrum?

I usually pick them out before I shower. Then I shower but don't soap my chest. Should I leave them there? I pick them out because it feels better after I do and I don't want to plug a duct or anything. But if my body is doing it maybe I should just leave it alone...does anyone know???

Thanks!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
mcs

i don't know what it is, but i have the same- well, similar- mine looks a little more like tiny scabbing over the nipples. like i said, i don't know what it is, but i don't think you should pick it off. i had it with my last pregnancy as well- i don't think i did with my fisrt. i'll ask at my next mw appoinment.
while taking a shower the other day, i asked my dh if he thought it was yucky and he said "no, it looks like a little bee came and sealed you off till the next baby comes." this is a much prettier way to imagine it than "scabs"- i like it.

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#3 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 AM

I have the same thing. I put oil on my belly, breasts, etc to keep everything moisturized, otherwise I itch. When I rub the oil on my nipples, all the crusts come off - feels like sand:-) But, once I do, my nipples stop itching like crazy.

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#4 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had that every pregnancy. I think it must be colostrum. I, too, think it looks kinda yucky, so I occasionally pick at it, but it always comes back. Also, it looks raw and "open" after I pick it out, so I really try not to do that. All I could think about last pregnancy, though, was how DD's first swig of colostrum was going to have crunchy stuff in it . But, of course, I never thought about that as I was nursing her the first time, and then when I remembered to look later, it was all gone. Our bodies work

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 AM

I have had this for, like, six years! It went away a lot a year after weaning but even then I would have a little every week or so. Totally normal.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#6 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM

I also have had this since I first started breastfeeding like 6 years ago. It didn't even go away in the one instance where I wasn't pregnant or nursing.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#7 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Jenne--I'm so glad you asked this question... i was just looking at my nipples yesterday scratching my head. anyways, i just leave mine alone, but they neither hurt nor bother me. but good to know!

btw, i did just read in a nursing book whenever you deal with the nipple to wash hands before touching...so if i was going to regularly pick it off, i might consider washing the hands just before, if i wasn't doing it already. but it doesn't bug me at this point, so i'm just leaving it as is.

thanks again!
ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#8 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM

I have it, too. I have to warn you, though. When I was pg with my 2nd child, I was a little obsessive about picking it out. Well, somehow, I must have picked more than the crust, because a piece of my nipple came off and now I have a permanent crater in my left nipple. So, pick with caution. It's been 3 pregnancies since then, and my ugly nipple doesn't look any better.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#9 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Yes i do believe it is colostrum and it will continue to leak more. I remember when I was preggo with ds, it would leak out onto my arm at night. I'd wake up with a little trail of crusty/stickyness from my nipple onto my arm (if i was topless haha sorry tmi) or some inside my shirt/nightgown.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#10 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Yup, I had it last time - hasn't started yet this time.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#11 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

I heard before that it's dried colustrum. I'm not sure though. I just checked now and when I tried flicking a piece off my nipples started leaking.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#12 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM

I've had it every pregnancy and it just started this time too (in conjunction with breast growth which has just happened in the last week or so).

I rub it off gently in the shower but otherwise leave it alone.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#13 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Actually I lied - there it is, with a leak underneath. (I'm a complusive picker of all things.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#14 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd be willing to bet it's colostrum. I had the same with DS but assumed it wasn't colostrum because I never actually leaked. Later on I realised it was probably just so little that it stays in the nipple pores and crusts up instead of actually leaking onto stuff. Then about a year and a half ago I noticed a bump on my nipple, kind of like a pimple, and when I popped it it looked just like milk. I'm pretty sure it was a milk blister. Then I started examining my nipples more closely after that and realised I had a very small amount of whitish stuff in the pores and if I squeezed it a tiny bit more would come up...not as much as when I was pregnant with DS and it really was hardly noticeable, but it was definitely there. This was a year after DS weaned. I've pretty much noticed it ever since, whenever I bothered to pay attention. Around 16 or so weeks with this one I noticed it increasing, very similar to with DS. There's definitely some stuff in my nipple pores and I'm 99% sure it's milk. It's just way too little to actually leak, although at 16 or 17 weeks I did have one incident where I wasn't wearing a bra and I felt a slight tingling/midly burning sensation in my left boob and a few minutes later I realised my shirt was wet right against my nipple (every time I've had the sensation since I've been wearing a bra so I can't see anything on it). The only difference so far with it this time and with DS is that with DS my nipples itched BIG TIME and I think was part of that. That said, I'm pretty sure I was further along when I noticed it (though I wasn't exactly inspecting my nipples on a regular basis so who knows how long it had been there). So we'll see if I itch this time...I'm hoping not!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#15 of 18 Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 AM

I remember it last time around, but not when it started. This time it started at around 17 weeks. I didn't think I'd make colostrum so early.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#16 of 18 Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Me too, white crust, like dandruff. I have seen it since DS weaned recently. I did pick it though and now there is very little that rinses off with water, I am pretty sure it is little amounts of colostrum that dries out...
I won't pick anymore, but if there is stuff that is stuck, I will prolly use the wash pouf or gentle loufa or something, cause I'm obsessive compulsive with such things. I just can't stop it.

with DS, I started leaking around 26 weeks or so, so I guess the issue will resolve rather soon when a heavier flow of colostrum will start... I already got the nursing pads out of the basement and washed them again. Ohhh and I brought those wool/silk ones from back home, they are so soft!
#17 of 18 Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 AM

I've had this through most of my pregnancies and I recently tested my boobs with a hand pump and to my surprise, tons of clostrum came out!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#18 of 18 Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 AM

yup normal..... wouldn't stress about it

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page