Food for freezing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have started to think about foods to freeze for after this baby's birth so I don't have to cook for a while. My mom has a small farm, and too many chickens, so she just gave me some stew hens which I cooked, deboned & now am making stock from the bones. Probably I'll make some chicken stew & freeze that.

I'm hoping to do a few lasagnas as well.

What are you freezing? I need ideas My plan is to make a huge batch of something so we can eat it for supper that night & freeze the rest til February!

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#2 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM

Great thread idea.

I'm planning to do this too. We have a mid-sized chest freezer that we just picked up on Craigslist so it's pretty much empty right now. My goal is to have 30 meals in there by baby-time so that we can potentially go a month without having to prepare dinner. I'm glad the baby is due in Feb because it's easier to make winter-style meals for the freezer. My last baby was born in June and there just wasn't much that we could freeze that we eat in the summer.

I'm planning:
Chicken pot pie
Lasagna
Shepherd's Pie
Lazy shepherd's pie (this is with a chicken and veggie stew on the bottom & stove top stuffing on the top)
Scalloped Potatoes
Spaghetti Sauce
Basil Tomato Cream Pasta Sauce
Chili
Beef Stew
Chicken Stew
Several soups (Chicken Corn Chowder, Potato Leek, Hamburger Soup)
Chickpea & Potato stew
Cabage Rolls
Polenta with boursin & tomato sauce
Acorn Squash & Feta Casserole

The sauces and stews I freeze in the large size Ziploc freezer bags and for the casseroles I get aluminium containers (like take out containers with cardboard lids) from the grocery store (usually found in the baking aisle where the aluminium roasting pans). Not very environmentally sound but the only time I do this on this scale is when I'm pregnant so....

DH also volunteered with a community garden this year and they just harvested 2/3 acre of potatoes which he and the other volunteers processed into samosas and perogies so we have several bags of those in our freezer too.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#3 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM

I need to pull out my list to check but last time I frozen about 45 days of food. It came in so handy because DH could go home from the hospital (he stayed daytimes at the NICU with me so I had some moral support) and just pop something in the oven for him and DD1. Then when I got home I didn't have to worry about cooking at all. My church was suppose to drop by meals but out of the 6 days people said they were coming they actually showed up 2 (and they were both later in the week after we got home) so Im glad I didn't have to worry about trying to deal with cooking and recovering.
This time I dont' know if Ill be able to cook before hand. I hope so. It saved my bottom last time and saved a TON of money.

ETA: Heres an idea that someone gave me when I was pregnant with DD2. When you freeze soups do it in cups (put the baggie or whatever in, freeze it then remove) that way you have single sized potions you can just grab and reheat. Saves on waste, you don't have to defrost a whole bag for one bowl of soup. I didn't do it last time but I probably will this time if I get a chance to cook).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Twice baked potatoes. Make a huge batch and freeze, wrapped individually. Makes for good quick lunches or snacks or re-heat a bigger bunch at one time for a meal.
#5 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

I"m planning to do chili, spaghetti sauce, Shepherd's Pie, Stew and that will unfortunately fill my tiny freezer. I'm so jealous of anyone with a deep freeze!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 PM

i want to freeze meals, too! these are all great ideas. i did a few things with my last pregnancy and it was soooo nice those first 6 weeks to not have to worry about dinner all the time.

how far ahead can we start making and freezing meals?

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#7 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Slowly working on this project, too.

So far I have: (in the deep freezer, divided into portions for DH, the twins and I)
Lasagna
White Chocolate bread pudding
White bean chicken chili
Bean burritos
Lots of Waffles for quick breakfasts for the twins
Pot Roast, veggies and potatoes

Basically, on the weekends I cook a HUGE meal for that evening and divide the rest for freezer storage for when the baby arrives. It makes the task more manageable.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#8 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtwinMama View Post
White Chocolate bread pudding
Good for you for thinking of dessert too!!!

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#9 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 AM

I am going to do the same thing I did with my last birth:

1 tray lasagna- half veggie/ half meat
1 tray enchiladas- half veggie/ half meat
2 pizza doughs
1 container minestrone soup
1 chicken pot pie
1 container veggie soup
1 container tomato soup-- items for grilled cheese in fridge!
1 bag frozen waffles and pancakes
2 smaller containers of meatballs- 1 to use for subs, 1 to use for pasta
1 container marinara sauce

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybirkel View Post
i want to freeze meals, too! these are all great ideas. i did a few things with my last pregnancy and it was soooo nice those first 6 weeks to not have to worry about dinner all the time.

how far ahead can we start making and freezing meals?
I do them all one month before, so I will be cooking in January. I try to do one every other day or so until stuffed.

But you can freeze meals for 3 months or more depending on the meal, the packaging and your freezer temp.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#11 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Bluebird mama I am so copying your list! What great ideas!! When do you ladies start?

Mom to K and R

#12 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM

I started cooking for the winter in August. I made lasagna. Then we have a soup a week and I freeze the leftovers in mason jars- qt and pint (pint is perfect for one). I like using mason jars because they are reusable and I don't have to worry about aluminum. But the lasagna and casseroles will be in the disposable aluminum pans...oh, well.

Soups:
Chili
Chicken noodle
Winter sweet root vegetable with chicken
Cream of Brocilli w/ cheese
Tomato

Casseroles:
Chicken rice and brocilli
Beef stew
Chicken pot pie
Burritos
Chicken and dressing

Great thread topic!

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#13 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
Acorn Squash & Feta Casserole
This sounds delicious, can you share the recipe?

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#14 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 AM

i've got to say, the idea of freezing food leaves me in the dark. though i think it's so wonderful to have this for after the baby comes. but, we really eat everything fresh, like fresh grated veggies, etc. i guess the only thing i can think of would be a vegetable soup that i make...otherwise it's just fresh, usually raw veggies prepared in some olive oil/vinegar sauce...which doesn't inspire freezing.

i'm not sure how i'm going to be prepared...we are dependent on going to the store every 4 days to 1 week...eeks. and preparing food when we want to eat... double eeks.

i think i'm in trouble!

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#15 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM

If you eat cooked food at all....there actually have been quite a few studies on the nutritional value of veggies frozen and proteins, cooked and frozen from fresh that have shown that they retain all the properties if stored correctly. So really the only thing you are doing is putting in the freezer, wrapped correctly, and when it comes out and is reheated (again, you have to reheat slow in the oven, this matters Vs shocking it in microwave iirc but I'd have to look again) it's exactly what you would have eaten prefreezing.

There are tons of great vegetarian dishes that can be frozen with great success.

all this is assuming you cook food, I know many here are raw diet eaters; not sure freezing would jive with that lifestyle.

#16 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I am SO impressed by you all.
We only have the fridge with our fridge and NO room to freeze anything but the normal stuff in there.
Do you all have separate freezers?
We don't.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#17 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 PM

finnegansmom, no I don't have a seperate freezer, and, while I know it's more efficient to have some space for air to circulate, it's worth it to me to freeze a few casseroles in their dishes and put things like stew and chili into baggies (which can be laid flat to freeze) so that they take up a minimum of space.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#18 of 24 Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 AM

we just have your standard fridge with top freezer...it's not really all that big. What I do is that I buy my meats bulk and re-bag them by serving size. This allows me to store them without the foam tray under them and they fit neatly on one side of the top shelf. I keep frozen veggies in the freezer door. The rest of the freezer can then be used for meals.

I have to do a clean out before this time around or nothing will fit. Gotta get that in ever so often!

#19 of 24 Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
This sounds delicious, can you share the recipe?
Will do. Remind me by DM if I forget. It really is so yummy.

#20 of 24 Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Cujobunny, please share! It does sound great

I plan on doing this too but will start in November. I have a deep freeze so everything should last for awhile.

First, I have to preserve the 5 bushels of organic apples I harvested! Applesauce, apple butter, frozen apples for baking and pancakes and cinnamon-apple syrup. Then I will be making hot pepper jelly; my lemon drop peppers and jalepeno bushes need to be harvest NOW.

I would like to have a month's worth of food frozen by end of February. I hope this thread will serve as inspiration! I didn't do this with the last one and I had no help after the birth (DH started a new job and had no time off) and meals were hard.

I will start with:

muffins
waffles
bread
tomato soup
lasagna
mac and cheese
baked ziti
variety of enchiladas
cream of broccoli with cheese soup

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#21 of 24 Old 10-04-2010, 03:10 PM

I will be doing this too. Last timde I got around 20 meals frozen. I was going for 30, but didn't make it. This time I'm determined to do more because it was a much bigger adsjustment period than I thought it wuld be. I did about 2 meals/ week for the last few months before the birth.

But we are potentially moving to another state in the next few months, and I don't really want to drag a freezer full of frozen meals across country (We'll already have to dry ice our 1/4 cow and all the appleauce,etc & stock I'm making for winter.) So I'm thinking I'll have to wait until December. Crossing my fingers we'll be moved by then!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#22 of 24 Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 PM

I guess then we need to rethink our freezer. We have a new fridge with the freezer on the bottom, it's 2 drawers and it kind of stinks. Not as big as I thought it would be, although our last fridge died and was was a side by side which stunk even more because it was SO narrow nothing wider then a box of waffles could fit in there.

I want to get a small chest freezer, for deeper storage but we live on a dirt road kind of off the beaten path so if/when we lose power we may not get it back on for a day or two (or three). I'd hate to lose everything.

I would love to make some soups though, even just for me to heat up for lunch since it'll be winter and i love hot soup in the winter (with fresh baked bread). yum

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#23 of 24 Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 AM

I got a cookbook of freezer meals today. Now I just need to wait on word our extension got approved out here before I start freezing.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#24 of 24 Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 AM

DDCC

I got the best piece of advice last time I was pregnant and planning my freezer cooking and wanted to pass it on because it saved me so much heartache.

Try to cook some allergen free stuff too, mostly dairy and soy free. My daughter reacted to dairy and I was so thankful that I only made one pan of lasagna, and kept the cheese separate on my enchiladas. Most of my other stuff was dairy free. I made a point to use earth balance or olive oil in my baked goods too.

Luckily she grew out of the dairy reactions by about 6 months, but Im so glad I hadnt cooked my original freezer plan which was just chock full of dairy. My hubby would have been well fed, I guess. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page