Heartburn Relief...what works??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-09-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i got the goat's milk kefir...like some recommended and have been on it a couple of days. i also heard lemon water is good...so i'm using that too. plus i looked up alkaline foods...and have started that this morning, plus going to the store to stock up on those today! i also heard digestive enzymes...but i keep forgetting to take them before i eat.

so what's worked for you in the past? what ideas do you have.

thanks mamas! i've never had heartburn before and it's not so fun.

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#2 of 18 Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Papaya Enzyme. I pop them many times a day. Works almost instantly!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#3 of 18 Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 PM

I have to second the papaya enzyme. I have a bottle in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, one by the bed, and a small bag in my purse!!
#4 of 18 Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM

I, unfortunately, never have had luck with papaya enzyme, so I take a Zantac (ranitidine) when I'm really uncomfortable. I'm only having really really bad heartburn a couple times a month, though, not the constant burning that I think papaya can be helpful with. I should get some papaya for the coming trimesters, though, as my stomach is starting to get squished and constant heartburn is going to become more of a problem. I think I remember reading somewhere that papaya enzyme can cause placental problems, though - does anyone know anything about this?

Stay away from Tums - they often contain aluminum.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#5 of 18 Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas! they're on my to buy list today!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#6 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM

With the exception of the heartburn I get after drinking coffee, mine responds (dies) with extra acid. Anything I eat that's heavy with protein or fat.

Papaya or other digestive enzymes work. So does eating pickle or two. So does drinking water with a capful of apple cider vinegar in it.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#7 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Tresa - ACV has all kinds of other benefits, doesn't it? I know it helps to keep blood sugar stable. Can you do raw ACV while pregnant?

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#8 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

what's ACV?

#9 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Apple cider vinegar. I don't know if it's an actual abbreviation. I'm just lazy .

#10 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

complexophelia--sorry about that, i should have been able to figure that out with Tresa's comment actually ACV (hehe!) makes me feel too acidic...i know it's supposed to have the opposite effect, but for me it doesn't. but i do agree, it's totally good for you!

i do think i'll try the increased protein/fat too, because i've actually been eating more normally, which for me is less/no meat...so maybe that's what's causing the change in the first place... something else to experiment with.

thanks some more ladies!

ashley

#11 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Almonds helps me, while I'm eating them.
I haven't been bugged more than a few times.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#12 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM

What ingredient in Tums has aluminum? I have a bottle right here and it doesn't list any aluminum compounds.

I have to say, they are the only thing that fixes the heartburn for me. I sometimes wake up choking on acid reflux. I try to track what foods will do it, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason. I really had a bad night after some cherries!
#13 of 18 Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post
What ingredient in Tums has aluminum? I have a bottle right here and it doesn't list any aluminum compounds.

I have to say, they are the only thing that fixes the heartburn for me. I sometimes wake up choking on acid reflux. I try to track what foods will do it, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason. I really had a bad night after some cherries!
"GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare does not add aluminum during the manufacturing process of the TUMS® Tablets but one of the raw materials used in TUMS® does contain negligible amounts of aluminum, measured as parts per million (ppm), ranging approximately from 100 to 500 ppm. "

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#14 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Even plain water gives me heartburn sometimes. It sucks. Things that help me: milk of mag, sleeping at 45 degree angle (lots pillows), eating only small meals, and never eating before bedtime.
#15 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Papaya Enzyme. I pop them many times a day. Works almost instantly!
Yes! It really works!!!
#16 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Taking notes....I didn't have heartburn before w/DS and never outside of this pregnancy. It's getting really bad, no matter what I get it in the afternoon and all night - I feel like I'm going to throw up sometimes. At least I think this is heart burn. Pregnancy introduces me to so many weird things I never actually experienced before and had only heard of.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#17 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 05:39 AM

Just bought and tried zantac (ranitidine) today. It worked right away, is truly amazing. I was in hell last night, so wanted to pass this along in case anyone else has tried all the natural stuff w/out relief and is desperate. It's category B (safe).
#18 of 18 Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforbes View Post
Taking notes....I didn't have heartburn before w/DS and never outside of this pregnancy. It's getting really bad, no matter what I get it in the afternoon and all night - I feel like I'm going to throw up sometimes. At least I think this is heart burn. Pregnancy introduces me to so many weird things I never actually experienced before and had only heard of.
So true. I also never have heartburn outside of pregnancy. Yeah, nausea can be part of it -- I threw up violently last night, but still had that awful burning feeling in my chest by midnight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page